SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you feel like rear window wipers are really necessary?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you feel like rear window wipers are really necessary? Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I think like others have said it really depends on the car. Our Lexus GX460 has one and I have used it twice in two years.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3639 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just saw an older Mazda 6 sedan with a rear wiper!

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be able to see out of the back window of my X1 when raining without the wiper.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
As someone who's driven plenty of things with no rear windows at all, the "absolutely" answers make me chuckle a little. Smile

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Only if you need to see out the back glass.

Posts: 1966 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Hate sedans. Most hatches have rear wiper. I use it every time the rain is coming down, helps tremendously with visibility. I constantly SIPDE when driving and use the rear wiper extensively. Daily driver and weekend car both have it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Comes in handy on my Escape.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3472 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
I wish my sedan had one. My previous wagon had one I used quite often. My wife SUV has one that I also use.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I very rarely use it (SUV).

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
On the truck, I don’t need it for the rain per se but for the sludge that forms on the window when it rains. Because of the rear aerodynamics the sludge build up becomes opaque.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
With the advent of rear view cameras, a rear window wiper is not needed.

My wife and I went to Chick-Fil-A when we first got our Odyssey. I was backing out of our parking space and heard a beeping horn. Checked the mirrors, looked behind, didn't see anyone, so I stared backing up again. Someone then layed on the horn. I got out of the mini-van and there was a guy in a Miata with the top down behind me. I coudn't see him at all. That's when it dawned on me we had a backup camera in the new Odyssey. First time we had one.

For the last 1,500 miles, the only thing I see behind me is a 5th wheel.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Hey buddy, long time no "speak". Necessary?, no but nice to have. Rain X works great. Para's comment about having to drive backwards pretty much sums it up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Hey buddy, long time no "speak". Necessary?, no but nice to have. Rain X works great. Para's comment about having to drive backwards pretty much sums it up.

Hey, Dave!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
on MY! car that would be silly ,
but on her mini van,
a rear window wiper would be in the top 12 desirable gizmo's

( auto trans
p.s., p.b.
Pwr steer
disc brakes
air cond.
inter wipers
pwr mirrors )

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
wouldn't want to be without the one on my hatchback.
The sedan version of my car has the rear window at the very same angle but doesn't have the feature.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If your transmission is broken and your vehicle will go only in reverse.

Or if you had to execute a J-turn during a thunderstorm...

Posts: 107461 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:

1st generation Mazda 6 5-door. A liftback version of the sedan.
That'd be my guess.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have used them, but very seldom.

Put me in the camp for better to have it than not.

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
On my hatchback it's necessary if you want to see out of the back window when raining or the road is wet. Without it there is no way to see out.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:

1st generation Mazda 6 5-door. A liftback version of the sedan.
That'd be my guess.

My point exactly. I have the 5 door, it's almost identical to the sedan unless you know what to look for. So the "angle of the rear window" doesn't apply to this one.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post