SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    IT Gurus of Windows 10.....please step in.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IT Gurus of Windows 10.....please step in. Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
Greetings, oh sage ones...

It's beginning to look a lot like......mother is going to need a new computer (thought I was going to say Christmas, eh?). My brother and I are looking at all-in-one systems to save space, as all she does is e-mail and a few select browser pages to include Amazon shopping, etc.

The issue, is that 82-year old mother is EXTREMELY resistent to change, and I'm pretty sure any system purchased is going to come with Windows 10...mac users, don't even start in with your propaganda. Smile. Anyway, I think I remember reading something that you can configure Windows 10 to emulate the Windows 7 desktop environment to a great degree. It would be really helpful for our sanity in transition if that were the case, as mother has been on Windows 7 for years.

So...is that a true statement? Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
http://www.classicshell.net

It won't be *exactly* like Windows 7, but it gets close enough that she should be ok.

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
can configure Windows 10 to emulate the Windows 7 desktop environment to a great degree

It already pretty much is for the average user.
The latest releases don't really need the Classic Shell as did early W10 and W8 releases.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Use the desktop and stay there, you won't see the difference.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If she's going from 7 to 10, logging in, shutting down, and restarting will be a little different, but other than that it's almost the same as 7 until you try to change settings, as you can no longer do most everything through the Control Panel. Some things are now managed via "Settings" instead, but that's probably your job to manage, not hers. Wink (I'm in the same boat with my mother's laptop.)

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend a Mac, but I would strongly urge you to consider an iPad. Man did THAT make my life easier when I got my 83 year old mother one. Like your's, all she did was email and a little browsing/shopping. No more Windows updates, or virus scan software for me to deal with. Lower maintenance for ME.

and many of the places she wanted to browse to had their own app which just made the experience that much easier. Facebook/Amazon etc.

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck! Cheers!

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I wouldn't recommend a Mac, but I would strongly urge you to consider an iPad. Man did THAT make my life easier when I got my 83 year old mother one. Like your's, all she did was email and a little browsing/shopping. No more Windows updates, or virus scan software for me to deal with. Lower maintenance for ME.

and many of the places she wanted to browse to had their own app which just made the experience that much easier. Facebook/Amazon etc.

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck! Cheers!

Although you can do most computing tasks on an iPad, nearly everything is very different than on a "computer". As this situation was described, this would be a steep learning curve. Quite a bit more so than going from W7 to W10.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Although you can do most computing tasks on an iPad, nearly everything is very different than on a "computer". As this situation was described, this would be a steep learning curve. Quite a bit more so than going from W7 to W10.

But oh so much less trouble thereafter.

I would never recommend anybody in this day and age use a general purpose computer for merely browsing and email. It'd be way overkill.

Unless screen size was an issue.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If she does much typing, she probably won't want a tablet. My mom is 80, and very involved in church and volunteer activities that require her to do a fair amount of typing. Mostly it's in email, but she uses Word sometimes, too, and saves documents to folders.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post