SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mrs. DF drops a bomb on me today...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mrs. DF drops a bomb on me today... Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
She's been acting weird for the past 6 months. Almost midlife crisis type thoughts and interests. I brushed it off as a phase. Figured it would pass. Well today she asked me to take her to lunch. As we finished up, the eating slowed and the conversation quickened, she said, "Hon, we need to talk". My reflex is to wonder what I screwed up. She had a serious look on her face; The look I get when she's worried about how I'll react to the news.

She squares up and just lets it out. "You know how we had a 15 yr mortgage?"
Uh,....had?
"yeah, well we made our last payment last week. The house is paid off"
Jaw drops.

When we bought this house, we were still smarting from a hard learned financial lesson many years before. We determined then that regardless of first cause, we were vulnerable because we were in debt. Between the house, three new cars, toys and a cavalier 'no fate but what I make' attitude, we owed on nearly everything we owned. When my company was defrauded and collapsed, I realized that in spite of how much I'd paid so far, I owned nothing. We suffered great loss and anguish as a result. Our resolve was to stay as far out of debt as we could from then on.

When we bought this house, the economy was unstable. Obama was bumbling around damaging everything he touched and we were unsure what the future held. So we under-bought for our cash flow. All of our vehicles are paid for and we had long since retired our consumer debt. This house would be our only obligation. We decided to go with a 15yr mortgage. Mrs DF handled the house payment while I handled everything else. We each paid the bills out of a common account that we both monitored. What I didn't know is that she was dumping most of our surplus cash into paying down the mortgage. She paid the house off in 6.5 years.

Blink, blink. I didn't know what to think. I still don't. This changes everything.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Marry her. Again!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Nice, congrats.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Sooo....you're not getting divorced? Wink

Seriously, congratulations to you both!!!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
And she's not pregnant or sick...TRIPLE BONUS! Wink

Take that woman to the primo vacation spot of her choice! You guys earned it.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
And she's not pregnant or sick...TRIPLE BONUS! Wink

Take that woman to the primo vacation spot of her choice! You guys earned it.

Right? That explains why she has been looking at life changes. She dragged me to an RV store this morning. As far as I've been concerned, that was not even on the radar. She's been talking about exploring and seeing things. I've been keeping my nose to the grind stone. Now I understand.

For the record, I'm not an RV kind of guy. Honey, break out the gerbils and the rubber sheets!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Good for both of you. You married well. That she did that is a sign of many good things.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Ok, had to do this. I have never had the missus give me this big of a surprise, but I know how paying off mortgage feels. Way back in the day I had a 30yr on my house in ME which I changed over to a 15yr and completely forgot about until Navy Fed told me I had it paid off.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. She is a keeper.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
does she have a sister?

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
6.5 years .. damn!

I was just thinking last week about how nice it would be to pay our house off in 15 years. We are only 1.5 years into a 30 year note.

I’d have to throw an additional $975 or so at it each month to accomplish it. But how nice would that be?!?

Congrats.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you what, the best thing I ever did was convert from a 30 to a 15. It upped my payment about $150. I ended up renting it and I added about $200 over the rent I charged. I think I finished in 9.5 or 10 instead of 15.

So....what gun is she buying you? Wink

Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Damn you had me worrying I just knew it was going to be she was sick or divorce.

I'm so happy for ya'll

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
That is amazingly grand news, Brother! Y'all are just damn awesome people! I havent seen you in forever and figured youre keeping busy, but now when i dont see you ill just imagine youre stuck in an RV near some national Park! Wink

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That was some serious cash flow dump. Congratulations!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Awesome! I really thought this was going to be about another little DF in the works. Which would have been great as well.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
She wants a RV? Now you can get her the damn RV. SmileCongrats to the both of you.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Back when we had a mortgage, my wife did the exact same thing. She doubled up payments when she could and got that thing paid off in less than eight years. I still admire her for that.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
This thread inspired me to take a look at our mortgage. Remaining principle: $2,160.34. Scheduled payments are $420.03 / month (what do they do with the three cents?), so if I don't pay anything extra, we'll have a mortgage burning party late spring or early summer.

Not really much incentive to make significant extra payments at this time; we're at the point where there is minimal interest in each payment, mostly principal. We can use the extra cash flow for the new roof (thank you, hurricane Irma! Frown ).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Congrats! You picked the right woman. Should take her to lunch more often. Wink

PS: the mortgage news is good too.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post