SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dear Abby has a change of heart about gun advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dear Abby has a change of heart about gun advice Login/Join 
posted
http://www.chicagotribune.com/...20170703-column.html

Dear Abby has a change of heart about gun advice

by Heidi Stevens Contact Reporter

After gun safety advocates flooded her mailbox and social media pages, Dear Abby tweaked some lousy parenting advice she'd offered to a cautious new mom.

In late June, Abby responded to "First-time mom in New Jersey," who wondered whether she should ask other parents if they have guns at home before allowing her daughter to play there.

"Where do I draw the line?" First-time mom wondered. "Do I ask everyone whose house I'll be going to whether or not they have guns? What are the appropriate questions? Do I ask where they are stored and who has access? What else should I ask? Or should I mind my own business?"

At first, Abby went the let's-not-ruffle-any-feathers route.

"If you start asking other parents whether they have guns in their homes and how they store them, your questions may be off-putting," she wrote. "Because you are concerned for your child's safety, why not offer to have the kids visit your house for play dates?"

About a third of Americans with children under 18 have guns at home, according to the nonpartisan Pew Research Center.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that pediatricians incorporate questions about the presence and availability of guns into patient visits, and the group advises parents to pose similar questions.

"Before their children visit other homes, parents may ask about pets in the house, discuss allergies and internet access, and inquire whether an adult will be home," the group states. "Whether children can access guns also should be part of the conversation."

Off-putting or not.

Many, many (many) folks contacted Abby to express their disappointment after her response was publicized by Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense.

Georgia mom Julvonnia McDowell, whose 14-year-old son JaJuan McDowell was killed by a gun at his friend's house, wrote an open letter to Abby asking her to reconsider her initial reply.

"It is time to shine our own lights on this issue," McDowell wrote. "If you are committed to giving sound advice and promoting a culture of gun safety — as I believe you are — I urge you to educate yourself and update your advice."

And to her credit, she did. On her Twitter and Facebook pages, Abby shared a mea culpa.

"I should have advised, 'You are responsible for your child's welfare. Part of assuring that your daughter will be safe involves asking whether there are weapons on the premises and, if so, what safety precautions have been taken,'" she wrote. "If anyone feels your concern for your child's safety is presumptuous, do not allow your child to go there."

Much better advice, and proof that it's worth debating the topics we hold dearest, no matter how bitterly divided we feel at this moment in time. Particularly when a child's safety is in question.

Minds — and hearts — do change.

hstevens@chicagotribune.com

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pauline Phillips/Dear abbey died in 2013.

Is she channeling from the grave?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
Pauline Phillips/Dear abbey died in 2013.

Is she channeling from the grave?

Her daughter took over after she died.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Kind of reminds me of something related to this subject from a few years back. Doctors were being told to ask children whether their parents had guns at home. And in some cases, IIRC, were actually expected to forward that info to some gubbermint agency or other. My doctor knows I have at least one gun, because I wear it there, including physicals when I get heart scans, etc.

Nobody has said a word to me about it, nor do I expect them to do so.

As far as anyone asking about guns in my household, it in none of their business!!!

I do not have small kids around here anymore. If I did, I would make sure they knew the proper answer to questions about guns in the house. Specifically, NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I would ask first-time mom if she had a pool, bathtub, or staircase.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Busybodies gotta do what busybodies do.

Posts: 6387 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:

Or are there any alcoholic beverages in the house?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything poisonous under the kitchen sink? In the basement? In the garage?

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
A parent has the right to ask anyone who's taking responsibility of their children anything that concerns them. They may not like the answer and all questions should be asked in a courteous manner. For example:

"Hi so and so, if you own any firearms, alcohol or fireworks are they properly secured and the kids won't be able to access them?"

I know people who like their pot on occasions and while I don't have kids, if I did and I had to leave mine with them I'd make it clear that I respect their lifestyle choices but at the same time expect that they're not under the influence or doing it around my kids. If I didn't trust them, I'd simply make other arrangements. One of my friends is a huge pot head in his mid 30s and I wouldn't leave my dog with him, let alone kids despite the fact he has a 7 year old daughter with another on the way.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
A parent has the right to ask anyone who's taking responsibility of their children anything that concerns them. They may not like the answer and all questions should be asked in a courteous manner. For example:

"Hi so and so, if you own any firearms, alcohol or fireworks are they properly secured and the kids won't be able to access them?"

I know people who like their pot on occasions and while I don't have kids, if I did and I had to leave mine with them I'd make it clear that I respect their lifestyle choices but expect that they're not under the influence or doing it around my kids. If I didn't trust them, I'd simply make other arrangements. One of my friends is a huge pot head in his mid 30s and I wouldn't leave my dog with him, let alone kids despite the fact he has a 7 year old daughter with another on the way.

Why is he a friend?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Are there any pedophiles in the house?

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what did she say that was so overtly offensive?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:

I know people who like their pot on occasions and while I don't have kids, if I did and I had to leave mine with them I'd make it clear that I respect their lifestyle choices but expect that they're not under the influence or doing it around my kids. If I didn't trust them, I'd simply make other arrangements. One of my friends is a huge pot head in his mid 30s and I wouldn't leave my dog with him, let alone kids despite the fact he has a 7 year old daughter with another on the way.

Why is he a friend?

He's not anymore and that's one of many reasons why. I should have wrote ex-friend.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
How are your kitchen knives secured?

Do you have a net to catch the kids if they climb over the banister and fall?

Is there electricity in your home, and how do you protect children from its lethal effects?

Are your dildos and vibrators well hidden?

So many questions need to be asked. Make them fill out an application and get it notarized, then attest to end under oath while taking a polygraph.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:

Or are there any alcoholic beverages in the house?

Or saws, or hammers, or sporting goods, or gasoline, or ........
Either you trust the people or you don't. If you dont kid doesn't go over.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baseballs.

I gave my brother a bloody nose while playing "Catch" in the back yard when we were little.

Make sure all baseballs are secured.

By the way, Mom, when we were growing up there were over 20 guns in the house, ranging from single-shot .22's to a WWII Mauser, and ammo for all but three of them. Nobody died.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9154 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Doctors were being told to ask children whether their parents had guns at home. And in some cases, IIRC, were actually expected to forward that info to some gubbermint agency or other.
Got a link showing that docs were asking kids, and expected to forward the info to some government agency. I know docs were encouraged to ask parents about it, but never saw that they were told to ask children and forward the responses to any government agency.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Its informative for young mothers to ask such questions. It tells the person being asked that the mother is a lefty and probably not someone you really need your kid playing with. You will also figure out she voted for the Hag and other left wing causes. Nice way of saying she's probably a piece of shit.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Its informative for young mothers to ask such questions. It tells the person being asked that the mother is a lefty and probably not someone you really need your kid playing with. You will also figure out she voted for the Hag and other left wing causes. Nice way of saying she's probably a piece of shit.

If the other parent doesn't have any guns, how are they going to protect the children from intruders, bears, or zombies?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha. My kid would be... only 1 gun ? Your dad is a rookie compared to my dad.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post