SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is everyone using for a free standing humidifier?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is everyone using for a free standing humidifier? Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
Didn't want to hijack the Air Purifier thread, but I am in need of a replacement for our medium sized console humidifier. Searching on Amazon is an exercise in frustration with almost every unit having equal share great vs. awful reviews, and getting to clarity on filter availability and options a challenge.

Not necessarily looking for one rated to cover 3-4000 feet, but something bigger than a small single-room model just to take winter humidity from miserable to bearable. Also not really digging the idea of putting these on gas heat units, the cost and upkeep on three separate units just to install is going to be a bit steep I suspect.

Any suggestions from what y'all are using?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never needed a humidifer in the South. In fact I threw mine out when I moved from Wisconsin. The furniture would crack up there without the extra added humidity. The one thing I do remember is that you need to clean them religiously. All of the chemicals in the water end up on the belt or on the bottom. The one I had worked well but it was easy to ice up the interior windows if you were not careful.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Based on input from this forum, I went with this one from Amazon

We are well pleased with the results. Has reduced Mrs. PHPaul's incidence of nosebleeds from daily to maybe 1 or 2 a month.

No belt, just replaceable wicks and 4 gallon capacity means filling about once a week.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Based on input from this forum, I went with this one from Amazon

We are well pleased with the results. Has reduced Mrs. PHPaul's incidence of nosebleeds from daily to maybe 1 or 2 a month.

No belt, just replaceable wicks and 4 gallon capacity means filling about once a week.

Once a week??

Ours has a 3.5 gallon capacity and we have to fill it daily.
AIRCARE EP9 800 Digital Whole-House Pedestal-Style Evaporative Humidifier, Espresso https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
www.lasko.com
Very good company

Warning:
Watch some YouTube videos before choosing a machine to purchase.

Some are much easier to clean/maintain than others.

Also, it's very important to follow the use and cleaning instructions,
Watch some YouTube vids on
cleaning and maintenance, as well.

Some pretty nasty stuff can grow in humidifier's

Lime and calcium deposits are machine killers.

I used distilled water while living in AZ. As the water was horrible .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Once a week??

Ours has a 3.5 gallon capacity and we have to fill it daily.
AIRCARE EP9 800 Digital Whole-House Pedestal-Style Evaporative Humidifier, Espresso https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My bad, I should have explained more thoroughly.

It's in a closed bedroom so not working too hard. It was pretty thirsty until it got things moistened. Now it maintains 50-55% using that once-a-week refill. It'll no doubt get thirstier as the weather gets colder and the heat is on more.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
www.lasko.com
Very good company

Lasko is out. Had/have one but they stopped making/selling parts other than the absorptive pads. Not a big deal if not for the shitty and fragile design of their water tanks that sees the little lever on bottom that fills tank break off.

Appreciate the suggestions. We're not quite as far south as Michael, and in the dead of winter it does get pretty brittle inside. Typically only use this a couple months a year, but it makes a huge difference with sinuses, etc.

The Aircare is one brand that is frequently rated on AMZN and all over the map. I had come across the Vornado and it sounded solid other than supposedly having to replace filters every couple weeks....

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well that's good to know, I tried calling them, bit now they only e-mail.

That's a problem for me.

I've had a humidifier from them for 9 years w/o complaint.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
So I've sold Essic Air humidifiers for about 30 years now. they are made in the U.S. and they made a commitment years ago that they would not bring out new products that did not use existing evaporative media. So getting supplies every year is easy.

I have the 2 just whole house model but we sell a bunch of the ones that you just pour the water into the top.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We used a Essickaire MA-1201 for over 10 years until we got a furnace mounted one. Use their brand wicks. Excellent humidifier. Usually set to 1 step under the max speed.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Looks like Essic and Essickaire are virtually identical to Aircare models. Is that the same firm, or an acquisition/relocation of manufacturing?

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
It's Essic (formerly owned by Bemis Aircare. One in the same they used to be in WI but are now located in the south.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Yep I must have spelled it wrong. I have the small Essic and the larger one is actually a Kenmore stickered one. Same machine. The wick says Aircare now I think.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post