Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VW GTI Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
In my seemingly never ending quest to find a replacement for my F150, I've started looking at the GTI.
Went & drive one last night, with both kids & was surprised at the sufficient back seat room with 2 carseats back there. Even more surprising, is that it seemed to have more rear legroom than the Fusion Sport I drove earlier this year.

Went into it with low expectations, and was really impressed with how it drove. Definitely put it on my shortlist.

Currently, the top of my list is the new 2018 Mazda 6 GTR, really liked how it drove & liked it quite a bit more than the 2018 2.0T Accord. The GTI, while a completely different class of car, is on the list as well now.

Went & took a test drive of a Mini Clubman S, and wasn't all too impressed. With the 8 speed auto, it didn't seem nearly as peppy as the GTI, and they're really hard to find in stock how you want them configured, since there's something like 250k combinations per model with Mini. So it's off the list.

Any current GTI owners? Anything in particular to be aware of? IF we go that route, I'll be trying to make a deal on an Autobahn, for the extra features not included/available on the SE.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I've always loved the GTI.
But while I too have begun the search for the replacement for my F150 (now 19yrs old) I'm saddened by the realization that I need a truck.
Saddened because there are some really interesting vehicles out there .

Oddly enough, I like the little Jeep Renegade Limited & Trailhawk.
My wife & I bought a Honda Fit that we share as a work car.
When it's time to replace it I'm pushing for a GTI !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
My son bought his 1st new car last week - 2018 GTI S..................luvs it

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
No direct experience with the GTI, but I picked up a 2017 Golf TSI with a 1.8 liter turbo. Great little car so far and so much fun to drive. We’ll be handing it to our daughter around December once she’s finished with school and we’ll be picking up the GTI to replace it.

As an aside, we drove Skyline Drive in it today and it’s the best/funnest car I’ve driven on that road.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I am currently on my 5th GTI. My first was an 2009 and have had one every 2-3 years since. I lease so I don’t have hem long term but haven’t had any issues with any of them. VW just went to a a class leading warranty of 6 years bumper to bumper for coverage. I would suggest getting S model as I comes very nicely equipt. The higher trim models aren’t worth the premium for me. Around February the 2017 models here were being discounted. 4 door S models with DSG were selling for $20,000 brand new. There is not other car that is going to give you the performance, interior quality, room, and good looks for that kind of money. There’s a reason why it’s always on every critics top ten list.

This would be my choice right here

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/...08#listing=204559788

A few of the GTI’s I have had

Current model

Make sure you watch til the end

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I am on my second GTI and love it. First one was a 2 door. Then 3 years later, VW brought back the 4-door 1.8T. Traded the 2-door for the 4-door. Lot of leg room in the rear like you said. Also, if you need to haul stuff, you have a huge space in the back for cargo when you fold the rear seat down. I love my GTI.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
On my third GTI. Current one is a 2010. For my purposes, it's pretty much the perfect car. No major probkem.

As far as capacity, I've had myself, my GF, her sister and BIL, their kid (in a child seat), and all the kid accessories in the car at the same time, and everyone was comfortable

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Great performance and econ is not too shabby. You can park them just about anywhere...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I would have looked at the GTI, but Ford was/is discounting the 2017 Focus ST a lot. I bought my ST3, full leather Recaros, for under $27k out the door. More legroom than a Mustang and four doors. I use it to ferry my kids around and keep those miles off my F350. It only comes with a 6 speed manual, but it's fun with 250hp and 270ftlb of torque.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I would have looked at the GTI, but Ford was/is discounting the 2017 Focus ST a lot. I bought my ST3, full leather Recaros, for under $27k out the door. More legroom than a Mustang and four doors. I use it to ferry my kids around and keep those miles off my F350. It only comes with a 6 speed manual, but it's fun with 250hp and 270ftlb of torque.

I'm not opposed to an ST, but the majority on dealer lots here are base or partial Recaro STs.
May have to dig a bit more & give one of those a drive as well.

The Focus RS is getting some decent discounts too, quite a few 2017s still on dealer lots. But, Like the Golf R, still likely out of the budget.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I drove the RS as well. More power with less torque steer, but rougher ride and worse fuel economy compared to the ST. My goal was to get something that would be cheaper to daily drive than my F350 and more fun. Tires for the RS are about the same price as my F350, but don't last as long. The RS requires premium gas which costs more than diesel which offsets the better mileage it gets vs. the F350. Then there's the $13k price difference over the ST.

The ST checked all the boxes for me.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved my GTI but the reason there is so much interior room with a small exterior is there’s no trunk so the rear seats can be moved back. I personally would never put someone I care about in the back seat of a hatchback because their heads are protected by a piece of glass with a landscape full of trucks and SUV’s.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I had a 2011 4 door GTI (6 speed). Absolutely loved that thing. I bought it new and traded it in two years later when we needed an SUV.

I’ll get another one some day.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LH2
posted Hide Post
I'm a big VW fan anyway, but my '16 GTI 2-door is a blast to drive. Feels solid, has great seats, and handles really well.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Arizona | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I am a VW fan as well and I have gotten some great deals in the past few years. I drive a Passat R line and my wife just got an Atlas.

Have you looked at the Passat GT it is a closer comparison to the accord.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I drove the RS as well. More power with less torque steer, but rougher ride and worse fuel economy compared to the ST. My goal was to get something that would be cheaper to daily drive than my F350 and more fun. Tires for the RS are about the same price as my F350, but don't last as long. The RS requires premium gas which costs more than diesel which offsets the better mileage it gets vs. the F350. Then there's the $13k price difference over the ST.

The ST checked all the boxes for me.

Wasn't aware the ST was an 87 burner, assumed it required 91/93 as well.
I've not heard great things about the concept of having the RS as a daily driver, mostly from the very stiff ride & seat comfort areas.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
From 2016 on GTi’s Now run on regular no more premium

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
From 2016 on GTi’s Now run on regular no more premium

I did see that, but also saw that the advertised power numbers are when running 91.
I run 93 in my EcoBoost F150 (recommended when towing for best performance) so the cost/gal isn't a problem for me, and the much better MPG (when you keep your foot out of the turbo) is a bonus.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I loved my GTI but the reason there is so much interior room with a small exterior is there’s no trunk so the rear seats can be moved back. I personally would never put someone I care about in the back seat of a hatchback because their heads are protected by a piece of glass with a landscape full of trucks and SUV’s.

just putting this out there,

my daily driver was a 2013 Mini Cooper S,
until the 19th of last month,

hatchback, 2 door, while as a shorter car it had very little rear leg room, and a very small boot,

I had to stop, or rather slow down quickly for traffic on that morning, as in stomp the brakes to avoid hitting the car infront of me that stomped the brakes,

dude behind me in a GMC full sized pickup (2016) was reaching for his coffee when his airbags went off,, (his words)

I was fortunate enough to see him coming (I always checked my mirror when braking fast in the Cooper, they can stop on a dime) and saw his grill, and put my head back,
and was able to get the car off the road instead of hitting the car in front of me,,

why am I typing all this?

the car did what it was supposed to do,
it folded with out damage to the interior
all the crushed bits were below the seats, and the side panels buckled in front of the rear wheels,
tailgate was toast, obviously, and not able to be opened,
doors opened fine,,
I had no airbag deployment, belts on, and very minor (considering) back pain (muscular, not bone related) that I am still working with (doctors working on that)

dude was running 65mph....

the drivers seat was knocked out of position, (not forward or aft, just the reclining part,)probably from the hit, and the rear seats were still in place, able to be folded,

I'm convinced that had anyone been back there they would have suffered no more than I did

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the firsthand experience.
The vast majority of the time, it's just me in the car. The carseats live in the wife's Flex.
On occasion, like when she's out of town, I'll put the seats in my car, as I prefer driving it to her Flex.

Otherwise, the only typical passengers I have are just my wife if we're out, or a co-worker or two.