SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever taken a firearms training course?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever taken a firearms training course? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Yes. Mostly local instruction (defensive pistol and shotgun) with the exception of:
  • ~2013 took a 4 person 1/2 day skeet class with 5 time world champion skeet shooter John Shima. Two of us were newbies to shotgun sports, 1 grew up bird hunting but no other shooting, and the last had shot in a skeet league for 10 years. He was able to noticeably improve each of use in just 1/2 day. I could shoot both pair from any position.
  • the Gray Guns Houston class in November 2006. Here are 3 pics from class:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of mikeyspizza
    posted Hide Post
    The only paid training I've had is what was required to get my CCW in VA and NC.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
    Picture of 9mmepiphany
    posted Hide Post
    I've paid for several classes and most have been well worth the money that was spent. Each class was directed to a different technique:

Ernest Langdon - My first class that helped me become more comfortable with the DA first shot of my Beretta 92 and manipulation of the gun under stress

Bruce Gray - Helped me understand many techniques Langdon taught and gave me the ability to continue to improve my shooting and teaching ability. Plus it allowed me to teach with Bruce and meet a bunch of great forum members

Rudy Waldinger - Two classes that really improved my ability to "fight" with a gun. 1) High Speed CQB Handgun taught a lot of unconventional techniques proven in real life situations; 2) CQB Carbine really improved my comfort level in handling an AR.

Gunsite 250 class - One of those "bucket list" check boxes I attended as Media (so I didn't really pay for it). Another Fighting, as opposed to Shooting,experience. My big "take away" the difference between Weaver and Isosceles stances isn't that much...but that the theory of recoil management are polar opposites

Ben Stoeger - Purely a competition class that helped with mindset and stage planning

Rudy Waldinger (again) - Private instruction on how to run a revolver efficiently in competition. It completely changed the way I manipulate a revolver from the draw, through the grip, and the reload. He did for me, with regards to the revolver, what Bruce did with regards to a pistol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 9mmepiphany,

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have never taken a paid class as a non LEO. But I want to. Gunsite comes to mind. But I have been privileged to take a number of advanced classes from different instructors.
    My take away:
    When an instructor shows you a different tactic or procedure, give it a through test out to see if it works for you. If it does not, stay with what works for you. Just because you paid for a class does not make it magic.
    Shooting a handgun is a perishable skill so practice as often as can afford to do so.
    Keep your drills relevant to the real world circumstances that you may face.
    Fundamentals cant be practiced enough.
    Keep your gear simple, reliable and repeatable. Carry a full size Glock? If you want to go light, carry a smaller Glock.
    Handguns are weapons of convenience. If you know you will face a threat, always opt for a long gun. And train with that long gun.
    If you have a facility that offers it near you, take a F.A.T.s class. The training in how fast violent encounters evolve is worth its weight in gold. And if you can partake in man on man training such as Simunitions, do it.
    And weapons retention classes are valuable too, and not just for cops.
    If you are too broke for high speed, low drag advanced classes (and lots of folks are), practice, practice, practice your fundamental skills. Under pressure, you will fall back on your training.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
    Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of steve495
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Warhorse:
    No, and I know I really should. At almost 64 years old, and with a few physical limitations such as no kneeling, or going prone, I would be basically limited to drawing, walk and shooting.

Don't be discouraged about opportunities. There are training groups - yes, OpSpec Training is one and I'm employed by them - who focus on other important stuff. Our shtick is primarily focused on trigger control and getting quality hits on target faster.

Of course we do offer stuff like Advanced Tactical Pistol, but our flagship program (Practical Fundamentals) is really where it's at.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I'm Fine
    Picture of SBrooks
    posted Hide Post
    Most valuable thing was probably the shoot-house. Showed me that in dark conditions with distractions and lights flashing and such - I'm not nearly as good a shot as I am when standing on the firing line taking my time to aim at a piece of paper...

Now, if only I had ready access to a shoot-house or force on force training several times a month....

------------------
    SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of fpuhan
    posted Hide Post
    Not only have I taken several firearms training courses, I have also taken CCW, Dynamics of Violence, and Active Shooter training.

My opinion: A firearm is a tool. Without proper training, you can hurt yourself and/or others.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Living my life my way
    Picture of molachi
    posted Hide Post
    Other than what I had in the AF back in '67 I have not. That training qualified me for my CWP here in Fl. I have been thing about taking a course but haven't yet. But do plan to.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
    quote:
    No, and I know I really should. At almost 64 years old, and with a few physical limitations such as no kneeling, or going prone, I would be basically limited to drawing, walk and shooting.
    There are classes available for seasoned citizens.
    Are you aware of any training that is reasonably accessible from the Orlando FL area, for mobility-limited seniors?

Florida's demographics are skewed by the older population -- retirees, etc. This sounds like a possible money-making opportunity for somebody who could offer a defensive pistol course for this audience.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    OpSpec Training Mike Seeklander Shooting Performance, and a couple of others at local clubs
    And always find out I am not as good as I thought I was, you fail to the level of training and trigger control.
    "Front sight make it a shooting not a gun fight" JJ

"the soul of a dog is pure"

Posts: 265 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
    Picture of 9mmepiphany
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SBrooks:
    Most valuable thing was probably the shoot-house. Showed me that in dark conditions with distractions and lights flashing and such - I'm not nearly as good a shot as I am when standing on the firing line taking my time to aim at a piece of paper...

Now, if only I had ready access to a shoot-house or force on force training several times a month....

You don't even need a full shoothouse.

We've built covered structures (all sides with maybe a doorway at the end) for IDPA matches that give you a pretty faithful experience to being in a full on shoothouse.

Another very similar experience is going through a paintball/airsoft/laser tag shoothouse

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    I have not, and probably should, but traveling more than ~100 miles and/or more than a weekend is pretty much out of the question. My local indoor range does offer some training, but for reasons outside this topic, I am a little skeptical of some of their teachings. The cost shouldn't be a problem, when put in perspective with the cost of that shiny new gun.

In an ideal world I'd like to take a class from Massad Ayoob. He has stated that if you get in a shooting, followed his procedure and did what he taught you, and still get jacked up legally, he will represent you without fee (but with expenses) as an expert witness or adviser.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    quote:
    Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
    quote:
    There are classes available for seasoned citizens.
    Are you aware of any training that is reasonably accessible from the Orlando FL area, for mobility-limited seniors?

Florida's demographics are skewed by the older population -- retirees, etc. This sounds like a possible money-making opportunity for somebody who could offer a defensive pistol course for this audience.

Sorry, just saw this. I'm on the other coast so I'm not familiar with the trainers in Florida.

In most of the classes I've taken, and all the classes I teach, students are always given options to not do some of the movements/techniques based on any preferences or limitations a person may have.

Most schools require students to start at a basic level (unless they've taken comparable training before). The basics are sight alignment - sight picture, trigger press/control/reset, recoil management, and follow through. Reloads & stoppage clearing, and maybe presentation from the holster .

I'd ask around for recommendations for trainers in your area or maybe call a few to discuss the kind of training you're looking for.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post