SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tax question for people that use their personal vehicle for work >>>>>>>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tax question for people that use their personal vehicle for work >>>>>>> Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yes she works for an employer but does not get reimbursed for any mileage that she drives. She is a mental health counselor, so she has to drive to her client's home, pick them up, drive them to some appointments, etc. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
All assuming your itemized deductions beat the $24k standard deduction for married or $12k for individuals.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes she works for an employer but does not get reimbursed for any mileage that she drives. She is a mental health counselor, so she has to drive to her client's home, pick them up, drive them to some appointments, etc. God Bless

As noted earlier keep careful records. The mileage to and from work is NOT deductible. Keep track of Odometer readings as well. It is an audit flag but I would not be concerned if you are honest and keep proper documentation.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
Hello everyone and thank you for your answers and information. It helps a lot. So for people that are in the same situation as her, what do you all use to record or show the IRS the mileage you have accumulated and used for work versus personal mileage ? Thanks again for any info. God Bless Smile

I use a personal vehicle for my job, and also do side driving for Uber and Lyft. I use an app on my phone called SherpaShare, although there are several apps like it.

Every 'ride' I perform is tracked and can later be categorized, either 'personal,' or 'work." SherpaShare also allows further levels of categorization, if you need it.

I use their records for my taxes, and have had good success.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2834 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's a fool for not recording and claiming milage for work usage. Doesn't matter how small or miniscule. 12k miles...that's a nice deduction.

Not only is record keeping important to show due diligence, if she tries to make any claim on fuel purchase, replacement tires/brakes/fluid and parts, will be viewed with suspicion without any claimed milage. If she gets into an accident or, somebody damages her vehicle in the course of work, she can claim the repairs. If an accident is bad enough and her employer becomes liable or, there's litigation between the two, those records can be important to the proceedings.

Hopefully, whatever expenses she's claiming is on a separate credit card. While not essential, it makes for clean book keeping. Personal expenses with business on the same account, is frowned upon by auditors and tax preparers.

For record keeping, I prefer the manual method with a small written log. Get'em at any Office Supply-type store.

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post