SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    what would some guy with a plane charge ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what would some guy with a plane charge ? Login/Join 
posted
If I could find a guy in or around Davenport Iowa , with a Beech King Air .

What would a guy have to offer him , to fly from
MLI to the Atlanta area , on a tuesday a.m. , and come on wednesday afternoon?

total weight 650 pounds 2)passengers and luggage

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
A quick Google search shows one site listing $1500-1850/hr.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Strictly speaking, some guy couldn't do this trip and charge you for it unless he was operating under a 135 certificate. Think charter company. It's been a long time since I looked at pricing on that stuff. It used to be in the neighborhood of $1000/flight hour. If they are waiting around, you may be paying standby charges. If not you may be paying for two round trips. If you want to that route, look up some charter operators, call them, and ask for quotes.

Good luck!

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.airmilescalculator....distance/mli-to-atl/

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redleg06:
A quick Google search shows one site listing $1500-1850/hr.

For a King Air? Damn, I hope that was 350 pricing and not C90 pricing.

At that kind of money it might be worth looking at pricing the trip in a CJ. It will probably be more per hour, but over that distance it may be sufficiently faster that the overall cost comes out cheaper...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I could find a guy in or around Davenport Iowa , with a Beech King Air .

What would a guy have to offer him , to fly from
MLI to the Atlanta area , on a tuesday a.m. , and come on wednesday afternoon?

total weight 650 pounds 2)passengers and luggage

Is there contraband involved? Seems sketchy to me.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
For that distance and payload, do you really need a King Air?

A V-Tail could do the job, maybe around 3 1/2 hours each way disregarding wind. Less than $500 fuel burn for the round trip.

Of course, fuel is just the tip of the iceberg when looking at operating cost, but as a general guideline you can figure 200% to 300% of the fuel cost.

As slosig pointed out, it would not be legal for "some guy" to charge for this type of flight unless he had a 135 certificate, meaning (in hand-waving terms) that he was authorized by the FAA to conduct an air taxi / charter operation, in which case the $$ would be more than just the cost of operating the airplane.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Quasi legal would be to rent the plane and get a private pilot checked out in that aircraft wanting to build hours to fly you and just pick up his meals and motel. I have seen that done before.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, somebody tried to get an airborn version of an Uber like service started but the legal issues killed it.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Victor Air or Wheels Up from my research.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A V-Tail could do the job,

would the king air make it a faster trip?
or not so much?

Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Bendable, I could fly it in our Fairchild Merlin III for under $14k, or a twin piston Aerostar for about $7k. Prices include all taxes and fees.

Merlin has a flight time of 2:24. Aerostar is about 3 hours.

We are a FAA part 135 certified operator with over 33 years experience.

If you're interested, email me at nickATcastleair.com

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's gonna be $$$$$$$

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've also got some requests out to operators more local to you. They would be able to fly it without the positioning costs that I have. Just looking through some searches for availability and cost it looks like $7k is about the minimum.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7k one way ?
don't go out of your way , this won't happen any time soon

posted Hide Post
$7k for the roundtrip.

Nick

-Capt. Edward Smith

posted Hide Post
thats awesome. thanks for taking the time to respond

posted Hide Post
My pleasure. There is an operator right there at DVN airport with a wide variety of aircraft. I have an email to them for availability and costs. It's tough to get operators to respond. Even harder on weekends.

Nick

-Capt. Edward Smith

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushpilot:
Quasi legal would be to rent the plane and get a private pilot checked out in that aircraft wanting to build hours to fly you and just pick up his meals and motel. I have seen that done before.
Taking that one step further, I might not be current on 135 regs, they might have changed, but last I knew, if Bendable were to get the use of an airplane, as in paying for rental, and get hold of a pilot with a commercial certificate from a totally separate source, he could pay the pilot and be legal.

As I said, unless the rules have changed, if the airplane and the pilot are from totally separate sources, Bendable could pay for both and it would not be a 135 operation.

In order to receive any sort of compensation the pilot must hold a commercial certificate. Free time-building hours for a private pilot is a very gray area and might be considered compensation, so not legal unless the private pilot pays his / her own share of the operating cost.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Go Indians - just watch out for Doyle!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post