SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses Login/Join 
posted
http://www.independent.co.uk/n...-court-a7693671.html

Russia has banned Jehovah's Witnesses after the Supreme Court ruled the Christian sect to be an “extremist” group.

“The Supreme Court has ruled to sustain the claim of Russia's ministry of justice and deem the 'Administrative Centre of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia' organisation extremist, eliminate it and ban its activity in Russia,” said judge Yuri Ivanenko.

“The property of the Jehovah's Witnesses organisation is to be confiscated to the state revenue.”

A lawyer for the justice ministry, Svetlana Borisova, told the court adherents “pose a threat to the rights of the citizens, public order and public security”.

Judges ordered the closure of the group's Russian headquarters and 395 local chapters, as well as the seizure of its property.

Lawyers for the Jehovah's Witnesses said they would appeal the court's decision, which has not yet come into effect, and could take the case to the European Court of Human Rights.

“We will do everything possible,” Sergei Cherepanov, a Jehovah's Witnesses representative, was quoted as saying by the Interfax news agency.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Knocked on the wrong door, eh?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My paternal grandfather was a Jehovah's Witness. I can affirm that they are extreme.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Amazing.

A related article that provides much more information:

http://www.independent.co.uk/n...church-a7667371.html

They may be “extreme” in the sense that they are evidently very uncompromising in regards to their beliefs and went to Nazi concentration camps as a consequence, but in anything close to the sense of extreme Islam—? Ridiculous.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Amazing.

They may be “extreme” in the sense that they are evidently very uncompromising in regards to their beliefs and went to Nazi concentration camps as a consequence, but in anything close to the sense of extreme Islam—? Ridiculous.
My high school buddy was adopted by JWs. We played varsity football together and they hounded him about the violence of football (didn't prevent him from playing though).

JWs have also squandered fortunes in preparation for the end of the world several times.

To my knowledge, that is as extreme as they get.

Do I like them coming to my door? No, but I certainly wouldn't put them on the same extremist list as Al Qaeda and ISIL/ISIS like Russia just did.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Per the Law on Religion passed in 1996 IIRC, all religions that did not exist in USSR 50 years prior are banned. So Orthodox Christianity, Judaism, Islam, maybe Catholicism, and Baptists because there were a few. Other Protestant denominations including orthodox (small "o") Evangelicals could not proselytize. The Orthodox Church folks were very much opposed to Mormons as well as JW's.
In the mid-90's there were western missionaries all over in Russia, and it was easy to get a visa if you were a missionary.
Now no "humanitarian visas", no foreign funding, I believe no open church services but not sure about that.
We still know some American missionaries there, as well as Russians supported by western organizations.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
JWs won't swear fealty to a state or serve in the military. In Russia and other authoritarian regimes that would put one on the radar. I'm surprised there are any there. Russia has had a history of religious repression, both under the communists and the tsars, for centuries.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Amazing.

Yes, I was surprised that JW were interred at the Mauthausen concentration camp I visited. Gypsies, Spanish civil war losers, career criminals who had finished their sentence, Russian POW's, prostitutes, along with Jews were there. The Russian POW's were treated the worst, though.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I banned Jehovah's Witnesses from my property, along with the Baptists, 7th Day Adventists, and all the other loons.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If only the other devout groups around the world would follow the examples of the Amish. Quiet, polite, hard working, keep to themselves, do their thing, almost entirely positive relations with others, no army, no political party, no bullshit for the most part. Easy peasy.

Be like the Amish.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have more respect for Jehovah’s Witnesses than any other religious sect. I agree with virtually none of their beliefs, but they demonstrated more true martyrdom for those beliefs under the Nazis than any other example in modern history that I know of.

They sometimes come to my door, knock politely, I answer (or don’t, if I don’t want to; free will is a wonderful thing), we smile at each other, they give me their current tract and tell me a message, and leave. How I wish that everyone was as easy to get along with.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Per the Law on Religion passed in 1996 IIRC, all religions that did not exist in USSR 50 years prior are banned. So Orthodox Christianity, Judaism, Islam, maybe Catholicism, and Baptists because there were a few. Other Protestant denominations including orthodox (small "o") Evangelicals could not proselytize. The Orthodox Church folks were very much opposed to Mormons as well as JW's.
In the mid-90's there were western missionaries all over in Russia, and it was easy to get a visa if you were a missionary.
Now no "humanitarian visas", no foreign funding, I believe no open church services but not sure about that.
We still know some American missionaries there, as well as Russians supported by western organizations.

This makes sense to me. Who needs the scourge of these evangelical neo-christian mega churches in their country. It sounds like they ban Scientology under those rules. I guess the Russians get some things right.

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post