SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hiker rescued from freezing temperatures after getting stuck in quicksand at Zion National Park
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiker rescued from freezing temperatures after getting stuck in quicksand at Zion National Park Login/Join 
posted
For those with some knowledge. I thought it was a fairly straightforward process to free someone from quicksand. Is it because of the freezing temperatures? I am also surprised that the injuries are limited to hypothermia. Here is the story:

ZION NATIONAL PARK, Utah — Authorities rescued a hiker stranded in a creek during winter weather at Zion National Park after his leg got stuck in quicksand.

Zion National Park officials said the 34-year-old man from Arizona had one leg buried knee-deep in quicksand Saturday afternoon. Neither he nor his companion could free him.

The man’s companion left him with gear to keep warm and went looking for help. She called 911 when she reached an area with cell service about three hours later.

The stranded man and his companion both suffered from hypothermia.

Late that night, rescuers worked for two hours to free the hiker. They were forced to to spend the night with the him as four additional inches of snow fell.

Winter storms caused decreased visibility Sunday morning, but eventually a helicopter was able to reach the man and transport him to a hospital.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/2019/02/18/h...-zion-national-park/

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I’ve been preparing for the day I get caught it quicksand since I was 6 years old.

At the time, I believed it would happen more often in my life than it actually does.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I’ve been preparing for the day I get caught it quicksand since I was 6 years old.

At the time, I believed it would happen more often in my life than it actually does.

same here. It all started after watching an episode of Lost in Space.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it was featured in the Tarzan episodes.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank God the shutdown is over! Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

same here. It all started after watching an episode of Lost in Space.

Ha! For me, I think it was Gilligan’s Island re-runs.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes,this. You had to yell "Simba, simba, ungowwa"and an elephant would come and pull you out. Tarzan was a fixture in our house.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
It's a "solid" until pressure is place on it causing the water within to move allowing you to sink into it. Once everything stops it turns back into a "solid" again, making whatever is in it stuck. To get out of it, you have to either add water or get the water already within to move to where it's "liquid" again.

I watched a video of a rescue the other day with a utility worker who got stuck in a trench under similar conditions. They had to bring out one of those big water boring trucks which introduced water while at the same time sucking up all of the material around him.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My childhood too lead me to believe that quicksand was going to be a bigger concern than it's turned out to be.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Dang that was lucky. Doggone near lost a $400 hand cart.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I don't remember any signs warning me of quicksand when I was there. Of all the things I might take into account when I'm in the outdoors quicksand isn't one of them.

I do remember reading about how to get out of quicksand as a kid.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the old black and white reruns of The Lone Ranger, I watched as a kid and how many times quicksand played a part in the plot. I too, thought quicksand was going to be trouble when I was growing up.

I wonder if the quicksand he was stuck in was partially frozen.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
quote:

Yes,this. You had to yell "Simba, simba, ungowwa"and an elephant would come and pull you out. Tarzan was a fixture in our house.

I’ve tried this with uniformly poor results

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
He's lucky the ROUSes didn't get him...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

thanks for the morning laugh!

who didn't play a variation of 'quicksand rescue' / 'lava rescue' when they were growing up ?? Big Grin

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Guys, be careful out there.

Quicksand is waiting to pounce on the unwary.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

ROUs'? I don't think there's any such thing.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

ROUs'? I don't think there's any such thing.

Oh , I think that they DO exist.....I saw them in a documentary about some princess bride , years ago. Boy are they mean !! Big Grin

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post