SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Umbrella Policies
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Umbrella Policies Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Here is how you need to think about it assuming you have any assets to protect.
How much skin in the game do you want your insurance company to have? Minimums and you have an incident they cut the check and then you are on your own. $4 million umbrella, they are going to lawyer up and fight like hell. Cheapest insurance you can/should buy.

That would be if they go to trial and lose. But they're going to assess the situation and if it looks like your side will lose, their incentive is to not lose up to their maximum so they will settle for a fraction of their maximum risk. The settlement will cover them not pursuing the matter further.

Your insurance amount should be reflective of how much you're trying to protect, just like car insurance or life insurance.

Agree 100% that the level of the umbrella should reflect what you have to lose. My main point is that an insurance company is more likely to aggressively defend and attempt to settle on your behalf when they also have more at stake. If you have the $100,000 minimum (for example) and they know it's going to blow through that level they will cut a check and have little more to do with it. If they have the $2 million umbrella they will aggressively work the case.
Work for one of the major carriers. Monday is our monthly large loss meeting where we review those cases that have blown up and determine how they should be handled.
Many years of doing this and I'm always amazed at how some seemingly simple situation where many logical folks would not see a financial exposure can rapidly turn to crap.

Are you with State Farm? If so, do you know a married couple (Jamie and Karren)? I saw you were in Vegas so I asked.

Yes in Vegas and happen to have SF for my homeowners,auto and umbrella. Don't know a Jamie or Karen. Work for another carrier. Keep my insurance elsewhere as I don't want any possible conflict of interest if I'd have a nasty claim.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cheapest insurance you can/should buy.

+1

The only thing Inwould add is that I think most people buy the minimum coverage for auto. I have $1M coverage for auto and it increased the premium by less than $100 a year.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:Currently, I have AAA and I'm not sure they offer an umbrella plan.

Looks like I may be shopping around.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's input.

I have AAA. $2M umbrella was $417.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
I have State Farm and they require 100/300,000 on auto and 500,000 on home in order too get an umbrella. My 1m coverage cost $97.00 a year. It went down $27.00 when my wife died. They must charge per number in household and now it is only one.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Here is how you need to think about it assuming you have any assets to protect.
How much skin in the game do you want your insurance company to have? Minimums and you have an incident they cut the check and then you are on your own. $4 million umbrella, they are going to lawyer up and fight like hell. Cheapest insurance you can/should buy.

That would be if they go to trial and lose. But they're going to assess the situation and if it looks like your side will lose, their incentive is to not lose up to their maximum so they will settle for a fraction of their maximum risk. The settlement will cover them not pursuing the matter further.

Your insurance amount should be reflective of how much you're trying to protect, just like car insurance or life insurance.

Agree 100% that the level of the umbrella should reflect what you have to lose. My main point is that an insurance company is more likely to aggressively defend and attempt to settle on your behalf when they also have more at stake. If you have the $100,000 minimum (for example) and they know it's going to blow through that level they will cut a check and have little more to do with it. If they have the $2 million umbrella they will aggressively work the case.
Work for one of the major carriers. Monday is our monthly large loss meeting where we review those cases that have blown up and determine how they should be handled.
Many years of doing this and I'm always amazed at how some seemingly simple situation where many logical folks would not see a financial exposure can rapidly turn to crap.

Are you with State Farm? If so, do you know a married couple (Jamie and Karren)? I saw you were in Vegas so I asked.

Yes in Vegas and happen to have SF for my homeowners,auto and umbrella. Don't know a Jamie or Karen. Work for another carrier. Keep my insurance elsewhere as I don't want any possible conflict of interest if I'd have a nasty claim.

I know some attorneys who are counsel for Allstate and Farmers respectively. They each have their insurance with another carrier as well for the exact same reason you listed.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I got a $1 million policy years ago, when I started concealed carry, thanks to my discovery of sigforum.com and a discussion similar to this very thread.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
At 1st USAA didn’t like that we had a German Shepherd(she’s pretty friendly).

A few years later they come back and say the dog was O.K.

After the 1st turn town the policy guy said I could increase liability limits on auto & home to compensate some, should I desire.

I’ve most just hung with standard auto & home coverage.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:Currently, I have AAA and I'm not sure they offer an umbrella plan.

Looks like I may be shopping around.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's input.

I have AAA. $2M umbrella was $417.

Thanks for the input! I'll check into it.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post