SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2016 or 2017 Suburban/Yukon XL recommendations UPDATE Chevy Shake or droning?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2016 or 2017 Suburban/Yukon XL recommendations UPDATE Chevy Shake or droning? Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
We are T minus 2 months to being a family of 5. Wife won't have a minivan, not at all. We currently have an Outback she wants to go 3 across with the ejector/car seats. I'm not thinking it will lead to peaceful long duration trips.

An idea sprang into my head last week and it has been growing ever since. An ex-rental Subburban LT or Yukon XL SLT with a bench 2nd row instead of captain chairs. A 2016 or 2017 with 25K to 45K on the odo runs $40K-$45K it seems. They seem to be outfit pretty well. I'll end up driving it most likely with transport duties for #s 1 and 2 and she would have my Accord for #3 and it would serve duty as the family truckster for 3hr and 6hr trips to the in-laws and maybe longer duration trips since airfare will be incredible.

It seems the 2015s had AC compressor leaks, but I haven't heard much grumblings about 2016s or 2017s. I looked at some of them at a car dealership today, they look generally good, some minor pre-scratched fenders and maybe some key marks, but they will get some more scratches from the kids anyway. The garage will fit it. I don't have a need to tow anything.

Other possible options are a new AWD Pilot or Traverse. However, the wife really is into benching these kids, and I don't think the new Traverse has that option.

Thoughts from the SF braintrust?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scuba Steve Sig,

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Are you wanting the full rear cargo area???
If not get yourself the newest Land Cruiser you can afford.
The Suburbans are nice the inlaws just got rid of a 2015 Tahoe for the 2017 Suburban because they wanted the full cargo area.
While the Suburbans are nice the Land Cruisers are better built I feel.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I have an older Yukon XL 2500 and I love it. The nice thing is you can seat 5 comfortably and still have a ton of room in the back for luggage etc. It can pack a LOT of stuff. It is also relatively safe in an accident. Oh, and with the rear seat folded down, you have an 8-foot bed. You can stack full sheets of plywood or sheetrock back there and still close the rear hatch.

The Landcruiser is better built (I've owned two) but for sheer capacity you can't beat the Burb.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Landcruiser is better built (I've owned two) but for sheer capacity you can't beat the Burb.

That was my exact reasoning if he was wanting the full cargo space.
If only they made A full length Land Cruiser ohhh man what a treat that would be.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
For long trips in our triple car seat days we took out the middle seat in the second row. The two oldest sat in car seats in the third row, the youngest sat in one seat in the second row, while my wife sat in the remaining second row seat. The front passenger seat had the cooler. My wife could take care of the kids' needs while I drove. I don't understand putting all three in the second row as it's difficult to reach the second row from the front to attend to the kids. We had a Nissan Armada and I put a Yakima Skybox on the roof rack that held the pack-n-play, portable crib, etc.

Posts: 10914 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Are you wanting the full rear cargo area???
If not get yourself the newest Land Cruiser you can afford.
The Suburbans are nice the inlaws just got rid of a 2015 Tahoe for the 2017 Suburban because they wanted the full cargo area.
While the Suburbans are nice the Land Cruisers are better built I feel.

I'm looking for the massive room. Room for a stroller, room for a pack'n play, room to take a full sized cooler. Right now it is playing Tetris in the storage area of our Outback with only the 4 of us. I think the wife forgets all the paraphernalia that goes along with a pre-toddler child. I like the dimensions and look of a Tahoe, but the Suburban costs the same or less, gets about the same mileage, has a bigger gas tank, and has a more usable 3rd row. Plus, I don't think benched 2nd row Tahoes are easy to find.

I like the idea of throwing one of those trailer hitch shelves on the back and taking it deer hunting if need be. Not worrying about scratching up a $60,000+ SUV. Basically, the Canyonero episode of The Simpsons.

I like the .gov spec black on black ones, but one of the local stealerships has one in silver with 23,000 on the odo with an online price of $45K, so there is probably still lots of room there, especially with a desirable trade like a '14 Outback.

I know Subaru is coming out with their 3rd row Ascent next year, but it won't have a bench in the 2nd row, it'll be months after our 3rd is born, and throw in the "never buy a car on its first model year (or two)."

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
For long trips in our triple car seat days we took out the middle seat in the second row. The two oldest sat in car seats in the third row, the youngest sat in one seat in the second row, while my wife sat in the remaining second row seat. The front passenger seat had the cooler. My wife could take care of the kids' needs while I drove. I don't understand putting all three in the second row as it's difficult to reach the second row from the front to attend to the kids. We had a Nissan Armada and I put a Yakima Skybox on the roof rack that held the pack-n-play, portable crib, etc.

This has always been my idea with 2nd row captains chairs in a 3rd row SUV or minivan, but the wife has some sort of whimsical memories of good family trips in her days all jammed together in a Ford LTD. My brother and I were 6yrs apart and the back of my dad's 1984 Olds 88 was a battle zone even with us several feet apart.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sign :
This has always been my idea with 2nd row captains chairs in a 3rd row SUV or minivan, but the wife has some sort of whimsical memories of good family trips in her days all jammed together in a Ford LTD. My brother and I were 6yrs apart and the back of my dad's 1984 Olds 88 was a battle zone even with us several feet apart.

For my brother and I it was the rear facing third row in the 1973 Vista Cruiser. My parents would pack the second row seat to the roof to cut down on the noise. Were your wife and her siblings in car seats on these trips? I'm sure she'll make it work. Now that we are done with car seats, Ford still makes a body on frame vehicle with a big V8, chrome metal bumpers, and a 3 seat bench rear seat like the LTD she fondly remembers. The Super Duty.

You're on the right track with the Suburban or Yukon XL. Our Armada didn't have nearly enough cargo space behind the third row, hence the Yakima Skybox. When my wife decided she wanted a mini-van, she said it had more cargo space and I didn't believe her. I bought roof racks because I was sure we were going to need the Skybox. She was right and I never install the roof racks. She wanted the mini-van because she was tired of parking the Armada in the small parking spaces they have around here and getting dinged or our kids dinging the cars next to her.

Posts: 10914 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
Scuba Steve Sig,

You are right on target in choosing a Suburban or Yukon XL configured with the middle bench seat. As the kids grow, you can haul them AND your family's luggage.

My wife and I have had a 2015 Suburban and we now have a 2016 Yukon XL. Both are easy to drive and ride like a cloud on the freeway.

We ordered 4 wheel drive for Michigan winter driving.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 501 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
The suburban/Yukon variants are pretty reliable.

Several years ago we were in the same situation as you and ended up buying a Yukon from Enterprise rental car sales.
Since then we have bought two others (for our kids first car).

All three have been bullet proof with no issues and the prices were fixed (no haggle) and only had 20-25k miles and were less than I could buy at the dealer/private sale. They all also came with a complete service history and the balance of the factory warranty....

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6312 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Don’t discount the Expedition XL I believe it has more cargo space than the rest. I have a 2016 and love it! Ultra comfy and quiet. Most impressive vehicle I have owned.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8525 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I have a loaner Suburban sitting in the garage just to confirm it fits. It does. Last weekend I played with the 3 car seats. I can get them across in the back of the Accord without too much problem, but the back of the Outback was 1" narrower and wouldn't work without getting a different booster seat. The wife doesn't want to give up her Outback, but the only 3 detriments I see to this Suburban is 1) garage real estate it takes up, 2) cost, and 3) parking lot maneuvering. With Costco pricing, I am at only $5K more for a brand new one than a former rental with 22-25K miles and 7-10 months of rental duty.

One thing I read about was the "Chevy Shake" and the drone at around 40-45mph and 70-75mph. I kinda experienced the drone, but not the shake in my loaner. Has anybody else experienced this?

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
My 2010 Suburban was an off rental vehicle. Has 60/40 middle row and the removable 50/50 third row, fully equipped with the tow package. Paid about ten K less than the same vehicle "new". mine had 2K miles on it at the time. If you find the right vehicle, the off rental deal is OK.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a brand new 2017 leftover, I'd go after the Expedition XL myself. But in the long run it will cost you exactly the same to buy a new one (2017) with all of the current rebates.

People that rent vehicles drive them like they stole them, I certainly wouldn't buy one.

You can most likely negotiate a better deal at a dealer right now without the Costco pricing. If you're good at that sort of thing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
One thing I read about was the "Chevy Shake" and the drone at around 40-45mph and 70-75mph. I kinda experienced the drone, but not the shake in my loaner. Has anybody else experienced this?

When you say "drone" are you referring to the buffeting effect that some of them seem to be afflicted with? I've not experienced that myself on my 2015 Tahoe, but there are enough complaints on Tahoe Yukon forum that I believe that it's a thing. It doesn't sound like all vehicles are impacted, and some users said they would notice it in a vehicle and others would not.

I'm curious what Costco pricing worked out to.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I grew up in a family that had suburban after suburban after suburban.

They were awesome, especially for family road trips, hunting trips, prom nights, etc.

If I had a big family myself I'd get one in an instant, that or an Excursion if they had them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 46and2,

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco has Employee Pricing through November on them instead of usual Supplier. You can stack incentives and GM card earnings on that and after bumping up my membership to Executive, I should get $700 on a Costco gift card back. I'm at $52,900 before tge gift card and GM earnings and excluding TTL on a rental-spec LT with a 2nd row bench with Nav. Good value on our trade in and they are hopefully driving 300 miles to do a dealer trade to get it.

Yes, the droning is the buffeting. The loaner had it a bit. 5mph window starting at 40 and 70 mph.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Buffeting happens to tons of vehicles, and it's often easily fixed by changing how open or closed certain windows are (usually rear ones) by even an inch or so.

I've found it happens most often in larger, more square/boxy, vehicles (SUVs, Wagons, etc).

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Buffeting happens to tons of vehicles, and it's often easily fixed by changing how open or closed certain windows are (usually rear ones) by even an inch or so.

I've found it happens most often in larger, more square/boxy, vehicles (SUVs, Wagons, etc).

Supposedly this has something to do with the tire size and balancing and the more expensive ones with 22" wheels get it more. It's not the same across the board. Hopefully mine with 18" won't have it.

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We just traded in our 2008 Yukon XLT for a lease on an Acadia. We loved the Yukon but it was at the point where it went thru oil, front end needed replacement and the other usual things that a vehicle of 130,000 needs. We just couldn't afford the $60-$70K on a new Yukon.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post