December 7th Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Never forget.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
My dad was a Marine there on December 7th 1941. He was stationed on the Nevada.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I just put out my flag at work.

!/2 Staff! until sunset...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your post. Have been watching "the tube" carefully this morning and have heard no mention of this. I personally believe that if we fail to remember ANY PART of our history then we are in danger of forgetting ALL of it. And the stellar job that the public schools are doing these days threatens to produce "citizens" with no knowledge of important historical facts at all.
Was watching a youtube video last night about dogfights in the South Pacific between the zeroes and the F4F Wildcats. Of course the Wildcats were completely outclassed at that time; but that didn't stop the American pilots from going against them anyway. I came away with the feeling that if all the Americans had had at that time were biplanes & box kites then they probably would have flown them against the Japanese. Amazing people. Amazing generation. Thank God we had them.

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
If you want really good books about personal experiences of the attack, I cannot recommend the following books highly enough:

The Other Side of Infamy, by Jim Downing.

He was assigned to USS West Virginia, but was staying with friends during the attack. He returned to his ship during the attack to help rescue survivors. After the attack, he stayed at Pearl helping salvage the Wee Vee, and served in the Navy for years after the war. I met him - he's about 104 yrs old now and is a REALLY great, modest, and humble man. He also helped co-found the Navigators missionary group.

All the Gallant Men, by Donald Stratton.

He was on the Arizona, and barely survived (he was burned over 60% of his body). He was released from the Navy after his recovery, but wanted back in the war. He had to go through Basic Training again (to prove he could do the work despite his injuries), and served on a destroyer for the rest of the war. He is in Hawaii today at the 76th anniversary. If you watch the coverage, you will likely see him. When he wrote that book last year, there were only 5 living Arizona survivors. I'm scheduled to meet him next year to get my book autographed.

These guys have ALWAYS been my heroes.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
The Memphis newspaper had a small article about it this morning on page 14. It wasn't even about remembering, just comparing the U.S./Japan situation then and the U.S./N. Korea situation now.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The attack on Pearl Harbor is a classic example of a tactical victory but a strategic blunder.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Hell of a day to be born on. Hard to get through the day without a little weep. I have never been. Definitely on the list.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
We had the resolve to win that war. With tremendous heroism on the battlefield and in the air and on the seas and not least, in the homefront behind the warriors. We prevailed.
Pray that we will with our current ongoing war that has lasted since our nation's earliest years.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v...1001/?#sp=show-clips

Trump signs Pearl Harbor declaration

Dec. 07, 2017 - 6:20 - Fox News military analyst Gen. Jack Keane (Ret.) reacts to President Donald Trump’s signing a proclamation declaring Dec. 7 National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCVZ0m7clos

President Trump Signs a Proclamation for National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely the greatest generation.

Even here in the commie SF Bay Area, One of the highest local peaks, Mt Diablo, has a signal light on top of it that is lit just 1 night per year, only on December 7. Never Forget.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
"... The American people, in their righteous might, will win through to absolute victory."

I wish our country could find this mentality again.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
We need to find this resolve once again.

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reminder. Rest in peace to those who fell under the attacks.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made it a point to walk among the graves of MQTs WWII vets today in Park Cemetery. Several were KIA during the war.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I was at Pearl 4 years ago and it is a very special place. I bought an Arizona hat and wear it in honor of those who served on her.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Many of us here are old enough to have some direct personal connection to somebody or some place involved in WWII. Soon even we will be just those old people at gatherings talking about ancient history.

I fondly remember my high school history teacher's father talking to us on a December 7th (1975?) about his experience being stationed at Hickam Field when the Japanese attacked. I saw the serial number tattoos on the arms of several Jewish friends' older relatives who'd survived concentration camps. My grandfather and great-grandfather were involved in WWII aircraft manufacturing. (My great-grandfather designed the factory in Linden NJ where the F4F Wildcat was built, and I learned to fly at that airport in the 1970's).

For my kids' generation (in their 30's now), WWII is as far in the past to them as the Civil War was to me! Though they won't have the same connection, I hope they have the same passion for the lessons learned.

Posts: 9399 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
USS Arizona, she still weeps for those lost that day. 1177 men...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post