SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Umbrella Policies
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Umbrella Policies Login/Join 
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted
I was wondering what the consensus was on the value having an umbrella liability policy. They are advertised as being a good plan for people who have significant net worth & assets like paid off home mortgages, retirement plans, etc. I was just wondering how they might compare to having assets in a trust.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if a trust would protect your assets from a successful liability lawsuit, but an umbrella policy will. And if you have a sizable policy, your insurance company will provide for your legal defense if someone sues you. The peace of mind is well worth the modest cost IMO.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a $4,000,000 umbrella policy because I have been involved with BSA and other youth activities in the church and was afraid of the economic consequences of a law suit.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is how you need to think about it assuming you have any assets to protect.
How much skin in the game do you want your insurance company to have? Minimums and you have an incident they cut the check and then you are on your own. $4 million umbrella, they are going to lawyer up and fight like hell. Cheapest insurance you can/should buy.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
How much skin in the game do you want your insurance company to have? Minimums and you have an incident they cut the check and then you are on your own. $4 million umbrella, they are going to lawyer up and fight like hell. Cheapest insurance you can/should buy.

That would be if they go to trial and lose. But they're going to assess the situation and if it looks like your side will lose, their incentive is to not lose up to their maximum so they will settle for a fraction of their maximum risk. The settlement will cover them not pursuing the matter further.

Your insurance amount should be reflective of how much you're trying to protect, just like car insurance or life insurance.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I have one for $2mm. I took it out when my oldest began driving. My biggest liability is one of my kids getting in an accident. I think State Farm charges me less than $200 per year for the coverage... Worth every dime.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

That would be if they go to trial and lose. But they're going to assess the situation and if it looks like your side will lose, their incentive is to not lose up to their maximum so they will settle for a fraction of their maximum risk. The settlement will cover them not pursuing the matter further.

Your insurance amount should be reflective of how much you're trying to protect, just like car insurance or life insurance.

Agree 100% that the level of the umbrella should reflect what you have to lose. My main point is that an insurance company is more likely to aggressively defend and attempt to settle on your behalf when they also have more at stake. If you have the $100,000 minimum (for example) and they know it's going to blow through that level they will cut a check and have little more to do with it. If they have the $2 million umbrella they will aggressively work the case.
Work for one of the major carriers. Monday is our monthly large loss meeting where we review those cases that have blown up and determine how they should be handled.
Many years of doing this and I'm always amazed at how some seemingly simple situation where many logical folks would not see a financial exposure can rapidly turn to crap.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Umbrellas are great piece of mind for very little cost. In my opinion the decision is a no brainer.

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you guys have me thinking.

what are you guys paying for this type of insurance? I have considered it in the pat but need to follow through.

anyone get it through USAA?

also - do you have to jump through any extra hoops if you are a gun-owner or CHL license-holder?

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
I have one for $2mm. I took it out when my oldest began driving. My biggest liability is one of my kids getting in an accident. I think State Farm charges me less than $200 per year for the coverage... Worth every dime.

Can you confirm that rate. I have the same coverage and pay more than twice that in annual premiums.

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
$5 million, $832/year at Allstate. The $5 Million is as high as Allstate goes on umbrellas.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Buy it.
Cheap peace of mind.
$1 million of coverage is less than $200 per year from Liberty Mutual.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by varoadking:
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:

Can you confirm that rate. I have the same coverage and pay more than twice that in annual premiums.

I wondered about that too. I have my auto, home, and umbrella policies with the same insurance company. The umbrella policy is sizable (>$2M), but my annual rate is about twice that.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
As always, a great source of info. here. Thanks for all your input.

I have heard most umbrella policies require the purchaser to also have home and auto from their company before they will offer an umbrella policy. Currently, I have AAA and I'm not sure they offer an umbrella plan.

Looks like I may be shopping around.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's input.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
I have heard most umbrella policies require the purchaser to also have home and auto from their company before they will offer an umbrella policy.

Usually, or they'll just surcharge you if you don't.

Posts: 6346 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
anyone get it through USAA?

I've got $1M with USAA for about $170 a year.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We’ve got one too. Our attorney recommended getting it when we set up our family trust. I’ll have to get back to you on coverage and cost though.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one with the same company doing my auto insurance. My auto insurance is with a company which does not offer home coverage in my area (special problems with hurricane coverage). Both companies agreed that the umbrella should be with the auto coverage.

It (the umbrella policy) can be thought of as expanding your auto liability. You are far and away more likely to need expanded coverage for auto accident liabilities, unless you have exposure elsewhere involving work or volunteer activities. I expect to see a rider disallowing sexual harassment coverage for any white male on my next policy.

I was able to lower my liability insurance on my vehicles which saves some cost there.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
For those of you with umbrella policies with Allstate, State Farm, Liberty, etc. do you have your primary insurance with them as well? My primary carrier is a local mutual company whose rates are far superior to the national companies. However, to get a 1 million umbrella policy, I’m paying a lot more than you all are quoting and getting it from a separate carrier. However, my umbrella policy is not just liability, it also covers UM and UIM claims as well. Do yours?

Posts: 12460 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

Agree 100% that the level of the umbrella should reflect what you have to lose. My main point is that an insurance company is more likely to aggressively defend and attempt to settle on your behalf when they also have more at stake. If you have the $100,000 minimum (for example) and they know it's going to blow through that level they will cut a check and have little more to do with it. If they have the $2 million umbrella they will aggressively work the case.
Work for one of the major carriers. Monday is our monthly large loss meeting where we review those cases that have blown up and determine how they should be handled.
Many years of doing this and I'm always amazed at how some seemingly simple situation where many logical folks would not see a financial exposure can rapidly turn to crap.

Are you with State Farm? If so, do you know a married couple (Jamie and Karren)? I saw you were in Vegas so I asked.

Posts: 12460 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post