SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Most fun gun to shoot
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most fun gun to shoot Login/Join 
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
To this day, the most fun was shooting the M16A1 in basic training. Prior to that I had only shot BB guns, a shot or two from a 20 gauge shotgun and then a Colt Huntsman .22 as a young man.

From those to a full auto, shooting bullseye and then pop up targets and walking a lane firing full auto is something I'll never forget, along with watching a LAW get fired, the "gas chamber" experience and the grenade throw. But I digress... Smile

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldMick:
To this day, the most fun was shooting the M16A1 in basic training.

I think I'd have to agree. Man, I loved that rifle.

Bastiges wouldn't let me keep it, either

Big Grin

After that: I never had more fun with a gun than I did my good ol' Ruger Single Six Convertible. Third on the list is probably my S&W M&P 15-22, which is just a hoot-and-a-half.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lever action .357
until
I shot a garand,

then I shot a 1911 professional,

but my GP 100 is real close,

I could see where an a.r. would be great fun , but I only have 5 rounds through one.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M40 106mm recoiled rifle. It had a .50 cal spotting rifle that matched the 106’s trajectory. The drill was “Fire the fifty. Fire the 50. Fire the 106”! Whatever the spotting round hit disappeared.

And if that wasn’t enough, the Marines had the Ontos. A tracked vehicle with 6 106’s that could be fired singly or all at once.

Only got to fire one once.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I worked for a friend who is a class III dealer a few years ago.
We used to do a machine gun shoot for one of our customers and would bring out all kinds of full auto guns.
There are to many to list but we always had a good time.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Many moons ago I drew the short straw and got to shoot an early self-loading pistol called the 'Gabbet-Fairfax Mars'.

It was a long recoil handgun of astonishing power for the day - around 1900 or so, and looked, if you squinted hard, something like a Desert Eagle made by Stevie Wonder. It was also as ergonomic as a picking up a refrigerator by using a plane handle welded onto one corner - in short, a nightmare.

With it's long-recoil delayed action system, and about thirty moving parts in operation, shooting it was like holding an old-fashioned manual typewriter whilst the two-pound carriage shuttled back and forth at near light-speed, and with the grip pointing in the wrong direction, it was never going to be pleasant to shoot one, let alone twice - MY penance for the day.

Gentlemen, it was just THE most awful thing I have ever shot in my entire life - it made the pistol I had just shot before it, the Liberator .45ACP pistol, feel like shooting a .22 target pistol, and I'm not kidding.

I took some comfort in knowing that at around $80 per shot, I had reduced the available ammunition stock by a measurable margin. Hopefully, by now, there is none left.

I can only hope so.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I am rarely stumped when it comes to guns, but Tac had me Googling and watching videos on that one!

For me it's the M-14 and any full sized 357 wheel gun.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aguilar64
posted Hide Post
M60 and M2, US Army

“When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2209 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I shot our SWAT team’s suppressed MP5 once and it was a blast. But the most fun fun I ever shot was an old Thompson TommyGun that someone turned in to the Sheriff’s office many years ago. I felt like a gangster from the 20’s Big Grin

Out of my personal collection, it’s hard to beat a 10/22 just to get out and plink with.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure of the make or model but it would have to be the single shot, bolt action .22 guns at my Scout camp when I was a kid. First gun I ever shot and I still remember it today

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Most fun I had was with an M14 while in Army basic training (before I took my Naval commission). Managed a "ballantine" (3 shot group with the holes overlapping) while zeroing the sights before shooting for qualification. Very proud day indeed. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Many moons ago I drew the short straw and got to shoot an early self-loading pistol called the 'Gabbet-Fairfax Mars'.

I just had to look this thing up after reading your post. Yikes!
https://www.forgottenweapons.c...abbett-fairfax-mars/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBKqvLpxpU4

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Pistol: S&W 629 4" with mid-level loads.

Rifle: 9mm AR with 32 round sticks.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Some extended acquaintances have numerous class III weapons. I was in attendance at one of their private "machine gun shoots" and was offered the chance to fire a German MG42. I only got to fire a couple of short bursts, but that thing was the tits.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
Not sure of the make or model but it would have to be the single shot, bolt action .22 guns at my Scout camp when I was a kid. First gun I ever shot and I still remember it today

Same for me as well. Bolt action single shot in 1954 shooting at cans at, I'd guess around 15 yards. That was the most fun thing I ever did at the young age of 7.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
The work gun of a friend of mine who leads one of the Border Patrol's BORTAC units.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another vote for the M60 MG

you just know you are putting some hurt downrange

IMO it has the ideal rate of fire for a MG - not too fast to burn ammo - slow enough to maintain decent control / accuracy

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
Right now I'd say my Beretta 92 Centurion.

When I was a young boy my dad bought me a Daisy BB gun modeled after the Winchester 1894 lever gun. I had a blast shooting that gun. I still have it 50 years later.
About fifteen or so years ago I took it out to shoot just to see what would happen. I pulled the trigger and a BB came out the barrel. It only traveled about six feet then fell to the ground. Talk about your supersonic muzzle velocities!

I'd like to get a lever carbine in .357 magnum. I think that would be a fun gun to shoot.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 621 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Nighthawk T3 Comp; love that gun.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Daisy Red Ryder. It was my first gun that actually had ammo. I know I put at least 50,000 round's down range.

All of the guns listed above sound amazing but when I unwrapped the paper on that Red Ryder, I cried tears of joy. Didn't do that for any other gun I have bought.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
I was able to shoot several hundred rounds through a UMP 45 on full auto recently. That was a hoot.

Posts: 5198 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post