SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you feel like rear window wipers are really necessary?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you feel like rear window wipers are really necessary? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
Driving yesterday the thought occurred to me. I have one and never use it. Sedans/coupes don't have them. Do you use yours?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a heavy rain, yes.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
On SUVs, I've found they are a significant benefit, not so much on coupes and sedans. I assume because the rear window on an SUV is close to the very end of the vehicle, it is subject to more road debris/rain/snow, etc. being thrown up on the window than on a vehicle where the rear window has some protection via distance/separation from road debris.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I suspect that sloped rear sedan windows don’t collect rain, snow, and road dirt to the extent that more vertical station wagon (which I have) windows do. I use mine all the time if it’s raining or in any kind of snow that collects on the vehicle. My early 1970s Jimmy didn’t have one and I was very appreciative that my 1984 Toyota Tercel SW did. I like being able to see what’s behind me, and outside mirrors don’t make that completely possible.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
My wifes lexus RX300 (or 350? can't remember) really needs the rear wiper. Something about the design airflow seems to suck all the rain and mist off the road and onto the window. It stays filthy.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Yes. On the XTerra the back window collects all the rain and gunk. With smaller side mirrors that also collect spray and aren’t heated, the extra visibility out the back window is very helpful but it needs the wiper to keep it clear. It also has a defroster grid in it for the same reason.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
My normal vehicle has a rear wiper.

I'm out of town and rented a sedan that (of course) doesn't have a rear wiper.

Yesterday I drove through heavy rain on an interstate for an hour or so and kept thinking, "damn, I wish this car had a rear wiper."

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
On my Honda Pilot yes, on my 3000GT VR-4, no.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
I find any adjunct to better visibility is a good thing. So yes if the vehicle has them I'll use them.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Frequently, but mostly just for the window washer. It gets especially crusty in the winter salt.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my 1998 Expedition, purchased new 20 years ago yesterday, rear window wipers are a must, particularly when it’s snowing.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
My wifes lexus RX300 (or 350? can't remember) really needs the rear wiper. Something about the design airflow seems to suck all the rain and mist off the road and onto the window. It stays filthy.

+1

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
on SUV's yes, the lack of a trunk or extended body allows all the road schmutz kicked up by your tires to coat the back window...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I miss my rear wiper whenever I'm driving my car.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

One of not many features that car makers have added that is truly useful. Or maybe big government made them do it. Whatever.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
yes

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. I wonder if the angle of my CR-V rear window makes it shed water better?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
on SUV's and wagons, absolutely.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On vehicles that have them, yes they are necessary or they wouldn't have them. Next question!

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nope. I clean the back glass on the old “barn door” Suburban when I clean the windshield at the gas station, if it needs cleaning.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post