SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I didn't, but now I would.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I didn't, but now I would. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I had planned to stock up on the old incandesent light bulbs but missed out on the opportunity like a couple of years ago, whoops.

So I am guessing is probably against some stupid regulation to sell them now. But in the chance there is some where to buy them please let me know. If there is and they are cheap I will buy.

Thanks guys and gals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why on earth would you want them? The new LEDs are cheap, last a very long time and produce the same light as the old incandescants did and just as bright. Where are you located? I have an entire case of incandescents I have no use for, not sure how much shipping would be though.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Gotta stock up on them for the EZ Bake Oven.

They still sell the ones listed as "heavy duty"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I had planned to stock up on the old incandesent light bulbs but missed out on the opportunity like a couple of years ago, whoops.
So I am guessing is probably against some stupid regulation to sell them now. But in the chance there is some where to buy them please let me know. If there is and they are cheap I will buy.
Thanks guys and gals.

Have you tried going to a store?? The "Chicken Little" regs didn't pan out or didn't come into effect yet.
Home Despot still has them as do others.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Last I was in wallyworld they had them.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Why on earth would you want them? The new LEDs are cheap, last a very long time and produce the same light as the old incandescants did and just as bright.

I agree. The CFLs sucked, but the new LEDs are great. As incandescents burn out, they are all being replaced with LED at my house and office. Bulb changing is becoming a rare event as the numbers shift. I don't miss it a bit.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
WalMart has them all over the place. I thought that new regulation completely died out...was it just delayed?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Most incandesant bulbs now don't last very long. All made with cheap overseas crap. I too have been converting to LED, but I do have a case of Sylvania 100w that was given to me when their elementary school made the switch. Still use them in my barn loft.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I remember the brass base ones people sold door to door to raise money for Veterans. Even those got changed to aluminum.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
while looking for something else I came across a dozen 75W and a dozen 100W bulbs in the hall closet.

I guess they are at least 4 years old ,
so its been 4 years since I remembered to do something

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Even I have converted completely to LEDs.

A 4 pack is $5 at Wallyworld.

They use a single watt and produce the illumination of a 60 watt bulb.

That's one tenth the usage of a mercury filled squiggle lamp.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
And yet I was called a dinosaur for still using an iPod classic. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
We have two table lamps, that change light levels when you touch the base. As far as I know, they haven’t made LEDs that will work in them yet.
Those are the only incandescent bulbs in the house.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
WalMart has them all over the place. I thought that new regulation completely died out...was it just delayed?

I thought the regulations said that they simply couldn't manufacture any more, but stores can still sell them.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Dan, Fleet Farm has an OnLine site. We have a few cases of them in our stores. They were really inexpensive.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We stocked up on them. They're still sitting on the shelves in the basement--every last one of them.

Although, at least with X10 dimmers, our luck with incans hasn't been great. We've tried Feit (when they first appeared) and CREE.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I put a led in my garage door opener and it got really goofy. Called the manufacture and they said that is common with some brands of leds.
Put an incandescent bulb back in and it slowly returned to normal.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
We stocked up on them. They're still sitting on the shelves in the basement--every last one of them.

Although, at least with X10 dimmers, our luck with incans hasn't been great. We've tried Feit (when they first appeared) and CREE.

Oh gosh, you still have x10 stuff in your house? That stuff was placed on the earth to drive electricians mad.

Yes you can still get incandescent lamps, you just need to get Halogen ones, they look very similar in all ways to standard lamps. You can also get 130v, double life, or appliance ones. I've always used 130v bulbs so no change for me. I buy mine at the electrical supply house and can order cases of them if I wanted too. I've only had three light bulbs blow inside the house in last 6-7 years. I do use LED in a couple outdoor fixtures. Even my Flood lights are incandescent because I dim them. I have them wired to a motion sensor which feeds a dimmer then goes back out to the lights.

We thought we'd eventually get screwed over by stores converting to LED, nope we just fix LEDs now instead. The dirty secret no one will tell you is they don't last 22 years, not even close. The way most people use them fries the circuitry on them. When used upside down it cuts their life down big time, when used in fully enclosed fixtures even more so.

I had three calls in last two days due to LEDs:

Call 1 store screwed a LED into a HID (metal halide) fixture, lots of smoke and melting. $197 to tell them don't use LEDs in those fixtures.

Call 2 Mall turned off power for some kind of repairs, the dip then spike of restoring entire mall power at once destroyed 5/6 LED drivers for Aveda store leaving their product shelves unlit. Couple thousand in repairs because the power went out.

Call 3 kitchen recess acting funny. Found customer had got entire case of bad lamps. $125 to tell him his lamps suck.

I have a love/hate relationship with them. Customers find it really difficult to believe that the claims on the box aren't true there must be an electrical problem.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Oh gosh, you still have x10 stuff in your house? That stuff was placed on the earth to drive electricians mad.
Most electricians I know don't need any assistance!

I still have a fair amount of X10 stuff kicking around, but rarely use it any more.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
No good ole light bulbs in any wally or hd or lowes around here. even the local hardware stores don't have any so they are not very accessible around here and I don't see led bulbs for like a $1 each either.

I am looking for 60,75 and 100watt light bulbs. Seems like they don't exist anymore. I most be in some vortex Frown

And why do or would I want them? Well, that is just how it is guys. Sorry if that has a negative impact on you. Wink

Jimmy123x, shoot me an email for location if you would consider shipping. Probably be $12-$15 to ship a box I would guess.
If I don't hear from you no problem.

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post