SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tax question for people that use their personal vehicle for work >>>>>>>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tax question for people that use their personal vehicle for work >>>>>>> Login/Join 
posted
I have a friend that uses her vehicle for work. Last year she put in approx. 12K miles on her vehicle just driving clients. She did not claim this on taxes. I told her that she could have claimed that on taxes and could have received back $$$$. I believe that the government pays 54 cents per a mile, in theory could she have received 12K x .54 = $6480 in addition to her regular return ??? Thank you for any info and help. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think the government "pays" you 54 cents. You can deduct that amount from your income (if not reimbursed by an employer) and not pay tax on it.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yeah the government definitely doesn't pay you 54 cents a mile.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I am reading unless I am wrong, it says 54 cents a mile here. Please correct me if I am wrong. God Bless Smile

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2...and-moving-announced

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
From the link:

quote:
The Internal Revenue Service today issued the 2016 optional standard mileage rates used to calculate the deductible costs of operating an automobile for business, charitable, medical or moving purposes.

A deductible isn't a reimbursement. I don't get my entire property tax reimbursed from the government. I just don't have to pay income taxes on that money.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Internal Revenue Service today issued the 2016 optional standard mileage rates used to calculate the deductible costs of operating an automobile for business, charitable, medical or moving purposes.

She can deduct her mileage on her income. She will not get that money from the government. She certainly should be deducting her milage though.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
You can keep track of actual expenses or claim the allowed rate, but you had better have detailed records of rates, mileage and business purpose, because that is an “audit me” favorite.

I had a partner go through an audit several decsdes ago trying to show his business miles. I haven’t claimed a cent of business use since.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
You can keep track of actual expenses or claim the allowed rate, but you had better have detailed records of rates, mileage and business purpose, because that is an “audit me” favorite.

I had a partner go through an audit several decsdes ago trying to show his business miles. I haven’t claimed a cent of business use since.

this

she would need to keep a daily log detailing precise miles for business and personal

it's tedious but worth it if you drive a personal vehicle un-reimbursed by your employer.

as others have stated - its a deduction - not a payment / credit

----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the bigger issue is why her employer is not reimbursing her already. That's a heck of a lot more than an incidental run to pick up donuts once a month.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
An employees use of their personal vehicle for business purposes is an employee business expense reported on form 2106 which then flows to Schedule A as a miscellaneous itemized deduction. Those miscellaneous ITM deducts are subject to a 2 percent of AGI haircut - IOW the first 2 percent of AGI for those items you eat. So, potentially there is a deduction available and this presumes that the person can itemize. As others have stated it is a deduction not a credit so the value in tax saving would equal the amount deductible times the persons marginal tax rate. And, for 2018, with the new tax law, these deductions have been eliminated completely.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I told her that she could have claimed that on taxes and could have received back $$$$. I believe that the government pays 54 cents per a mile, in theory could she have received 12K x .54 = $6480 in addition to her regular return

Pale Horse explained what most people don't understand about taxes. When you "write off" an expense you're simply not paying your ordinary tax rate on that expense.

So in your example, let's say she was in a 15% tax bracket. That deduction would have eliminated $972 in liability to the government.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Or to explain in numbers...

Without claiming the mileage, I have $50,000 taxable income.

I did 10,000 miles at .54/mi = $5,400 as an additional allowable deduction

A deduction reduces your taxable income, a tax credit is reduction of taxes owed. Two very different things.

$50K taxable at 25% is $12,500 tax bill

$50K taxable minus a $5,400 deduction is $44,600 taxable. At same 25% rate, it would be an $11,150 tax bill making the deduction “worth” $1,340

Of course this only works if there are enough total deductions that they can itemize to overcome the “standard” deduction.

If you had a $5,400 tax credit it would reduce that $12,500 tax bill to a $7,100 tax bill

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
An employees use of their personal vehicle for business purposes is an employee business expense reported on form 2106 which then flows to Schedule A as a miscellaneous itemized deduction. Those miscellaneous ITM deducts are subject to a 2 percent of AGI haircut - IOW the first 2 percent of AGI for those items you eat. So, potentially there is a deduction available and <b>this presumes that the person can itemize</b>. As others have stated it is a deduction not a credit so the value in tax saving would equal the amount deductible times the persons marginal tax rate. And, for 2018, with the new tax law, these deductions have been eliminated completely.

^^^ All accurate

First question is, "Is VBVAGUY's friend self-employed?"
If so, then she has the option to deduct her mileage as an operating expense on Schedule C 'Profit or Loss from Business'. If she's someone's employee, then she has the option to deduct mileage as Sailor1911 explained above.

If she chooses to use her Standard Deduction rather than itemizing deductions on Schedule A, then the mileage deduction is moot. There are a lot of misconceptions regarding deductions. For instance, charities often advertise that donations to them can be deducted from income taxes. This only works if you use Schedule A, and if you do, it is not a dollar-for-dollar reduction of taxes owed.

If she chooses one of the methods above to claim mileage deduction, as JALLEN posted, she better be prepared to document 12K miles worth.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Before this gets too far, at this time, the rate 2018 is 54.5 cents/mile. Don't miss out on the $60.00 DEDUCTION by using the wrong rate...

The 2017 rate was 53.5 cents/mile. Don't use the wrong rate.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone and thank you for your answers and information. It helps a lot. So for people that are in the same situation as her, what do you all use to record or show the IRS the mileage you have accumulated and used for work versus personal mileage ? Thanks again for any info. God Bless Smile

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
So for people that are in the same situation as her, what do you all use to record or show the IRS the mileage you have accumulated and used for work versus personal mileage ? Thanks again for any info.

There's a variety of spiffy little books widely available that are easily used to keep daily entries of such expense. Stationary stores have usually a 1/2 dozen styles on hand. Staples etc have them from about $2 on up to $45 last time I was looking.

IF the employer gives any kind of transport $$ towards that expense, that too has to be accounted for, so that the "$20" he might put in towards a tank of gas, has to be logged as "income" rather than "expense".....

Sounds like a bigger deal than it really is, if one is used to accounting for such items as related to business.

I began using a large enough log I could enter names/places on a daily business along with miles that day and auto costs as well. At that time my personal car was used about 75% in business.

Years later with smaller business use, where maybe 15% was business vs 85% personal, far easier as I could log just those days/trips/expenses I was claiming rather than virtually all of the mileage.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:Years later with smaller business use, where maybe 15% was business vs 85% personal, far easier as I could log just those days/trips/expenses I was claiming rather than virtually all of the mileage.

That's what I do. Log the business use. Beginning-ending miles. Add it up at the end of the year and subtract from the total vehicle miles during the same period.

posted Hide Post
Business mileage is a big discount she's missing.

There is an APP now for the phone that automatically tracks it for you and all you have to do is hit the APP on your phone for a small monthly fee. It's better to pay the fee in her situation and get the discount and the app records all of the specifics.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Or to explain in numbers...

Without claiming the mileage, I have $50,000 taxable income.

I did 10,000 miles at .54/mi = $5,400 as an additional allowable deduction

A deduction reduces your taxable income, a tax credit is reduction of taxes owed. Two very different things.

$50K taxable at 25% is $12,500 tax bill

$50K taxable minus a $5,400 deduction is $44,600 taxable. At same 25% rate, it would be an $11,150 tax bill making the deduction “worth” $1,340

Of course this only works if there are enough total deductions that they can itemize to overcome the “standard” deduction.

If you had a $5,400 tax credit it would reduce that $12,500 tax bill to a $7,100 tax bill

You skipped over the 2% of AGI reduction for misc. itemized deductions. Assuming she's doing this for employer as OP described, not part of her own business.

As others have mentioned, any reimbursement she's getting from employer is a further reduction.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Wife and I claimed business miles for a number of years when we owned our business. We also leased a vehicle but still needed to use our personal cars for some business.

We kept track of miles in that at the end of each day, we'd log where we went that day and how many miles it was. Not indisputable proof but in council with our CPA we considered it "reasonable" and if the IRS challenged it, worse case we'd need to take some miles off. Never challenged in 20 years in business.

Unless there is some reason to be overly concerned about an audit, take all of the deductions that are legally afforded to you. Mileage is certainly one.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post