SIGforum
Do you feel like rear window wipers are really necessary?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5740045544

August 09, 2018, 02:11 PM
italia
Do you feel like rear window wipers are really necessary?
Rain X

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria
August 09, 2018, 02:34 PM
LastCubScout
I like having mine and use it every once in a while, but: "Now, my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving - what's-a behind me is not important!"

August 09, 2018, 02:38 PM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
On vehicles that have them, yes they are necessary or they wouldn't have them. Next question!

Interestingly, the Lancer Evolution had a rear wiper, but the standard Lancer didn't.
Not sure if the additional aero bits on the Evo made it makes sense, or if it was 'because racecar'.

The Enemy's gate is down.
August 09, 2018, 03:08 PM
smschulz
Hmmm, a question that keeps me up many a night? Confused

Necessary: no
August 09, 2018, 03:54 PM
rduckwor
yes

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
August 09, 2018, 03:56 PM
Otto Pilot
On my 4Runner it is a necessity.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon
August 09, 2018, 04:18 PM
Aquabird
I use them if I need to see something through the rear window, so yes I do use mine.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
August 09, 2018, 04:19 PM
cas
I only use mine very occasionally in heavy wet snow.

I removed the sprayer nozzle and put a camera in it's place.

August 09, 2018, 04:25 PM
bald1
Liked the one on my '99 Forester and have at times wished for one on my '03 Sonata.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
August 09, 2018, 04:39 PM
Strambo
Yes, needed on wagons & SUVs...but still rarely used. Just a quick spray and wipe when it gets dirty back there.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
August 09, 2018, 04:40 PM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Yes, needed on wagons & SUVs...but still rarely used. Just a quick spray and wipe when it gets dirty back there.

Except for the ones that forget it's on & it's still running 2 days after it's stopped raining.

The Enemy's gate is down.
August 09, 2018, 05:55 PM
ptruck
Not necessary.
August 09, 2018, 05:56 PM
lkdr1989
Living in western OR...Yes!!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV
August 09, 2018, 06:29 PM
whanson_wi
I drive a minivan on many MANY gravel roads. Without the wiper, I might just as well not have a window.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.
August 09, 2018, 06:35 PM
ASKSmith
No. I had one on an older SUV. I never used it. It would fail a state inspection if the wiper wasn't in good condition. Don't understand why a 16" wiper cost $40, when I can by two 24" wipers for $20.

I don't ever recall using it. At all. And I live in an area that gets frequent snow in the winter.

-----------------
I apologize now...
August 09, 2018, 06:36 PM
parabellum
You might need to drive backwards for a long time.

Or it might rain backwards.

It could happen.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
August 09, 2018, 06:40 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
on SUV's and wagons, absolutely.

Yes, agreed.
August 09, 2018, 07:06 PM
TomS
No

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.
August 09, 2018, 07:12 PM
Graniteguy
No - in heavy rain you can't see out the back window anyway.
August 09, 2018, 07:25 PM
comet24
Yes, definitely on some cars. Used to have a hatchback. Definitely helpful and needed in bad rain.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac