Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New cane Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted

I know V-Tail has mentioned these several times. In fact, I got my first Canemasters cane several years ago, a basic "Boomer cane", which I used sparingly, based on his recommendation. Now, like V-Tail, I need one regularly, so I ordered a new one from these folks, with a few upgrades. They emphasize the self defense aspects of a "stick", and the ability to take a cane virtually anywhere, on a plane, in a courthouse, whatever.

Canemasters teaches cane-fu classes in self-defense using a cane, also for disabled folks. They offer a "wounded warrior" program, where they will give a free 3 hour seminar in self defense for disabled vets, and for a class of 25 or more, a free cane for each ($225 value). And no, I did not pay that much for mine.

My new cane: the finger grooves go around all four sides, the horn is what they call the "viper's head", and the finish to the heartwood hickory is tung oil. I added some Renaissance Wax to protect it, as they recommend. The wood, btw, is a full 1" thick/diameter, unlike the common canes you find in your basic drug store. A crappy cell phone pic, as usual:

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
NICE! That is upscale from mine, and a good looking cane.

Mine is similar in shape, but not as nice in detail and finish.

After several years I wore through the rubber tip, and rather than take the time to order a proper one online I went to a medical supply store that's on my route from home to the hangar. It probably took four years or more to wear through the first ip.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

I am getting close to wanting-needing one.

I have a knee that hurts at times and gives out somewhat at times.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Bad ass. And has a great classic look. I got mine from a friend who passed away. I don't know who made it. It is a darker wood and has a different style head on it. I found it several years ago and gave it to my friend. It obviously has sentimental value to me.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I've had this discussion in a thread awhile back, lots of good suggestions but I'm still on the fence..but getting there slowly Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
There are Tazer Canes out there, that have multi uses... As A medical Company, I will not offer them, but they are out there...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Nice

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Some personal instruction in the defensive use of a cane has increased my respect for a 3 ft. hickory stick. Someone mentioned that watching a video would not cover the finer points of the defensive use of a cane. Boy, was he right.
The Canemaster demo shows a lot of complicated physical moves that some of us less agile geezers can't handle, but even the simple moves and strikes can be an effective show stopper. No, I haven't carried my cane in Walmart yet. I can carry concealed there. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
After several years I wore through the rubber tip, and rather than take the time to order a proper one online I went to a medical supply store that's on my route from home to the hangar. It probably took four years or more to wear through the first ip.

Here in AZ I walk on hard rocky/gravely ground or even landscape gravel, so it is hard on a tip. Canemasters does sell replacement tips. The regular ones for $0.95 are 1/4" thick (not counting the part that comes up over the cane). They also have heavy duty models that have 1/2" of rubber under a steel insert plate, for $2.25 each. That's what is on the one in the picture, though it is hard to see detail.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Canes are so versatile and unassuming ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Some personal instruction in the defensive use of a cane has increased my respect for a 3 ft. hickory stick ... the simple moves and strikes can be an effective show stopper. No, I haven't carried my cane in Walmart yet. I can carry concealed there.
Simple moves: Our instructor focused on stepping back and using the cane to block a strike. Very simple. He also told us about the 82 year old woman he had for a student. A purse-snatcher in a parking lot thought that she would be an easy target. A couple of whacks on his ankle and shin changed his mind quickly.

As far as carrying concealed in Walmart instead of carrying a cane, the same instructor told us that he was packing heat, but the cane was already in his hand when he was walking with it; he did not have to waste time drawing it, it was ready for use with no "prep time" needed. I always carry the cane when I'm out in public, even though I also have a SIG with me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somebody should wrap one of those in barbed wire and name it "Lucille."

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I had looked at these canes, but the weight was a possible problem. I use two standard V.A. round top canes and fine that I can move them quickly for catching my balance. Might not be able to catch myself with heavy canes.

What are your thoughts?

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
I had looked at these canes, but the weight was a possible problem. I use two standard V.A. round top canes and fine that I can move them quickly for catching my balance. Might not be able to catch myself with heavy canes.

What are your thoughts?
I am definitely not the strongest guy here, far from it. I really don't notice the weight of my cane. In fact when I use a lighter one, I find myself wondering whether it (the lighter one) is too flimsy to give me solid support in the event that I start to lose my balance.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:

What are your thoughts?

Initially, my cane did feel a little heavy, but after working with it a little bit, I no longer noticed the weight. You'll develop the wrist and arm strength you need. Besides, you want your cane to have enough heft to do you some good.
V-tail is right, a stick in the hand can be your quickest response to a up close threat.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I plan to start shooting IDPA from a start position of cane in right hand. Discard cane, draw and shoot the scenario, if the club allows it. At least where this is practical for the scenario course of fire. I am a right-handed shooter and carry regularly. I would welcome the practice for transitioning from cane to P220. 

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I plan to start shooting IDPA from a start position of cane in right hand. Discard cane, draw and shoot the scenario, if the club allows it. At least where this is practical for the scenario course of fire. I am a right-handed shooter and carry regularly. I would welcome the practice for transitioning from cane to P220. 
I haven't done much IDPA, but the last couple of matches were as you described: "beep," drop the cane and draw. There was no problem with the club allowing it. I thought about beating on one of the close targets, but decided not to do that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Need to take a photo of mine. When my back goes out I need a cane, so purchased this one about a year and a half ago. It's made out of a black walnut sapling that he bends and dries into shape. This thing is heavy for sure, but it has a flat handle as opposed to rounded (I prefer the flat). First time my brother picked it up he said "Holy crap, you could seriously hurt someone with this!"

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

What are your thoughts?

I just weighed my Canemasters cane. It is 20 oz. So compare that to what yours weigh. Mine does not really feel heavy at all. It also comes in handy as an extension of my arm, for doing all sorts of things.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
If you're able to zoom in on the back wall of our dojo, you can see a row of 3" staffs we used to work with along with canes. All very effective at blocking, striking, a good takedowns with follow-ups. Man I miss those days. My instructor was injured at one point from a motorcycle accident and had to use a cane for some time afterward. He trained and excelled in cane tactics.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post