Picture of dwd1985
posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4454 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
The car that stopped first has the right of way unless car one has to wait for oncoming traffic to clear to make the turn. Then the car two which is not crossing traffic has clearance to make it's turn. I guess it depends on westbound traffic.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Car B has right of way, then car A can make his turn.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually the Rules of the Road for Watercraft also apply to automobiles in all 50 states. To make it very simple any vehicle that would be place to the RIGHT of dead ahead of your vehicle to your RIGHT rear quarter 45 degrees past 90 degrees will have the right of way over your vehicle. As a result the vehicle turning LEFT must yield to the vehicle turning RIGHT because during that turn the vehicle turning right will be in "danger zone" of the vehicle turning left. BTW, this is the same reason why someone turning left must yield to a vehicle going straight in an oncoming direction.

Basically it boils down to this, if you get hit on the right side of your vehicle most Courts are going to rule that you were "At Fault" for the accident.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
He who hits his horn first has right-of-way?

No, that was either China or Liberia.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Where I live, the law simply states "You shall yield to the vehicle on your right".

I hear this comment too "Your left, you go". Of course that implies don't get yourself killified by being a foolish driver. Far better to graciously wave your hand and let someone go on if any doubt.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Actually the Rules of the Road for Watercraft also apply to automobiles in all 50 states. To make it very simple any vehicle that would be place to the RIGHT of dead ahead of your vehicle to your RIGHT rear quarter 45 degrees past 90 degrees will have the right of way over your vehicle. As a result the vehicle turning LEFT must yield to the vehicle turning RIGHT because during that turn the vehicle turning right will be in "danger zone" of the vehicle turning left. BTW, this is the same reason why someone turning left must yield to a vehicle going straight in an oncoming direction.

Basically it boils down to this, if you get hit on the right side of your vehicle most Courts are going to rule that you were "At Fault" for the accident.

Intersections with Stop signs have their own bit of rules. When one car arrives before the other it has the right of way. If they arrive simultaneously right of way is yielded to the driver to the right. In the OP's example, had they arrived simultaneously, the driver making the right turn (Not crossing traffic) has the right of way.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
From my point of view and it's based on after the fact, It's whoever moves first such that if the second car should follow, it will create an unsafe condition.

In practice, Car B will usually be the first to nose into Road 2 just because he's nearer to the desired lane.

Now that I've said that, in CA, drivers reaching the inersection first has the right of way UNLESS turning left. So I read that as Car B has the right of way even legally.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
In Texas the vehicle with the largest wheels has the right of way, apparently.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Make it a roundabout, then you don't have to worry about stop signs.Big Grin

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
It's been 54 years since I took the drivers test for my license so maybe things have changed a little in a half a century. Smile

What I do is what most people do around here and that is who reaches the intersection first has the right of way. If you arrive at the same time then the car that doesn't have cross the right of way of someone coming from your left has right of way. I usually just wave the other guy the right of way because I'm never in a frick'n hurry like most people are today.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
In Texas the vehicle with the largest wheels has the right of way, apparently.

I like this. Pedestrians and bicyclists should review this.

I’ve been wrong before, but I believe the guy who stopped last has right of way. He is making a ninety degree right hand turn. Merging with the flow of traffic.
The first gent is crossing the road to the further lane, so needs to yield to all traffic.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1126 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one “has the right of way;”under certain circumstances one driver is required to yield the right of way to another. The distinction is somewhat subtle but important. My recollection is that the car with the stop sign yields to the one without one.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Here in Michigan, I think Car A would legally have the right of way. In practice, if Car B takes off quickly enough, it wouldn't make much difference.

If I were driving Car A, I would wait for cross traffic to clear then slowly start pulling out. If Car B waits, fine. If he starts his turn, I would slow up to accommodate him. No horns, no fingers. You don't want to have a crack up over something like this.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
If right turn car mats it when safe left turn vehicle has no possible way of being interfered with. People need to move their asses.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:

Who has the right of way? Both vehicles want to head east on road 2 once traffic is clear.

If we're speaking in general? Car 1 has the RoW unless as previously mentioned it's blocked by oncoming traffic that Car 2 doesn't have to deal with and can proceed before Car 1 is clear.

That said, if you live in my town, wait for everything to clear and then proceed. Assholes around here can't navigate a 4 way stop regardless of who obviously stopped first, and waited for others to clear after stopping.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
He who hits his horn first has right-of-way?

No, that was either China or Liberia.

Turkey. This was absolutely true when I was in Turkey.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ohio/..._regarding_right_of/

A reddit discussion over the same situation listed on this thread.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
In NJ the vehicle to the right has the right of way in uncontrolled intersections per NJSA 39:4-90

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The vehicle who's driver completes the text, social media post, instagram photo first is to proceed first.

Posts: 23397 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post