SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shooter targets back to school event - runs into a good guy with a gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooter targets back to school event - runs into a good guy with a gun Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
A Florida back to school event could have made tragic headlines on Saturday if not for the presence — and quick thinking — of a good guy with a legal license to carry a firearm.

“Peace in the City,” the event which was held in Titusville, Fla., was billed as a “day of fun” with “no violence” — but that didn’t stop a man (as yet unidentified by authorities) from returning to the location after a fistfight and opening fire.

Dwight Harvey, father of the event’s organizer, was on hand taking a live video of the event. Students were collecting and distributing school supplies as the shots first rang out.

A bystander with a legal license to carry a firearm quickly engaged the shooter, preventing what could certainly have been disastrous. The shooter was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, but no other casualties have been reported.

As Deputy Chief Todd Hutchinson told local ABC News affiliate WFTV, “We are extremely grateful that nobody else was injured in this incident. This suspect opened fire at a crowded public park, this could have been so much worse.”

No charges are expected to be filed against the bystander.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/08...good-guy-with-a-gun/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
As Deputy Chief Todd Hutchinson told local ABC News affiliate WFTV, “We are extremely grateful that nobody else was injured in this incident.

And, no mention of the good Samaritan. You're grateful to whom? Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best he should not be mentioned, or named at least.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet this one won't make the national news.

Posts: 230 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, best the name of the good guy is not mentioned. Good outcome, but one thing bothers me. Why is it they always mention that he has a legal license to carry? I really wish the 2A is all a citizen needed to carry. It makes it sound like you are a bad guy unless you get special permission from the government to carry, very UN-American. It's not weather or not that you have a gun that makes you a good guy or not. It is your intentions- the gun is just a tool, of many available.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I don’t think that 12131 is suggesting that the good guy be named. Just that the police officially recognize that a civilian stopped a bad guy.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Could be a possibility that mr 'bystander' requested he remain anonymous so he wouldn't be a target of retaliation.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I don’t think that 12131 is suggesting that the good guy be named. Just that the police officially recognize that a civilian stopped a bad guy.

Exactly!

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
America does not have a gun control problem, it has an asshole control problem. Aggressor expire!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I cant speak for Titusville PD, but I know that the Brevard Sheriff is perhaps the finest pro gun sheriff in the nation, and is very pro-gun, pro citizens with guns, and has on numerous occasions, made videos to that effect. I know a bunch of Brevard SO units were on scene at the shooting, and likely their command staff and detectives as well.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
America does not have a gun control problem, it has an asshole control problem. Aggressor expire!

This country has developed a lack of respect for human life problem. I don't know where so many people turned the corner where it is acceptable to kill someone who pissed you off.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I don't know where so many people turned the corner where it is acceptable to kill someone who pissed you off.

By the time you're 10 years old, you know that if an older sister, for example, gets pregnant, she can just have that innocent little life growing inside her snuffed out and the government will even pay for it. Bottom line: Life's cheap.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:
I don't know where so many people turned the corner where it is acceptable to kill someone who pissed you off.

By the time you're 10 years old, you know that if an older sister, for example, gets pregnant, she can just have that innocent little life growing inside her snuffed out and the government will even pay for it. Bottom line: Life's cheap.

That is quite a stretch.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6082 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
America does not have a gun control problem, it has an asshole control problem.

Quote stolen!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
...Silence from swine boy too.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon:
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

That is quite a stretch.

Not really!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Here is some video with shots fired.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Wow, shouldn’t this be front page coverage?

Bad guy shoots up a school event?

Oh, wait - he was stopped by a good guy with a gun.

No story at all! Sickening.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I could not find mention of this incident on CNN or PMSNBC. Imagine that. Wink Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This country has developed a lack of respect for human life problem. I don't know where so many people turned the corner where it is acceptable to kill someone who pissed you off.

I know it started at a small case called roe v wade.... soo...that year?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post