SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mrs. DF drops a bomb on me today...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mrs. DF drops a bomb on me today... Login/Join 
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes! That had me concerned until the punch line surprise Smile Awesome for you both, a few years ago my bride did a similar surprise...opposite of yours. We got thru that mess and are debt free today. PTL

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I'll echo what others have said about Mrs DF. There is no doubt I married up. I have friends with wives who make poor and undisciplined financial decisions. One of those friends takes home over 10,000 a month and they are broke. He sometimes has no money for lunch and has to either do without or bring tidbits to eat in a sack. Mrs. DF is a blessing. I told her as much last night. She may not be able to escape the confines of the garage without destroying the door, but she's a gem none the less. Big Grin

Our plan now is to focus on our retirement portfolio. We'll dump painful amounts into it for the next twenty years. We both have the mentality that we will never actually retire. We believe we have an obligation to be productive until we are physically unable. But we also know that as we age further our capacity will decline. However, now that we are free, she will get her RV and 30-ish days of the year we will explore the world. We are both archeologists and anthropologists at heart. We have an idea relative to helping the needy we'd like to launch too. Like I said earlier, this is a delightful game changer.

ETA: Another Jr DF would have been a nuclear surprise...lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Did she clarify that she’s not pregnant though? Confirm and report back.

I spent this week dropping our son off at a fine Wasatch Front institution (go Cougs!). I’m puzzled by the appearance of wealth on the I-15 corridor How do 30 year olds with young families handle the new house in Apline, the lifted F350 power stoke Diesel and the toys?

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Now that is my kind of "bomb" from a significant other. That kind of financial discipline also eliminates one of the biggest reasons couples fight.

I'll also say this about the younger version of the OP:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/-_IlNbsILLE

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Congrats! Did she clarify that she’s not pregnant though? Confirm and report back.

I spent this week dropping our son off at a fine Wasatch Front institution (go Cougs!). I’m puzzled by the appearance of wealth on the I-15 corridor How do 30 year olds with young families handle the new house in Apline, the lifted F350 power stoke Diesel and the toys?

It is confirmed. No new Jr DF.....at least not the biological way.

Much of what appears to be money here in Alpine/Highland is keeping up with the Joneses through debt. It is a veneer. Our situation was much the same many years ago. When the house of cards was knocked down (by a dishonest SOB), we learned the vulnerability of that way of life and vowed not to do it again. Now we are the reverse. Our situation is rock solid, but we live like church mice. I prefer it that way. My truck is 18 years old. It looks fairly shabby, but it runs like a top. With almost 400,000 miles it feels like it will go another 400,000. We have amassed some food storage enough to feed 7 people for two years complete with spices and heirloom seeds. We have 12 linked 55 gallon drums of fresh water that we cycle. Not to mention the ammo stores and loading components I've gathered. Guns? Yeah, a couple. Big Grin

There is this one itch I've had for a while. It is the need for speed. We'll see where that goes.

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
She may not be able to escape the confines of the garage without destroying the door, but she's a gem none the less.

Ha ha. I was half expecting to hear another tale of the garage door.

Congratulations.
Being without a note is an accomplishment indeed.
Smile

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

There is this one itch I've had for a while. It is the need for speed. We'll see where that goes.

Congrats. We drove our 03 Odyssey with 239K miles back to Provo this week. I feel ya.

Head over to Ken Garff's new Porsche/Audi dealership and pick up something new.

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I was concerned too at first. Glad it had a happy ending! Smile

Enjoy your debt-free house!!!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m puzzled by the appearance of wealth on the I-15 corridor

I suspect it has something to do with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Congrats. We drove our 03 Odyssey with 239K miles back to Provo this week. I feel ya.

Head over to Ken Garff's new Porsche/Audi dealership and pick up something new.

I'm a recovering gearhead. My need for speed involves falling off the wagon a bit. My dad has an MGB in pristine condition other than the engine rebuild came to a screeching halt in 19 88 and has not proceeded since. It is up on blocks in my dad's garage covered in dust and boxes. He has indicated he wants me to have it as a gift. Way to offer and addict a fix! lol Anyway, the plan growing in my heart which has kept me awake on occasion is to swap in an LS motor with all of the hi-po mods that go with it. I have a yearning for an 8 throttle body injection induction and some fairly extensive body mods. I would never do this if I had to buy a starter MG, but this one would be free and pristine to start.

Imagine this with side pipes. This makes Mrs DF melt. Big Grin Nice to know I can still do that...Big Grin Big Grin

Sorry about the image size.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: darthfuster,

posted Hide Post
Great job. Now take Her out for a nice dinner and rejoice

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say that's a bomb. A bomb comes across as something negative. But, that's awesome that your house is paid off! Congratulations! You'll be amazed at how much cash you have every month when you're not paying a mortgage payment. Invest most of it and enjoy yourself a little more!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is fantastic news.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Mrs DF definitely deserves a cut. Smile

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on achieving a rare milestone. Bigger congratulations on marrying such an amazing woman!

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your accomplishment of financial freedom from the mortgage company.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Did you tell the fish in the cement pond that they are no longer at risk of being repo'ed by the Banker Drysdale?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
What a great surprise, but you didn't know where your surplus cash was going for six and a half years? Sounds like she was on top of things.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Congratulations

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
What a great surprise, but you didn't know where your surplus cash was going for six and a half years? Sounds like she was on top of things.

I actually do better if I don't watch that and let her manage those funds. She's a saver. I'm a spender. Best if I focus on earning. Big Grin