SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Resell Gun Market Has Gotten Soft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resell Gun Market Has Gotten Soft Login/Join 
posted
Do you all feel like the resell narket for guns has softened up? I remember 5-7 years ago used guns were everywhere and places like ArmsList, FloridaGunTrader, and forum for sale pages were always updated with new toys every day. The last 2-3 years it feels very dry. Prices arent as good as before and people seem to be holding onto more of everything. Granted, particularly the AK import market has dried up, but I used to see Norinco everything pop up. Now it is like gold.

Thoughts?

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fallenangelhim:
Do you all feel like the resell narket for guns has softened up? I remember 5-7 years ago used guns were everywhere and places like ArmsList, FloridaGunTrader, and forum for sale pages were always updated with new toys every day. The last 2-3 years it feels very dry. Prices arent as good as before and people seem to be holding onto more of everything. Granted, particularly the AK import market has dried up, but I used to see Norinco everything pop up. Now it is like gold.

Thoughts?

Huh? it seems the exact opposite to me. There's a flood of guns on the market and prices are down as a result. Compare that to the Obama panic years when people were literally lined up, deli-style with number tickets at my LGS (I saw it with my own eyes) buying everything and anything they could get their hands on and for premium prices.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
People are holding onto stuff because the market is soft.

Lots of idiots overspent during the Obama era and can't fathom letting go of something for 1/2 of what they paid for it.

I have a couple of things I'd like to move but there is no point in trying, as (1) I don't need the money and (2) they don't currently sell for what I believe they can in a normal market, one that isn't flooded with new, cheap, plentiful stuff from manufacturers trying to stay afloat.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I've sold 3 rifles lately, and they went quickly for my asking price. Quality blue steel/walnut is doing fine.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
I've sold 3 rifles lately, and they went quickly for my asking price. Quality blue steel/walnut is doing fine.

Yep. I've been downsizing my milsurp collection this year through Armslist, and everything I've listed has sold relatively quickly for my asking price.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, quality stuff still brings good prices and has high demand. Cheap commodity plastic is a different story.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
on the east coast, the market is a bit soft, as far as retail stores,

seems a lot of folks have realized they can sell online themselves, or just want to hang on, give to family, etc etc,

Tupperware guns are soft now, but think about how many sold over the last year or so at sale prices and rebates,

wood and steel always sells,

several niche markets are going strong,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Quality arms are doing OK I'd say. I see a lot that doesn't meet the Reserve on a few of the Auction sites; Julias, etc. But I'd say that overall, the quality wood and metal market is still good.

Sold quite a few items a few weeks back at the Bozeman gun show. Probably because there IS some money in the area.

Recently saw a neighbor who bought SEVERAL HUNDRED AR mags prior to the election in 2016. He bought a huge crate of the cheapo Canadian, polymer mags....And paid basically P-Mag prices. BAD market for him. But for the rest of us I'd say it OK.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
Here in the the midwest, gun sales are "soft" across the board.
People bought in when the market was hot and now prices are at 2/3rds at best of what they were during the Obama years.

Shotguns in particular are hard hit. They're called "tomato stakes" at gunshows now because that's what you need to use them for, 'cause you can't sell them.

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Well, I can say that I am ready for HK P7M8's to come down some.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:

Shotguns in particular are hard hit. They're called "tomato stakes" at gunshows now because that's what you need to use them for, 'cause you can't sell them.

GGF

12ga market is real soft,

12ga SxS market is practically dead, unless it is a nice 90%++ example,

however, smaller caliber marked is better, , 16ga/20ga/28ga/410 sell relatively quick with little negotiation,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Well, I can say that I am ready for HK P7M8's to come down some.

I concur! I am so sorry that I sold my P7 and have been itching to find one that doesn't require selling a body part...

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I saw large jugs of popular gun powder on sale at sportsman warehouse here locally I was shock to say the least most of the time the shelves are empty. cant hardly give a .40 away

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I saw large jugs of popular gun powder on sale at sportsman warehouse here locally I was shock to say the least most of the time the shelves are empty. cant hardly give a .40 away
Large jugs will never go out of style!

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
Large jugs will never go out of style!

And they don't seem to get cheap either!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Define cheap. California is still a weird market unto itself. I’d love a nice sxs 12 or 20 ga. At giveaway price. American or British or beligian or Italian I’m not choosy. I’m set in evil black rifles for a while as I bought what I thought I neeeded for the rest of my life and my 9 year olds sons life or until I escape here.

Now back to my regularly scheduled used rack hunts for ruger single actions, smith no lock revolvers, and classic P series sigs. Occasional colt and springer 1911. Also hot on various bolt or semi .22lr. It’s tough finding the above locally

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post