SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A video of soldiers from the Indian Gorkha Rifles dancing with Khukris......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A video of soldiers from the Indian Gorkha Rifles dancing with Khukris...... Login/Join 
posted
Soldiers from the 4th Battalion, 3rd Gorkas Rifles, dancing during the Dusshera Festival in October. My cousin is the XO of this Battalion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gA3cRLNwA0

I thought that my SigForum friends might find this interesting.
-Sid

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
That was great! Thanks for posting. Jai Gorkha!

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Nepali colleague at work and he is amazingly proud of the Gurkhas. They apparently have had quite a good showing for themselves for any battles they have been involved in. Including an incident he told me about where during the Falklands camping the Brits droppped leaflets all over some town that unless they surrendered the Were going to turn the Gurkhas lols the next day. The town was abondoned overnight. Mostly same version of the story was also told by a Brit I know who was in the British Army in the early 80s. So who knows if just a good morale story or not.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
I have a Nepali colleague at work and he is amazingly proud of the Gurkhas. They apparently have had quite a good showing for themselves for any battles they have been involved in. Including an incident he told me about where during the Falklands camping the Brits droppped leaflets all over some town that unless they surrendered the Were going to turn the Gurkhas lols the next day. The town was abondoned overnight. Mostly same version of the story was also told by a Brit I know who was in the British Army in the early 80s. So who knows if just a good morale story or not.

The 'town' was Stanley, the capital township of the Falkland Islands.

And it was true.

tac

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
This story is a few years old but worth revisiting...also has interesting facts about the Gurkha regiments in the British Army.

http://www.nationalturk.com/en...dedly-uk-news-51354/

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

The 'town' was Stanley, the capital township of the Falkland Islands.

And it was true.

tac

Anybody who knows even a little bit about the Gurkhas would pick up and leave knowing they were coming. Wink

Here's a story about a Gurkha who was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross by the Queen of England, the second highest military honor, for single handedly holding off 30 attacking Taliban. When he was out of ammo, he fought with... his kukri. One of the last attackers came at him on a rooftop, so he threw him off the roof.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ed-kill-I-could.html

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Impressive to say the least, thanks for posting it.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Then there's this bit about some Ghurkas and Paras mixing it up. Big Grin

quote:
British Paratroopers and Gurkhas got into a huge battle royale in Kenya
By Blake Stilwell Dec. 10, 09:11 AM

The U.S. military has its rivalries, but more often than not, those go away once an operation starts. The rivalries in the armed forces of the UK may not transition so smoothly. Royal military police are investigating a recent training exercise that “descended into chaos” where paratroopers and Gurkhas started ripping into each other with “poles, bats, and heavy machine-gun barrels.”
paratroopers vs gurkhas

The incident stems from a rivalry that started two years ago after the same two groups started the same fight for the same reasons. Exercise Askari Storm features the paras from 3rd Battalion, Parachute Regiment assaulting a fortified position held by the Royal Gurkha Rifles, who are playing the opposing forces.
gurkhas vs paratroopers

“It was like a scene from a football hooligan film,” A witness told the British tabloid The Sun. “Soldiers were fighting using rifles and spare general purpose machine gun barrels as clubs.”

Apparently the paratroopers had been harassing the Gurkhas for the duration of the eight-week exercise. So when it came for the final showdown, the fighting became more than a training exercise for the men.

It seems like a bad idea to antagonize a unit whose motto is “Better to die than be a coward.”
gurkhas vs paratroopers

No kukri knives were drawn.

The Hollywood-style royal rumble featured more than 100 men, and an unknown number of melee weapons. According to The Sun, the winner of the brawl was unclear.

“I’m not sure who you’d declare the winners, the Gurkhas used surprise well so they may have clinched it,” they quoted one witness as saying.

http://www.wearethemighty.com/...paratroopers-gurkhas

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
If I had the skill, I would remaster that video with the music of the Village People's YMCA, just for funzies. Razz

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... my uncle served in WWII.

He tells the tale of a mate serving in the Burma campaign.

Each night, Ghurkas would individually slip out of the Allied camp, hunting for Japanese forward observers, snipers and the like, armed only with khukri and nothing else. Japanese nco/officers were highly prized targets and souvenir badges were taken as proof, but not kept as trophies.

His mate's tale goes ... Aussie forward troops had climbed trees during the night, to observe, snipe, whatever. The trees also provided some relief from the heat. He and his 3 other squaddies were within a throat swallow of each other amongst nearby trees.

His mate heard ... absolutely nothing ... prior to a hand clamped firmly over his mouth, his body locked up and something pricking the base of his throat.

There was a bit of movement around his neck, then a barely whispered ..." sorry mate ...", then the hand, the sharp object and the tree guest were gone.

He realized two things also immediately; that was a Ghurka with khukri and he had peed himself.

The third realization was that the Ghurka had felt the Aussie rising sun emblem on his collar.

Realizing that they may be too far forward, he fell out of climbed down his tree, not at all surprised to see his 3 other mates, same tale.

At end of their patrol, they returned to their camp to be met and greeted by 2 Ghurkas, who insisted on buying beers. But first, could they wash and change?

Great friends, they stayed in touch and visited Nepal and the hospitality until they faded away.

Better to die than be a coward.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:

Anybody who knows even a little bit about the Gurkhas would pick up and leave knowing they were coming. Wink

Here's a story about a Gurkha who was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross by the Queen of England, the second highest military honor, for single handedly holding off 30 attacking Taliban. When he was out of ammo, he fought with... his kukri. One of the last attackers came at him on a rooftop, so he threw him off the roof.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ed-kill-I-could.html

Great article.

However, I wonder if his mates make fun of him for not having his knife???

The only weapon he did not use was the traditional Kukri knife carried by Gurkhas because he did not have his with him at the time.

Hence the reason he had to fight with a bipod and barrel.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post