SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mrs. DF drops a bomb on me today...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mrs. DF drops a bomb on me today... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
That's fantastic!! 6.5 years, wow!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Whoop!

Congratulations.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Wonderful news, brother !!! Smile

Be sure to ask Warhorse about RVs...

We have a travel trailer.

If i were able, kinda like the Winnebago Revel Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
If the RV's a-rockin', don't come a-knockin'... Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mortgage was back in the day of about 8 1/2 percent. Talk about an expensive loan! Fortunately I finished it probably 20 years ago but what a relief. Congratulations on yours!!

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The Dave Ramsey show would love to hear this on air. Pretty awsome lady.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
When wife and I built our house, we went with a 15-year mortgage instead of the standard 20- or 30- versions. We paid it off in October 2008, just when the Stock Market crashed due to the prime loan mortgage crap of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Since then, we’ve been putting aside the same amount of the monthly mortgage payments into a savings account which we’ve used for house repairs, improvements, and vacation requirements. This might not be a bad idea to have as it’ll give you some freedom and peace of mind should emergencies arise.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations !!! Now use some of that and invest for both of your futures !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
What a great story. What a great wife!

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Congrats! We paid off our mortgage on Wednesday. Feels great!

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's a very liberating feeling when your Castle is really yours! We bought our current home when I was 38 and went with the 15 yr loan because after crunching the figures we saved over 80k that way and the payments were only a $150. more a month. I had to talk the wife into it as we were stretched for a few years to make those higher payments because we were putting our two girls through private schools. But it was well worth the strain.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
That is awesome news she definitely is a keeper. 6.5 years is an amazing payoff time period.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We did something similar. We were closing in on retirement and spent the last 3 working years concentrating all our extra money on reducing debt. Shortly before we pulled the plug on our jobs, we succeeded on retiring all of our debt and have remained debt free ever since.

The feeling of financial freedom is overwhelming........

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
WHEW! I'm so happy for you (and to know you didn't screw something up). Us guys have to stick together!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn I thought for sure you were going to get another child. Congrats on the extra cash flow now. Your wife did good and you never knew it was happening

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ms. Bytes and I decided to pay our mortgage off for our Christmas present. It was pretty fun dropping the check off at our local Chase branch. It was the second most fun thing her and I have done together. Congrats to you and your family DF!

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I got one of those a couple decades ago.

Have to set the stage: I was entertaining leaving IBM for various reasons, wife and I had been talking about it for some time.

Came home from work one day and the Mrs proceeded to inform me that she had paid off the mortgage on the house. Seems she figured that if we/I left IBM we could not afford the house payment, so she used our "reserve account" money to pay off the mortgage. That her plan was to put those mortgage payments we no longer had back into that account, instead of to the bank.

Not a bad plan. It worked, and I stayed with IBM until I retired.

Those are the "bombs" that we really, really like to have dropped on us.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
6.5 years .. damn!

I was just thinking last week about how nice it would be to pay our house off in 15 years. We are only 1.5 years into a 30 year note.

I’d have to throw an additional $975 or so at it each month to accomplish it. But how nice would that be?!?

Congrats.

You might check with your mortgage holder to see about paying more each month. Don't know of any banks, etc, who can prevent it. Make sure that extra money goes toward the principle balance, and the lender does not use some funny accounting to try to defeat the idea of paying it off sooner! Paying it off sooner costs them money.

We were doing that when Mrs. Elk paid off the balance, from our "emergency" account.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
That's fantastic! There is no better feeling than being out of debt.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post