SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it just me or have drivers been getting worse and worse
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it just me or have drivers been getting worse and worse Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
over the past 10 years or so?

Or is it I'm becoming more and more aware these past 10 years?

Seems like you see more and more cars/drivers out there:

-can't maintain same speed
-do the limit in the left lane on a highway/interstate and are oblivious to the line of cars piled behind them
-constantly holding a phone to talk/text. Even see people holding a phone to talk when the car is obviously high end enough to have bluetooth
-loose body panels
-swerving
-lack of turn signals
-can't do basic maintenance
-can't drive standard transmission

I was told that driving is privilege. When did it become a right?

Seems any swinging richard can get a license these days. My friends who have been stationed in Germany with the military tell me tales of how expensive and difficult the process is for getting a drive license in Germany. But the result is a much better driver.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
More and more seem entitled to drive however they want.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Distracted driving and self centered people.....

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
no it's not just you.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
It's not just you at all. I feel like I'm at risk of an accident every time I'm behind the wheel because of an idiot not paying attention. It doesn't help that there are fewer patrol cars on the road than there used to be.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Our sheriff cut down on the number if tickets written as to not appear biased against anyone.

It’s down to pretty much school zone violations and DUI.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's cute you think they have licenses. Around here, they're last mode of transportation was likely an ox drawn cart

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I encountered several today. When I go to pass they all had a cell phone in hand

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i moved to SW Florida about two years ago

drivers here are BY FAR the worst I have ever experienced

my theory is a higher than 'average' number of non-US raised / trained drivers

I have been to Central and South America and it reminds me of there where there aren't really traffic rules / laws .... basically traffic suggestions

then of course it rubs off on everyone else

the stuff I have seen the past couple years is crazy

================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

Bingo!

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
One thing to keep in mind is that as the local population increases = more drivers = more bad drivers. And not because the percentage of bad drivers in the population remains the same. Greater traffic volumes increase stress on drivers and stress and frustration results in a tendency for people to behave poorly behind the wheel. That’s not the only reason, of course, but it’s part.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47408 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Oh man, don't get me started. STOP must mean something else these days, and the only time we see a car pulled over for a violation is if there is a warrant. It seems the police are so busy with domestic and accident calls, the idiots are on a free for all of bumper cars.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Loose body panels, can’t do basic maintenance and can’t drive a stick doesn’t make someone a “bad” driver.
Everything else on the list certainly does!
As we’ve seen in other aspects of life, there has been a growth of “I’ma gonna do what I want because F You!” mentality.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
lack of turn signals

In my area, maybe 4 in 10 use their signals.

And then at the last 20 ft.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
And around here the leos are just as bad. Rolling through stop signs, right turn on red (not fully stopping first), ignoring speed limit.
They really fail to set a good example.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen all of the things mentioned more frequently as well as

Hazard lights on while driving in the rain.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
100%. When was the last time someone actually gave you a quick thank you wave for letting them in.

Posts: 3915 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
It is just like everything, the skill set for everything has diminished greatly. That is why there are YouTube videos on how to make a grilled cheese sandwich or shoe tying.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I think as the density increases, the police have a hard time keeping up with the violations. Around here they are only interested in the revenue.

Several weeks ago while making a right turn, I had a driver make a right turn onto a two lane road from a lane the was used for straight ahead. He just about took the side off my truck. I got out to take a picture and realized that my piece was showing so I got back in and drove off.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I was headed down a one-way, one-lane street the other day when a millennial girl turned onto the street going the wrong way headed straight for me. So, there we were - me about 75% of the way down the one-way street headed in the correct direction, and there she was about 25% of the street headed the wrong way when we finally met and stopped. She was driving a Honda Civic, and I was driving my truck filled to the gills with construction materials. We sat there looking at each other through our windshields. She whipped out her cell phone and started recording me.

I got out and walked up to the passenger side of her car and I informed her she was going the wrong way, and she was going to have to back out. She replied, "No - you're going the wrong way, and you're going to have to back out."

On the driver's side of her car was a one-way sign. I said, "Honey, look at the sign" as I pointed to it.

She replied, "Don't call me 'honey' and I don't care what the sign says - I'm not backing out."

She called 9-1-1 with her cell phone, and luckily for me, there was an officer in the area who showed up in less than a minute.

That child was angry, let me tell you! The LEO was calm and patient and he even warned her that if she didn't back her car out of the way he would have to cite her for travelling the wrong way on a one-way street.

Then, she turned on the water works as she confessed she didn't know how to back up. The LEO talked her into letting him move her car.

So, in spite of her profanity towards him and her refusal to move her car and her traffic infraction of driving the wrong direction on a one-way street, she left the scene with no citation.

I highly doubt that ordeal was any kind of a learning experience for her.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post