SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Adhesive ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Adhesive ? Login/Join 
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted
I am looking to replace some old indoor/outdoor carpet on a treated wood platform, a pitcher's mound specifically. The material I have to replace it is an artificial turf with a rubberized backing. So what type of adhesive would be best to attach the rubberized backing to well reasoned treated plywood?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3M Super 77 has worked well for me with a variety of dissimilar materials.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I would strongly suggest an outdoor carpet adhesive that is recommended by the the carpet manufacturer. If you're *sure* it's "rubber" backed most any good Outdoor Carpet Adhesive will work. But if it could be some sort of vinyl or plastic backing the plasticizers will probably migrate to a regular outdoor adhesive and start dissolving it within a year or two.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I think contact cement would be a good product. Make sure the wood is thoroughly dry before applying.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
I think contact cement would be a good product. Make sure the wood is thoroughly dry before applying.

This is what I'd use.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Capitol® Grip Strip 3-1/5" x 75' Double Faced Adhesive Tape
Menards
I think this is what we used (indoors).It's an SOB to remove from particleboard

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
3M's spray adhesives are pretty much the gold standard in upholstery circles for sticking carpet and similar materials to door panels, headliners, trunks, speaker boxes, etc.

There are other methods, I'm sure, and this use case is a touch different from what I'm accustomed to, but I suspect it'll work just fine. I've seen it used in boats, with turf, too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
This mound will be outside in all kinds of weather which will be a major consideration.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Silicone is a good, all-weather-extreme adhesive
https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Cor...ativeASIN=B004VTGLXQ

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3m general adhesive works really well. We used it outdoors in wet locations on yachts and it works great

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
we used 3M 5200 adhesive in the service.

it's designed for wet environments and it works. Period

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weatherstripping adhesive is made for this. Scotchgrip 1300L or similar.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Barge is a contact cement widely used by saddle makers for the leather parts that need to be glued. It will stick just about anything, to just about anything, very permanently. I have used it for a variety of materiels, even on end grain wood. Two coats on the plywood, no matter what type of contact cement you use, because it is more absorbent. If the surface is large, cut the carpet piece oversize first and trim after you lay it down. This make for a much easier application where it is bonded immediately. Also, for larger areas, lay pieces of pvc pipe close together between the two surfaces when you lay the carpet down. This will keep them separated as you work your way down, and make it easier to line everything up. Stick one edge, pull out a piece of pipe, stick some more, and keep working that way until you have the whole thing down.

For Barge, get the yellow can, not the blue. The blue is the newer "safe" version (less fumes, also less holding power but still good).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
we used 3M 5200 adhesive in the service.

it's designed for wet environments and it works. Period

Another excellent choice. A bit harder to work with than spray, but HOLY CRAP! It is 100% waterproof and almost impossible to get off (even if you want to).

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post