New
Find
Notify
Tools

VW GTI Login/Join 
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
One thing I did NOT like about my GTI, I couldn't lay my clubs cross-wise in the back. I had to lay the seat down to get them in.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1366 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
re the GTI,

test drove one in 2013 when I was looking to replace my first Mini,

drivers edition 4 dr is what I drove, DSG trans,

very very nice car.

I liked the performance, trans was similar to the 6spd auto in my Cooper (auto mode, or flappy paddles, etc etc) and it was very quick,

I only went with another Cooper at that time because the dealer was a bit of a dipshit, as in the sales guy had apparently never heard of a GTI, and the dealers in this area are not really that good,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2016 DSG Autobahn with DCC, up to 21K miles now. It's fantastic to me. My only complaint is that it came with terrible all season tires. The car has too much power for the tires that came with it (I've since fixed that). It's truly the best Golf ever.

Whatever you do just make sure you get the performance package, and the lighting package. Two must have options. The brakes alone are worth getting the performance package. Yes my fuel door says 87 but I've only put 93 octane in it.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIC.45:
One thing I did NOT like about my GTI, I couldn't lay my clubs cross-wise in the back. I had to lay the seat down to get them in.

Rick

No golfing here, but would definitely need to lay the seats down to fit a rifle in the back. All my current rifles fit width-wise under the seat in the F150.

quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
re the GTI,

very very nice car.

I liked the performance, trans was similar to the 6spd auto in my Cooper (auto mode, or flappy paddles, etc etc) and it was very quick,

I only went with another Cooper at that time because the dealer was a bit of a dipshit, as in the sales guy had apparently never heard of a GTI, and the dealers in this area are not really that good,

From the OP, I drove an 8AT Clubman S (need 4 doors & the hardtop 4 door is tight in the back)
I found the Clubman to be much less peppy than the GTI, and there aren't any 6MT Clubman S available locally.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15320 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I bought an 85 gti in 87. That thing was a missile. I called it Jack. Jack B. Nimble...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by RIC.45:

Rick

No golfing here, but would definitely need to lay the seats down to fit a rifle in the back. All my current rifles fit width-wise under the seat in the F150.

quote:
re the GTI,

very very nice car.

From the OP, I drove an 8AT Clubman S (need 4 doors & the hardtop 4 door is tight in the back)
I found the Clubman to be much less peppy than the GTI, and there aren't any 6MT Clubman S available locally.

I've not driven a new Cooper,
I've driven just about everything from 2013 back to 2010 (when I bought my first one, )

the bigger Coopers just do not handle well, and were using the same drivetrain as the smaller models,

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I was a big fan of the 2dr Cooper S & the 3 door Clubman S.
Loved the sound of the 'original' BMW Mini with the supercharged engine & a pulley kit on it.

Posts: 15320 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
If You read the reviews in Car & Driver, R&T, etc...They have continually LOVED the GTI.

The GTI is considered to be the Gold standard in hot hatchbacks.

The fit and finish of the interior is WELL above anything else out there. My 2010 went 44K with zero repairs or replacements other than oil/oil filters.

I traded mine as I flat needed more room, miss it every time I see a GTI.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Loved the sound of the 'original' BMW Mini with the supercharged engine & a pulley kit on it.

+1

missing my S,, fantastic little car,

now this has me thinking about test driving a GTI

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

+1

missing my S,, fantastic little car,

now this has me thinking about test driving a GTI

Careful. I was hard set on the new Mazda 6 GTR, and am now seriously considering a GTI instead.
Definitely more fun to drive, and possibly more economical.

4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I have owned 3 GTI .. and now in a Tiguan R I Loved every GTI I have had, in fact my son bought my last one at the dealership, to get the certified used car deal. It is the most fun car I have ever driven.
I also took it to the APR dealer and got it tuned. It gives it a Lot more low end power, and actually makes better MPG. Great in Snow, great on trips the seats are great.
Stereo, and Blutooth are excellent.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Yup. The GTI would be at the top of my list were I in the market for a small car again. Had a Passat that was rock solid. Conversely, I had a Tourareg that was an electronic mess. But the GTI is money and always has been. Very well thought out car.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dropped the truck off for service and one of the kids that worked there gave me a ride in his TDI. That was a fun ride.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
I'll also add, if you change your own oil - the oil filter was on top of the engine, threads down. I LOVED that!

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1366 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Dropped the truck off for service and one of the kids that worked there gave me a ride in his TDI. That was a fun ride.

I've driven a few 6MT TDI SportWagens & they have a surprising amount of torque, nice hard pull from low RPM.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
White 2017 GTI Autobahn, 16k miles, $21k. I would have test driven this one had it been around when I was looking at Focus STs and RSs. New ones were out of my price range.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
I've got a 2016 DSG Autobahn with DCC, up to 21K miles now. It's fantastic to me. My only complaint is that it came with terrible all season tires. The car has too much power for the tires that came with it (I've since fixed that). It's truly the best Golf ever.

Whatever you do just make sure you get the performance package, and the lighting package. Two must have options. The brakes alone are worth getting the performance package. Yes my fuel door says 87 but I've only put 93 octane in it.

Missed this one earlier. From what I've read the 2018 SE & Autobahn now come with the PP & Golf R brakes, with the Autobahn getting the DCC as well.
If I look at CPOs, I'll definitely make sure to verify that it has those, though.

BTW, love the Rotary wheels on yours.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:

Missed this one earlier. From what I've read the 2018 SE & Autobahn now come with the PP & Golf R brakes, with the Autobahn getting the DCC as well.
If I look at CPOs, I'll definitely make sure to verify that it has those, though.

BTW, love the Rotary wheels on yours.

Those are actually Neuspeed RSE11 18x8 wheels, but very similar to the Rotary look.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

I've driven a few 6MT TDI SportWagens & they have a surprising amount of torque, nice hard pull from low RPM.

Asked the kid "diesel?". "45 miles to a gallon and hang on".

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I drove the RS as well. More power with less torque steer, but rougher ride and worse fuel economy compared to the ST. My goal was to get something that would be cheaper to daily drive than my F350 and more fun. Tires for the RS are about the same price as my F350, but don't last as long. The RS requires premium gas which costs more than diesel which offsets the better mileage it gets vs. the F350. Then there's the $13k price difference over the ST.

The ST checked all the boxes for me.

Wasn't aware the ST was an 87 burner, assumed it required 91/93 as well.
I've not heard great things about the concept of having the RS as a daily driver, mostly from the very stiff ride & seat comfort areas.

They have the reputation of being go-cart like, and not super comfortable. Some people enjoy the fun aspect enough to be able to live with the decreased comfort. It probably wouldn't be my cup of tea.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post