SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone who owns Bitcoin/cryptocurrency or is thinking about getting some, you need to be aware of this
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone who owns Bitcoin/cryptocurrency or is thinking about getting some, you need to be aware of this Login/Join 
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Next week, someone will want to be the first to purchase at $20,000 simply to be that person. Same happened with oil at $100 bbl a decade ago.
Demand based only on hype isn’t stable.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Dead Eye you are awful defensive about this. I'm 34 and still think it's a bunch of BS. Enjoy the ride. The government will get their hand on it at some point. They may not be able to touch the coins themselves, but will topple the large exchanges leaving a lot of people crying. I'll stick with my silly investments like my 401k and real estate. I guess I'm just old fashioned.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Just make sure there are no regrets, no tears.

Remember the battle cry of investor George Soros, “it takes guts to be a pig.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Dead_eye...thanks for your postings and congratulations on your winnings. When some people do not understand something, they pooh pooh the postings. After a while, you loose respect for these posters.

Some people do not short stocks because they think it is un-American.

Here is a list of 100 cryptocurrencies:

https://coinmarketcap.com/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
When some people do not understand something, they pooh pooh the postings. After a while, you loose respect for these posters.

I understand it just fine, and have asked for somebody to answer this question several times to zero avail:

What, of value, is backing up cryptocurrency?

Every single other investment has something there behind it that has value. Fiat money has government assets. Stocks have business assets. Bank accounts have loans attached to assets. Real estate/precious metals/antiques/art are all physical objects with a demand.

Cryptocurrency is a computer generated "number" for lack of a better description. It may have supply (at the moment), and it may have demand (at the moment), but it all boils down to having nothing of value behind it.

You can't hold it. You can't see it. You can't use it for anything productive.

And for those asking if you can touch $15,000? Sure you can. I know there are members of this forum that have that kind of cash in their pocket as walking around money. Wink

But I'm curious why you have that cash? It's worthless fiat! Why not Bitcoins? Show me the bank bag full of bitcoins!

If I didn't know any better, I would think you're doing the same thing with Bitcoins today that I did with Happy Holiday Barbies back in the 90's.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. We are Neanderthals. Guys here understand plenty.

I literally just read one of the posted links and it talked about EMP proof bunkers to store crypto currency in the event of a world wide event.

Yep, I guess I am just an idiot watching the upswing of a boom/bust. Enjoy the ride.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
In the last day while everyone has been debating whether this is a scam, the value has jumped 50% to nearly $19k.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
In the last day while everyone has been debating whether this is a scam, the value has jumped 50% to nearly $19k.

It's being artificially inflated. What happened to that 60 million in bitcoins that got stolen and the exchange the continued in increase in value despite the loss.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Here come the hedge funds and the prop desks...

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadf...ures-i-know-who-will

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No need to get a buthurt. If you want to invest in bitcoins then invest in bitcoins. I wish anyone that does well, and hope they make shittons of money. You can invest in bitcoin, you can play black jack in Vegas, you can sell Amway, everyone has to option to do what they like.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Today is a blow-off top.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody is butthurt. What you are witnessing is people pushing back against the ridiculous idea that this isn't a ridiculous bubble. 19k?

Look at any bubble in the market and convince us this isn't going to drop dramatically.

People make money in scenario's like this all the time. People also get got holding empty bags in scenario's like this all the time. If you think you are the former, great. Just make sure you aren't the latter.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where? According to the charts on cryptowat.ch, the all time high reached this morning was $15,700.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Connoisseur of
Fine Firearms
Picture of lbaker45
posted Hide Post
It reached $19,000 in Hong Kong.

Posts: 1926 | Location: Midwest | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbaker45:
It reached $19,000 in Hong Kong.

Totally legit! HK is the center for a stable market.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Nothing will bring out know it all investors like Bitcoin. I called Dead Eye out a couple weeks ago and he couldn't answer the questions posed to him then either.

These internet educated investment savants as they view themselves are easy to spot. They're the guys who didn't use terms like "fiat" 12 months ago, but since they've read it in several internet articles about Bitcoin they now toss it around like it's been in their lexicon since birth. they also speak of these foreign exchanges and literally know nothing about them except what an article told them. They use terms like store of wealth without really understanding what that is/means. they also will almost invariably say that banks don't admit it's real because they are scared of it. That one always makes me chuckle.

Most of these folks have something else in common, they're relatively new to investing and haven't seen a major "get rich quick" scheme yet in their life. That flame hasn't burned them yet, so they haven't acquired a healthy bit of skepticism for such things.

I would suggest y'all recognize these types for what they are. They are folks who've read internet articles, have no formal training or experience in the subject matter, but then speak authoritatively on investing. Grain. Of. Salt.

If I recall correctly Jallen is a financial/wealth manager? do I have that right Jallen? He's a pro. ever heard him say "fiat" in this board? Nope.

Look, only someone who has bought the pump and dump scheme hook line and sinker would refer to Bitcoin as a "store of value." Stores of value are stable and backed. Bitcoin is neither of those. Heck, for all we know if could be gone in 5 years...or it could be the new world currency. We really don't know. All we can do is look at financial models and try to make smart decisions. But trust me, immediately tune out anyone who says bitcoin is a store of value.

Bitcoin isn't hard to figure out if you've been swimming in these waters for more than a few years. It has massive potential for growth. massive. It could also dry up and be gone forever while you're brushing your teeth.

Treat it as such. Don't be fooled as to what it is and is not. To some degree it's a game right now. Have at it, make some money, just don't do anything you can't afford to laugh off. I wouldn't say avoid it, you can really make some money. Don't buy the hype, but don't buy the speculation either. Use this time to try and gain a little is my advice.

If you've invested long enough, you've seen schemes come and go. Some you get out of in time and laugh all the way to the bank. Others you're the schmuck holding the bag when the music stops. That's Bitcoin. Could it evolve into more in the future? Sure it could. people who say it IS the future are delusional about the hurdles it has to overcome first.

Have fun, make some cash, just don't pretend it's not shark infested, intentionally manipulated waters.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:

Have fun, make some cash, just don't pretend it's not shark infested, intentionally manipulated waters.

That's fair enough.

Again I recommend you mine it and not buy it with cashola, if interested. If you do it right the hardware holds its value to gamers in the event of a market crash, leading to a little less risk.

It IS a fun sideshow to keep an eye on.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:

That's fair enough.

Again I recommend you mine it and not buy it with cashola, if interested. If you do it right the hardware holds it's value to gamers in the event of a market crash, leading to a little less risk.

It IS a fun sideshow to watch and keep an eye on.

I would love to learn more about mining it. I know nothing about how that works. It might be kind of fun to do just for giggles.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:

That's fair enough.

Again I recommend you mine it and not buy it with cashola, if interested. If you do it right the hardware holds it's value to gamers in the event of a market crash, leading to a little less risk.

It IS a fun sideshow to watch and keep an eye on.

I would love to learn more about mining it. I know nothing about how that works. It might be kind of fun to do just for giggles.

Ditto, as in I'd like to know more too.
I'm not fluent in these matters, but it seems to me that mining is the thing to do if possible.
Sort of like buying a decent metal detector and trying your luck with gold spotting. Fun, pass time, maybe get lucky, and not much loss if not.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Cool reference for what is worth your time to mine.

https://whattomine.com/

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE