SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Protesters Rip ‘Bullet Holes’ Wall Decor of Brooklyn Restaurant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Protesters Rip ‘Bullet Holes’ Wall Decor of Brooklyn Restaurant Login/Join 
posted
This faux outrage about the "bullet holes" is the byproduct of the gentrification of this part of NYC in question.

Protesters rip ‘bullet holes’ wall decor of Brooklyn restaurant
BY DALE W. EISINGER LARRY MCSHANE
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Saturday, July 22, 2017, 7:41 PM

Tweet

email
X

Dozens of protesters turned out in Brooklyn on Saturday to slam the decor of their neighborhood’s newest restaurant.

The owner of Summerhill, who promoted her Crown Heights business by hyping bogus “bullet holes” in the walls and a sketchy past as an illegal gun outlet, was inundated with demonstrators eager to defend their neighborhood.

“That’s not what the neighborhood needs,” said lifelong Crown Heights resident Ayanna Prescott, 30. “The neighborhood needs child care. It needs schools.

“And a ‘boozy sandwich shop’ with fake bullet holes is totally disconnected.”

Brooklyn eatery owner sorry for bullet-hole decor, bagged 40s

The crowd of about 100 people choked the sidewalk outside the restaurant and chanted “Bye bye, Becky!” at owner Becca Brenna — who did not appear, but issued her second apology of the week.

“I deeply apologize for any offense that my recent comments might have caused,” read a statement from Brennan. “I did not intend to be insensitive to anyone in the neighborhood, and I am sorry that my words caused pain.

“I made light of serious issues and that was wrong.”

Summerhill, a new "boozy sandwich shop" in Crown Heights, is pushing its "bullet hole-ridden wall" as a selling point. (SUMMERHILL)
Brennan, a former attorney and native of Canada, described her use of “bullet hole” wall for marketing as “cheeky,” and also announced plans to serve a 40-ounce bottle of wine in paper bags. She has since admitted the holes weren’t from bullets.

Crown Heights eatery touting wall bullet holes accused of racism
Angry residents responded by hanging signs on lamp posts and trees denouncing Summerhill.

“This is what gentrification looks like,” some of the signs read.

A Summerhill employee (c.), defending his boss and owner, Becca Brennan, to a hostile crowd at the rally in Brooklyn. (KEVIN C DOWNS/FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)
Protester Justine Stephens, 25, moved to Crown Heights two years ago. She’s eager to share a “productive discussion” with Brennan about her comments, but held back tears as she spoke to the crowd.

“People from my culture used to sit on the corner and drink, and they’re trying to profitize that,” she said. “And that is their marketing. It’s not cheeky. It’s offensive.”

Brawl at Peter Luger Steak House sparked by Venezuelan repression
Judith Lovell, a Crown Heights resident for more than a half-century, said Brennan failed to consider the impact of her “marketing” on the neighborhood.

Protesters rally outside of Becca Brennan's Summerhill eatery saying, "boozy sandwich shop with fake bullet holes is totally disconnected.” (KEVIN C DOWNS/FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)
“Go out to the community,” she advised. “Find out what the needs are. This is not funny. People are dying every day. It’s absolutely terrible. And that’s why we’re gathered here today.”

Store owner Tracy Reid, who opened her business 18 years ago, applauded the arrival of a new restaurant before unloading on its owner.

“When you’re using the challenges we have as a community to mimic us ... (that) is very distasteful to the human experience,” Reid said.

Angry residents responded by hanging signs on lamp posts and trees saying, "This is what gentrification looks like." (KEVIN C DOWNS/FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)
Local resident Jamal Mohammad, 29, was far less outraged about the restaurant than the protesters.

But he recalled three shootings on Bergen Ave. last year — and didn’t remember seeing any of the Summerhill clientele at the crime scenes.

“I saw none of these organic, gluten-free guys,” said Mohammad. “What’s bad for the community is gun violence.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...nt-article-1.3348019

Posts: 387 | Location: NYC | Registered: October 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Jesus Christ, can't people just lighten up a bit nowadays? If you don't want to eat there, don't eat there. I mean seriously.

In the immortal words of Bart Simpson, don't have a cow, man.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
If you don't want to eat there, don't eat there.

Seems like the other side has forgotten this. Not only do they not want to eat there, but they don't want anyone to eat there.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the truth bites a bit to deep Razz

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
quote:

Seems like the other side has forgotten this. Not only do they not want to eat there, but they don't want anyone to eat there.

The other side has always been this way, if they don't like it, we can't have it either.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I can't believe she's apologizing to these f-tards.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
quote:

The other side has always been this way, if they don't like it, we can't have it either.

And the converse is true as well -

If the other side likes something (for example- single payer healthcare, tranny bathrooms, no guns), you are going to be forced to like it / live with it as well.

Posts: 3474 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
People just can't be happy these days unless they are offended by something

Yes, you can quote me on that

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
I can't believe she's apologizing to these f-tards.

Well...she is Canadian.

Posts: 594 | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many of the protesters have a job?

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another unforunate choice for Becca... the sound emitting from the door opening alert was the General Lee horn from the Dukes of Hazzard.

Posts: 912 | Location: Tucker, Ga. | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post