SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woodworkers: time to upgrade my miter saw.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodworkers: time to upgrade my miter saw. Login/Join 
Stuck on
himself
posted
I want to replace my old porter cable standard compound miter saw with a sliding compound. Any suggestions for a good upper-middle tier? I don’t want crap but I’m not a professional either.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
A couple of the better carpenters I know use Hitachi sliding compounds.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Bosch axial-glide miter saw - 10" (CM10GD) or 12" (CM12SD) version.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just scored this Makita 10" dual bevel sliding miter saw a couple of weeks ago from Home Depot for $399, with batteries. Never could find it priced that low on their web site or any other site for that matter. Can't even tell it's battery powered, it cuts and cuts. I've since bought one of their sub compact impacts and a 36V skill saw. I'm sold on the brand and their batteries.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ma...it-XSL06PT/302255047

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I sure like my Hitachi 10". It has a wide range of uses in that size.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of those, or a big ol 12 inch DeWalt, you’ll be happy.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Short of Festool money the Bosch axial or the new Makita with the forward rails are two of the better ones.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks for the input.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Short of Festool money

Everything's short of Festool money.
From a review comparing Festool Kapex with Bosch Glide:

quote:
And while the Kapex is a great saw too, it’s not “more than twice the price” great. The Bosch is about $600 and the Kapex is about $1500. As I see it there are two groups who probably should consider the Kapex:

Those who do on-site installs where portability, accuracy, and dust collection are critical.
Those who are obsessed with good dust collection.
Outside of that, buying the Kapex becomes a matter of “because you can” and not “because you need to.”

I am pretty fanatical about dust collection, Festool's superb dust collection with the track saw and sanders makes it possible for me to enjoy woodworking without allergic problems.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
All of those, or a big ol 12 inch DeWalt, you’ll be happy.

Best money I've ever spent........on a tool Cool

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Love my Hitachi C12RSH.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
It is a bit pricey but if you already use DeWalt battery tools their new 12" 120 max runs on (2) 60 volt batteries and also comes with a plug in power pack.

Seriously thinking about putting a voodoo curse on my rigid saw so that I can buy the DeWalt.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My current one is an old 12" Ridgid, but if I had to replace it, i would buy a DeWalt.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got an Hitachi 12" sliding. I wanted the 10" so I can use the same blades as my table but the 12" was on close out price that was hard to say no to.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This is a buy once, cry once moment. Trust me. This will last you forever (assuming you take care of it) and will do everything you could ever ask of it.

Dewalt DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compund Miter Saw

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a 12” Dewalt and their folding stand. Pretty neat to have a pro-grade saw that can be wheeled over to the side of a cabinet and stored in the corner of the garage.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
I love my Hitachi 12-in 15-Amp Dual Bevel Laser Compound Miter Saw; it's different from many other sliding miter saws in the sense that when it does slide back, it does not increase its footprint in the rear, so you do not need to leave extra space in the back for the rail to slide on, great for reducing use of counter space!

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Interesting to see so many who opted 12 inch. From what I read most people end up not really needing the added capability the 12” brings at a significantly higher cost.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
Interesting to see so many who opted 12 inch. From what I read most people end up not really needing the added capability the 12” brings at a significantly higher cost.

I'm kind of stuck on expanding my Milwaukee 18v FUEL collection, so my options are 7.25" or 10". I'm thinking I'll eventually regret the 7.25" if I go for cheap and light now.

They're both kick ass battery-powered saws, though. Portability is insanely useful at the farm.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:

Too many occurrences of me wanting to cut through thicker material in one pass and can't with a 10". Even if it was one time 6 years ago Big Grin

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post