SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American-made multitool
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American-made multitool Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I never thought I would need something like a Leatherman multitool, but, if things work out the way I hope, I may be exchanging my urban life for one a bit more rural. So, I started looking at multitools, and would like to get a nice one that's Made-in-America. In addition to Leatherman, what could you recommend?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang short list sadly. Bear & Son cutlery looks good and are made in Alabama I think. I have no experience with their quality. I'd stick with leatherman myself

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have two Leatherman multi-tools, one is the original supertool, the other is the wave. Now that I'm retired and live in the city, I never carry either anymore, but one or the other is always in the cars.

Leatherman tools are top quality IMHO.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Gerber multi-tools are at a minimum assembled in the U.S., but a number of their designs are considered made in the U.S. Though based on my past experiences owning and using some of their past multi-tools I wouldn't recommend them to anyone looking for a durable tool that won't break apart during use. That company will have to prove to me that their current designs are actually worthy of consideration.

Leatherman these days are kind of the same; mostly assembled here from parts sourced from all over. I've got a couple and I like how stout those designs actually are. A MUT is on my list as one tool that I think I 'must' have.

Bear & Son is actually US-made. Most of their multi-tools that I've actually held seem okay in build quality though I haven't put any to the test. Many of their designs don't utilize locking mechanisms with their individual fold-out tools, something I strongly prefer in any multi-tool and folder knife I own.

The SOG Powerlock series is assembled here, from parts and components made here and elsewhere. I have a couple of these and have been pleased with their toughness and durability, though if you go with the black oxide finish be prepared to be somewhat disappointed in their look. SOG is not shy about 'bumping' these around a bit prior to packaging and shipping, so scratches and scuffs are a common trait right out of the box. Carries a look that's less about 'distressed' and seems more akin to 'used', even though they're actually brand new.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Since I'm usually within arm's reach of multiple tool bags, my Schrade gets little use. The single most useful multi-tool I own is my Gerber Covert Folder, a knife.

While I do not use the multi-tool, it is cool, and I have remembered to bring it camping. I've got two identical copies, one nearly NIB with leather case, the other no case and half the metal file broken off. You're welcome to either, if they fit the bill. But not both. Wink The newer one with case is probably 20 years old. The other, 5-10 years older and a tad looser. Both were made in the USA.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ I own that Schrade ^^. Not long after my purchase they went out of business, were bought by a Chinese company and moved production to China.

I also have a Leatherman Charge TTI, both are excellent. However, I will note that the scissors on my Swiss Army knife are the ones I prefer, AND it, unlike those 2 multitools, has a corkscrew.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Leatherman Wave with the bit kit and extension.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
After about a year with the Leatherman Surge, multiple thumbs up for it's design and execution.

I uncovered an old Gerber model long forgotten, in my 'other stuff' secret location. It is from the early days of multi-tool design, and simply suffers from lack of locking mechanism and awkward handle design which is uncomfortable in use. I've consigned it to the accessory bin of the lawn tractor should it's limited features be needed about the estate.

Largish and bulky as well as nearly a solid pound, the Surge is pretty heavy to carry. US made, it fits well in my hand for any use so far. If I wanted actual daily belt-carry model, I'd pick one smaller. This one stays close at hand and serves well in numerous little chores. I've actually found it convenient to use several of the 'bit kit' tips as well.

I consider this 'a real tool' rather than a miniaturized collection of barely usable features:

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
After about a year with the Leatherman Surge, multiple thumbs up for it's design and execution.

I uncovered an old Gerber model long forgotten ... It is from the early days of multi-tool design, and simply suffers from lack of locking mechanism

Wow, the Surge is night and day from my ancient Schrade (no doubt a 1960s design which never changed). Can a tool be beautiful?

There is a reason my multi-tool never gets any use. Two reasons. No emergency yet, knock wood, and there is always something better at hand.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Leatherman Charge Tti and carry it every day at work. It is on the expensive side but as often as I use it it is worth it.

In your situation I too would go with the Wave and the bits.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Leatherman. One is about 15 years old, I can't remember the name, ran about $72 at the time and still is in great shape. It stays in my truck and comes in handy.
Leatherman 2, the Sidekick I just received after LL Bean sent me a rebate coupon. No where does it say where it is made, but there was a sticker on the nylon carry case saying maybe made in the U.S.A. or China. I suspect China as I had it out last night trying to find a country of origin anywhere on the tool but couldn't find one.
It Cost $49, and I would consider it a back up as it doesn't seem as robust as my original model. It is well made but just slightly too small.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post