SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I was road raged today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was road raged today Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
I do my level best not to drive during the ironically termed 'rush hour'. Sometimes I can't avoid it. Today was one of those days.

Rush hour means everyone is hurriedly creeping along in congested traffic. Along I15 in SLC, Southbound traffic stop and go runs the length of Salt Lake County and into Utah County even if there are no accidents nor hazards. Pretty much the only way to stay sane is to abandon any urgency or anticipation of ETAs. Just roll on home and get there when you get there. There really is no strategy to expedite the commute.

That being said, I have come to believe that one can drive home efficiently and still be polite. I don't leave 86 car lengths between me and the next car nor do I fidget with my devices or drive distracted. But if another vehicle needs to merge into my lane, what harm is there in letting the other drive in? How much time is lost really? When I see a blinker indicating an intention, I make room to accommodate.

Well a driver behind me took offense that I let someone merge. This was only one car. Not two. Not several. One. Anyway the driver on my six came unglued and laid on his horn while nearly rear ending me. I looked in the mirror and saw what I expected; two middle fingers flailing spasmodically. Dude was actually yelling.....with his windows closed.

My reflex was to retaliate. I mean I was doing the right thing. I was driving with patience and selflessly. Suddenly this scatacephalic is in a hurry? We're rolling at 35 mph! There are thousands of cars ahead of us. Where does he think he's going? YOU FLACCID PRIMARY MALE SEXUAL CHARACTERISTIC!!!!!!!

Contrary to my impulse I decided to shrug my shoulders and ignore him. He tried to provoke me with the usual acrobatics, but I refused to be aggravated. He followed me for a while and then pulled into the next lane and pulled to my side. This time his window was down as he shouted obscenities and insults. Seriously, a man that miserable is his own punishment.

Just wanted to vent.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yup, the best way is to ignore these road raging tools.

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Some people are so pathetically unhappy that they let minuscule stuff like this ruffle their feathers.

All you can do is get a little laugh out of it and try to articulate how shitty their life must be.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what the primal urge is to get one or two car lengths ahead of the next guy, but there are a lot of angry people driving around these days.

There have been a lot of driving fatalities along the Wasatch front the past few weeks.

I15 in particular is now busy at all hours in both directions, not just at rush hour.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Yup, He's probably residing in his own self imposed Hell, no need to join him there.

You did well.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It depends on other things whether I'll let another car get in front of me.

But if I was behind you, I wouldn't hold it against you unless you are keeping a car length's space ahead of you. I would be frustrated if you keep letting people in. But I wouldn't be flipping you off. I never flip anyone off. Most i would do is knock the side of my head with my knuckles.

In slow and go, I would rather drive off the freeway and even add 30 more minutes to my commute than be stuck in slow and go traffic.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19649 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

He followed me for a while and then pulled into the next lane and pulled to my side. This time his window was down as he shouted obscenities and insults. Seriously, a man that miserable is his own punishment.

My windows are tinted, in this situation I tend to roll my window down, blow a kiss while sending a flirtatious wave (channeling my inner Milo), before rolling my window back up slowly. In the privacy of my own car I am then able to laugh as their anger turns to confusion and disgust without further triggering them.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about that tool trying to harsh your mellow, Mr. DF. Glad that you are okay and it didn't escalate.

Some so called adults really need a time out.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridja75:

My windows are tinted, in this situation I tend to roll my window down, blow a kiss while sending a flirtatious wave (channeling my inner Milo), before rolling my window back up slowly. In the privacy of my own car I am then able to laugh as their anger turns to confusion and disgust without further triggering them.

Beautiful

I sometimes just wave and smile real big like I'm from the country and lost...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^ This. My dad taught me this 40 years ago.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12769 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Good job. I do the same thing. Totally ignore them or smile and wave.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridja75:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

He followed me for a while and then pulled into the next lane and pulled to my side. This time his window was down as he shouted obscenities and insults. Seriously, a man that miserable is his own punishment.

I usually either point and laugh or do the "neener-neener" face at them.

If you flip them off they get some satisfaction that they made you mad too, but if you laugh at them it sends them into a rage spiral. It's fun to watch.

Posts: 6346 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Contrary to my impulse I decided to shrug my shoulders and ignore him.

I do the same except I lay my HK 45c in my lap just to be sure. Smile

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, when you yell and flip people off, they learn valuable lessons and won't ever drive badly again, especially if you swerve and drive really crazy around the person that "wronged" you.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3527 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Absolutely true, but do not forget the chance that such idiots just might decide to do some shooting, or even crash your car!

I see this kind of crap a lot, and try to ignore it, but keep a real lookout to make sure the asshole does not go over the edge into total insanity.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
good job there OP;

last week I was driving N on I-5 out of Eugene in moderately heavy flow. Had managed to escape the peloton and was making good headway in middle lane at just over the 65mph limit.....coming up considerably faster behind was a largish RV, maybe around 30'. Lanes clear on both sides. This was just after a long 55 zone.

This dupe lunged around at close range from behind, passed and swerved back in front with barely a couple of feet to spare without making serious contact.

This fool had miles of open lanes and plenty of opportunity to safely pass. I don't know what his issue was.

Hadn't realized how widely spread his clan was, but you obviously found a member: 'YOU FLACCID PRIMARY MALE SEXUAL CHARACTERISTIC'

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Don't engage at all. Ignore them completely. Don't give them what they want - a reaction. No smile, no wave, nothing. They'll usually get frustrated then just give up when they learn they can't get to you. Plus, it keeps you calm and thinking clearly in the unlikely event you are forced into a situation where you must defend yourself. You have no way of knowing what you are dealing with, how stable or unstable that individual is, so don't deliberately put yourself or those with you in potential danger.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Don't engage at all. Ignore them completely. Don't give them what they want - a reaction. No smile, no wave, nothing. They'll usually get frustrated then just give up when they learn they can't get to you. Plus, it keeps you calm and thinking clearly in the unlikely event you are forced into a situation where you must defend yourself. You have no way of knowing what you are dealing with, how stable or unstable that individual is, so don't deliberately put yourself or those with you in potential danger.

This is an important point. I think most people are rational, but there is an increasing subset that is teetering and with the right pressure will do anything. I'd hate to have to ventilate one of them right there on the highway.

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
Sorry to hear about that tool trying to harsh your mellow, Mr. DF. Glad that you are okay and it didn't escalate.

Some so called adults really need a time out.

Lol. Yes we must keep up the mellow. Big Grin

Thanks Frank. Hope you, your better half and the pups are well, brother.

Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seriously, a man that miserable is his own punishment.

Bingo

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post