SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Planning a Trip to Cancun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Planning a Trip to Cancun? Login/Join 
posted
or Playa del Carmen? What is interesting is that in Playa del Carman, there is Playacar, a very, very upscale, gated development. (BTW, if you do plan on traveling to Playa, there is a great Italian restaurant on the main road to Playacar)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...li=AA4ZnC&ocid=ientp

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
One of my most memorable vacations (back in the mid-90's) was to Cozumel with the woman who was to become my wife. We did take a day trip to Playa, but mostly to rent a car (a VW bug, of course) so as to drive down the coast to Tulum. I wasn't particularly impressed with PdelC, Cozumel felt like more fun, but we didn't really spend much time exploring the mainland.

Several years prior to the above trip, I spent a week in Cancun. Except for the diving (at Isla Mujeres), Cozumel was a much much better experience.

From my personal experience, I'd highly recommend Cozumel, figure Playa would be OK, and, unless you are inordinately fond of Eurotrash tourists, to stay away from Cancun.

Posts: 6443 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be so quick to head to Playa del Carmen, or the Yucatan in general.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...sort-town/406262002/

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Bad time to pick Playa del Carmen...there was just a travel advisory issued for the city.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ya, even I, a mexico vacation advocate, have been considering somewhere else. I went last year.

It used to be the federales could keep the cartel away from Cancun/Playa due to paying them. Now they are blowing up ferries in cozumel/playa. I'm not sure I will go this year.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u...nd-on-mexican-ferry/

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Ya, even I, a mexico vacation advocate, have been considering somewhere else. I went last year.

It used to be the federales could keep the cartel away from Cancun/Playa due to paying them. Now they are blowing up ferries in cozumel/playa. I'm not sure I will go this year.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u...nd-on-mexican-ferry/

The federales never paid the cartels to keep Cancun safe. The reason Cancun was safe, is it is a washing machine for all of the cartels to wash their money. All of the cartels have hotels, restaurants, bars etc. in Cancun to legitimize their money for funding operations.

That being said, I've been to Mexico many times and at this point would avoid it. Key west is just as nice, just as much fun, and safe.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I did a Caribbean cruise in 2009 that included a trip to the ruins at Tulum. We docked in Playa del Carmen to transfer to busses. I wouldn't consider doing that again now.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got back today actually.... Trip had been planned with a bunch of people for some time now. Actually stayed at the same resort where the American kids got alcohol poisoning or drugged. We drank our faces off for 7 days with no issue. Also took the ferry route to and from Cozumel because we spent a day diving there. No issues anywhere or even a hint of violence. The weather was perfect, the people were nice and the diving was incredible. No different than 2 years ago when we went. I think next time we'll fly straight to Cozumel and stay on the island because of the world class diving.

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
US State Dept Travel Advisory for Mexico

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention this. I was just wondering how many Americans and Canadians RV'ers are no longer going to Mexico, as compared to previous years.

I'm only a few years away from retirement and plan on doing a whole lot of RV travel. As much as I'd love to winter in Mexico I doubt I'll ever go.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have been to Cancun and it is nice, but I much prefer Cabo and Cozumel in Mexico.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Should be fine, keep your wits about you. Some crazy stuff goes on down there.

Posts: 6154 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've spent some time in that area of Mexico. Mostly Akumal and Tulum. A little in Playa, very little in Cancun. I like the more relaxed areas. Never stayed in a resort. Always a house on the beach or kinda bay area in Akumal. Driven around the area quite a bit. Been out in the "jungle" to go diving although always with a guide.

Just be smart about what you do and where you go. Most of the people I met down there were very friendly. The last time I was there the area had changed some but I don't think it any worse than any big city.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16387 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I'm a member of a RV forum. Many members have traveled to Mexico in there RV's for decades never having a problem. Most go through Baja and down to Puerto Vallarta and Puerto Penasco.
They come unglued when Mexico is discussed as a dangerous place to go,never experiencing any problems, but only very nice Mexicans that they encounter during there travels there, sometimes for months.

Posts: 4620 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post