SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Printing a webpage without all the ads and crap
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Printing a webpage without all the ads and crap Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I remember a time when there used to be a print function on webpages so you could print the content without all the crap.

That seems to be gone these days (webpage owners want ads to be printed?). Is there a way around this -- printing the content without all the crap?

For example, I wanted to print this page re: knee pain after cycling. But when I try to use the browser print function, it wants to print all the crap as well.

https://www.bicycling.com/trai...hy-do-my-knees-hurt#

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Short answer - not really.

Are you using an adblocker - won't remove all the junk, just most of it.

If you have firefox/pale moon, you could get Page Saver add-on and save the whole page as a png/jpg & then use a screen cap tool to cut & paste into Word/word processor.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I was not able to print the article clean, but I was able to copy the text without the ads and paste it into a word document, which I could then print.

If you can't do this, I will be happy to email the article to you as a file attachment.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Does your browser offer a "Reader View?"

The only browser I use is Safari, on Mac, which does offer this in a drop-down menu. I don't know whether that option is specific to Safari / Mac, or if it's found in other browsers.

This view does remove all the garbage.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
You can make a User Style Sheet with the items you don't want marked as "display: none;". Which browser are you running?

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Okay - sounds like webpages are more ad friendly than consumer friendly these days. Figures.

Artie - thanks for the offer. I can do this; it's just tedious and not a great long term solution (if I want to printout multiple articles on a topic, for example.

I'm using Chrome on PC and phone. I can try Reader View on Safari on the phone.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Safari on phone with Reader View might work -- if the page ever stops loading (ads?). Thanks for that tip. Be nice if I could do it from the PC but phone will work on occasion.

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
The Reader view in Safari is also available if there are 3 1/2 lines in the left of the address in the browser. Click on those lines & Safari switches to Reader View.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
This website does a pretty good job of removing ads, navigation and web page junk. No login in or anything required.
https://www.printfriendly.com/

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
I use "Print Friendly & PDF" extension for chrome. It works quite well, it even allows you to edit what will and will not print.

Doh! Mikey beat me to it.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
can you copy to Word and delete the undesirable information?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Convert to PDF and then print the pages you want:
http://www.web2pdfconvert.com/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post