SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever taken a firearms training course?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever taken a firearms training course? Login/Join 
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Yes. Training is the best gun money I ever spent. I'd encourage anyone that hasn't taken training to skip the next gun purchase and hone their skills instead. It's very enlightening how much you don't know.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
No, and I know I really should. At almost 64 years old, and with a few physical limitations such as no kneeling, or going prone, I would be basically limited to drawing, walk and shooting.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I took the 8 hour course required for the ccw.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
I took the 8 hour course required for the ccw.

So have I but I didn't consider that as a training course on firearms as it's more towards concealed carry and the law. I received zero training on shooting after demonstrating I knew what I was doing.
I think I received more firearms instruction as a kid at a camp my folks dropped me off at than I did in my CPL class.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Many.

But one videotaped lecture by the late Looey Awerbuck changed how I view and practice defensive shooting. Massively paraphrased it was "No matter the angle, shoot to hit the spine."

I realized the truth of this, for if you hit the human spine with a bullet, it takes the fight out of anyone.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
No, and I know I really should. At almost 64 years old, and with a few physical limitations such as no kneeling, or going prone, I would be basically limited to drawing, walk and shooting.

There are classes available for seasoned citizens.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes. Training is the best gun money I ever spent. I'd encourage anyone that hasn't taken training to skip the next gun purchase and hone their skills instead. It's very enlightening how much you don't know.

This. I have taken a number of courses from Bruce Gray and Jerry Jones. Very enjoyable, very educational. I not only improved my shooting skills but also my comfort with dealing with firearms safely. And made lifelong friends, I might add.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've taken quite a few classes! I try to take at least 2 classes a year. I'm also an NRA instructor and Nevada CCW instructor so I get to teach them too...

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sadly no, we both really want to but the $$$ is the concern. Wedding, kitchen remodel, job changes, pretty much life takes the drivers seat. At least we do USPSA and steel challenge, plus periodic range trips. We fire many, many rounds per year. It means we are at least very comfortable with drawing our weapon, getting as good as sight picture is needed for given distance and getting off shots quickly and moving on to the next target.

I know it ain't training, but at least we are practicing. Likely reinforcing some bad habits, but it's the best we can afford to do now.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

DO NOT let your physical limitations keep you from firearms training. Steve Fisher and MDFI are outstanding instructor that teach in various locations in MI. They will be perfectly happy to work with your limitations.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
First class I did was OpSpec Practical Fundamentals with both Bruce and Jerry in MA several years ago.

Then, up to Sig Academy for two more one-day classes.

Last summer, I did a two-day Advanced Pistol class with Mike Pannone. (He came to a private range at which I’m a member in CT)

Next week, Mike Pannone is coming back to my range to do a two-day Advanced Carbine class - I’m psyched for that one.

I’ve learned from everyone, which leads to my advice - if you are paying for training, make sure you are getting your money’s worth. My perspective is that if the folks running the class are named Bruce Gray, Jerry Jones, or Mike Pannone - I’m in.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
I was taught

Pull your gun out cowboy, you have the rest of your life to hit the target.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Sadly no, we both really want to but the $$$ is the concern. Wedding, kitchen remodel, job changes, pretty much life takes the drivers seat. At least we do USPSA and steel challenge, plus periodic range trips. We fire many, many rounds per year. It means we are at least very comfortable with drawing our weapon, getting as good as sight picture is needed for given distance and getting off shots quickly and moving on to the next target.

I know it ain't training, but at least we are practicing. Likely reinforcing some bad habits, but it's the best we can afford to do now.

Do yourself a favor and go see John Murphy as soon as you can. He primarily teaches defensive training for armed citizens down in Culpeper. I just attended one of his classes here in TX, and think his coursework is one of the most valuable in the industry.

I'm not affiliated with this instructor.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Never have.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Never have.

You’re missing out, sir. All kinds of good training in the Lone Star State.

posted Hide Post
Taken so far:
(All handgun)
Chris Costa
Hackathorn
Vickers 1911 class
Gunsite 250
While all have little nuances the fundamentals are pretty much the same. Almost all top level instructors at one time or another we’re affiliated with gunsite. I took all the above except gunsite due to availability within a reasonable driving distance when I lived in the north east.
A couple years back I moved a short drive from gunsite so it will likely be my default for the future. It is the grand daddy of them all, but is expensive. The people and facilities are top notch.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've have taken a bunch, and they are worth every penny when you do your research.

Big thing- Have a goal. Not to make this about us, but we ask students on the first day of every class, from PF to MOAC, what are your goals. Most people want to be faster or more accurate. And they look at me like I am crazy when I ask for a metric of what is "faster or more accurate to you"?

Saying I want to be "faster" is on the same level as "I want to go to Texas". Ok, do you want to drive, fly, take a bus, take a boat, etc. So, pick a metric that you can see, and put into quantifiable terms. I want to draw 10 times, and each time hit the 8 inch circle. Or I want to get my draw time from concealment down to 2 seconds.

Once you get the goal, do your research and find the instructor that fits your needs the best. Funny story, back in 2001 I was running around with our state police's SWAT team guys. They liked to shoot. I liked to shoot. They had free ammo. It was a match made in heaven. One day, they were shooting their qual course, which wasn't easy. I shot it with them and scored like a 91 percent on the course. Being an arrogant little shit at the time, when the SGT scoring the test walked by, I tapped my target and said something to the effect of "Check that shit out". He looked at my target, sized the shot placement up and down, and said words that ring to me to this day. "There's 100 points on that test for a fucking reason". Then he nonchalantly walked off. It crushed my soul as I was God's gift to the Smith and Wesson 1076. Worse than that, it crushed my ego. That next spring, I paid Ernie Langdon a visit. He is the guy that I attribute screwing my head on straight, and can't thank him enough for everything he has done for me. And I've trained with a lot of the other greats too.

The lesson I have learned over the years, and 13 years in commercial training is that trigger control is king. I can teach SWAT stuff, Sniper stuff, carbine stuff, but teaching high speed marksmanship with a pistol is where its at for me. Technical marksmanship is what wins fights and trophies.

Do your research and find someone reputable to train with. You won't be disappointed with some formal training.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my thing. I have a couple hundred hours of formal training.

At $500-600 for a weekend (including ammo), it is a big investment. But good firearms training is worth every penny. “Gun School” is not like high school, and it’s not that boring, pointless state mandates CHL class. You will learn, you will enjoy yourself, you will improve, and you will learn how to progress further.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I guess the most important thing I've learned, beyond improving my shooting, is that you don't know your gear until you've used it hard.

I was always very worried about being able to draw from concealment. So much so that I bought a bluegun and practiced all the time. When I went to my first class and drew from concealment my draw was fast and flawless. I was very proud of myself. However the very first time I tried to reload my pistol I pulled a spare magazine and tried to insert it into my gun only to find the magazine carrier still firmly covering the mag. I had not secured it to my belt and pulled the damn thing off. I still use the same carriers but I now know how to secure them properly. Also I realized that the holsters I had at the time were not ideal and have since bought a whole different type.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Yeah, I've have taken a bunch, and they are worth every penny when you do your research.

Big thing- Have a goal. Not to make this about us, but we ask students on the first day of every class, from PF to MOAC, what are your goals. Most people want to be faster or more accurate. And they look at me like I am crazy when I ask for a metric of what is "faster or more accurate to you"?

Saying I want to be "faster" is on the same level as "I want to go to Texas". Ok, do you want to drive, fly, take a bus, take a boat, etc. So, pick a metric that you can see, and put into quantifiable terms. I want to draw 10 times, and each time hit the 8 inch circle. Or I want to get my draw time from concealment down to 2 seconds.

Once you get the goal, do your research and find the instructor that fits your needs the best. Funny story, back in 2001 I was running around with our state police's SWAT team guys. They liked to shoot. I liked to shoot. They had free ammo. It was a match made in heaven. One day, they were shooting their qual course, which wasn't easy. I shot it with them and scored like a 91 percent on the course. Being an arrogant little shit at the time, when the SGT scoring the test walked by, I tapped my target and said something to the effect of "Check that shit out". He looked at my target, sized the shot placement up and down, and said words that ring to me to this day. "There's 100 points on that test for a fucking reason". Then he nonchalantly walked off. It crushed my soul as I was God's gift to the Smith and Wesson 1076. Worse than that, it crushed my ego. That next spring, I paid Ernie Langdon a visit. He is the guy that I attribute screwing my head on straight, and can't thank him enough for everything he has done for me. And I've trained with a lot of the other greats too.

The lesson I have learned over the years, and 13 years in commercial training is that trigger control is king. I can teach SWAT stuff, Sniper stuff, carbine stuff, but teaching high speed marksmanship with a pistol is where its at for me. Technical marksmanship is what wins fights and trophies.

Do your research and find someone reputable to train with. You won't be disappointed with some formal training.

Excellent advice!

Like guns, Love Sigs