SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever taken a firearms training course?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever taken a firearms training course? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I'm curious to know how many people here have taken a paid firearms training course? And if you have, what was the most valuable thing you learned?

Question:
Not including military or LE training, have you ever taken a firearms training course?

Choices:
Yes
No

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Several, including my favorite instructor, Ernest Langdon

I learned I always have more to learn

I will try to type more when my thumb stops bleeding

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I'm curious to know how many people here have taken a paid firearms training course? And if you have, what was the most valuable thing you learned?

Most valuable thing I learned? I'm not as good as I think I am. Frown

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
What did I learn..?

There is no substitute for practice - it can (if done correctly) make you better AND will identify things that sound good in your head but don't translate in reality.

It will also open your eye to other ways of doing things, techniques, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone should take as much training as possible from reputable instructors.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good (proper, efficient) gun handling skills and trigger control. Good habits to be programmed over and replace the budding bad habits.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Yes I have taken several.
One of the most important things I learned is if you happen to have the misfortune to be in a gunfight you do not stop until the threat is completely eliminated regardless of any injury you might have incurred.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have never paid for training.
I am blessed with several friends who are top competition shooters with who I train and (try to) compete with at local matches. Thanks to their generosity I have come a long way in my shooting.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Many and want to take many more!

Most valuable thing I have learned is to be open minded as there are many ways you will be taught how to properly shoot a firearm.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
A practical pistol course, including clearing a house (to show why we shouldn’t), and night firing. Thoroughly enjoyable, way back when I was a young man.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Among others, the best were:

NRA precision rifle
Tiger Valley Level 2 precision Rifle
Greenside Trainings Precision Rifle
NRA patrol rifle
Ron Avery's pistol instructor fundementals
Ben Stoegers USPSA course

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Ken Hackathorn advanced pistol, Larry Vickers advanced pistol, and others.
Learn, practice, and refine fundamentals.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I learned the instructor was very pro-ccw.

It was a required course to get the California CHL.

We had to list two guns on the permit. Crazy rule.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've taken a few, most of them several years ago. One of the most important things I learned was that processing information and making the correct hits under stress (well, instructor-induced stress) is do-able.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Required for CPL here, but no other courses.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I voted NO, because the courses required here for a CCW/LTC are more about the legal issues than about effective gun handling.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I try to get out to a new class every year. As far as the big name traveling road shows, Ernest Langdon and Craig Douglas are well worth the investment in time and money. John McPhee as well.

I'm hoping to take Mas Ayoob's class this October if work schedule allows.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Yep, a bunch from multiple instructors. By far the most from Jones with OpSpec. I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to attend classes with some great instructors

Mostly I learned the path is a journey that never ends.

My biggest regret is not taking a shotgun class with Louis Awerbuck. I had a chance to take a class held locally and blew it off at the last second thinking I would catch him the next year. Of course, next year never came.

I was fortunate enough to take one class with Pat Rogers. First night class. I was the only student who was not a LEO. He picked and picked and picked at me until he finally got under my skin and I started to puff up. He looked up at me, smiled, and asked if I was having fun yet. I told him yes and from then on it was like we'd been friends for years.

We traded emails over the course of a few years and I called him once for some advice. He recognized my voice and we had a great talk. I couldn't believe he knew who I was by my voice.

Made a ton of friends. I'm lucky...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have taken about 6 from OpSpec Training, plus one from Hackathorn. Trigger control is what most of the OPSpec courses have been about. With proper trigger control, everything else becomes much easier.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the fundamental level:
- Coaching to a baseline standard
- Instruction on technique
- Developing and expanding on techniques
- Developing positive muscle memory

Beyond that
- Scenario shooting: running, moving vehicle, elevated and concealed position.
- The ability to shoot in environments that you normally wouldn't be able to find. Obstacles, night shoots, simultaneous shooting
- Understanding the importance of correct and quality equipment (holsters, lights, slings, magazines, pouches, etc..) while possibly seeing the deficiencies of sub-optimal gear.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post