SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife wants to learn how to type
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife wants to learn how to type Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
I took it in high school so I've been typing for many years.

She never took it. She took an online test a couple times today and it estimated she was "typing" between 23-25 WPM. Not sure how legit the test was but I gave it a go a couple times and came out to 75-80 WPM.

Is Mavis Beacon still a good option? I see you can get the program for a low price online.

When I learned, it was actually our business teacher/drivers ed teacher who taught us. He constantly walked around the room talking about the home row...

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This is offered online through our local college:

http://cs.valenciacollege.edu/...0-5356704.1553306790

Any thought on this?

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taking a class in person is preferable. Provides motivation and help if needed. Of course you will have to practice alot at home. Teachers can spontaneously correct mistakes.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This may sound a bit insane, but after she's taken a class and practiced enough to have a decent understanding where the keys are on the keyboard, buy her a cheap mechanical keyboard and swap out all the key caps for blank ones. You can only get really good at touch typing when you remove the training wheels (i.e. the white lettering on the key caps). I even go back to using a DAS keyboard I have every once in a while that's totally blank. When I type with it for a little while I can actually type while watching TV or talking to someone without ever looking down at the keyboard. That's when you can really pick up speed.

And your 75-80 words a minute is a good target to shoot for. Few people type faster than that without increasing their number of mistakes.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Is the goal learning to type on a computer keyboard (likely) or on a mechanical keyboard? There would be a huge difference.

What I’m hearing you say is you tried with something online (computer keyboard) and she managed 20-ish words per minute. That sounds like she’s relatively familiar with the keyboard layout. If that’s the case what she needs is practice, lots of it. Get out a magazine/book/etc and have at it. What I remember of Mavis Bacon and such is they just teach the keyboard layout and give you practice, nothing more.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Is the goal learning to type on a computer keyboard (likely) or on a mechanical keyboard? There would be a huge difference.

In current lingo, a "mechanical keyboard" is a computer keyboard that uses mechanical switches for the keys rather than membrane switches (which most laptop keyboards and inexpensive keyboards use).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

In current lingo, a "mechanical keyboard" is a computer keyboard that uses mechanical switches for the keys rather than membrane switches (which most laptop keyboards and inexpensive keyboards use).

I think he meant a typewriter keyboard, though I'd be surprised to find anyone using a typewriter anymore.

I took my typing course in 9th grade; however, my grandmother taught me the rudimentaries the summer before. Maybe the OP could sit with his wife and teach her himself.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Once you learn the basics, the best way for me to learn and get faster was online interaction - forums, online games, etc.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"

My mom was a secretary at Prudential just after she graduated high school. Boy she could type! When I was in high school she tried to teach me so I could type my own reports and made me type that line over and over. Good memories. Smile

And I still can't type lol.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I learned with Mavis Beacon about 20 years ago. It came with Windows back then IIRC, but I haven't seen it lately in the Office package. I devoted 1 hour per night for a month and became proficient enough and progressed over the years.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

I think he meant a typewriter keyboard, though I'd be surprised to find anyone using a typewriter anymore.

I took my typing course in 9th grade; however, my grandmother taught me the rudimentaries the summer before. Maybe the OP could sit with his wife and teach her himself.

Bigdeal posted "buy her a cheap mechanical keyboard and swap out all the key caps for blank ones" and then in the next post jbcummings asked whether the goal was to learn to type on a computer keyboard or a mechanical keyboard.

I figured jbcummings thought "mechanical keyboard" meant a non-electric typewriter and was explaining that a "mechanical keyboard" is a specific type of computer keyboard.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I learned in the military. They put you in a room with no windows and you type page after page. (At least these were old IBM non-correcting electrics and not manual typewriters-).

Every hour there was a speed test drill. When you topped 30wpm you could leave the room... (however many days it took). I can probably still do 85 wpm on a decent keyboard.

My kids learned with the Spongebob Squarepants Typing program. Worked great- they can both type well over 40 wpm these days.
I have heard it seems to help if you can already play a piano or keyboard- (Home position understanding and the like).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Do whatever it takes. I'd say typing class was one of the most beneficial classes I took in college. It'll serve her the rest of her life!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I remember taking typing in high school and thinking it was a waste of time. I cannot imagine living in this age of computers, texting, etc and not knowing how to type. It would be a handicap for sure. One finger at a time is so slow.

Kudos to your wife for wanting to learn something new later in life. Have you checked into adult education classes? There's probably more people than one realizes who are in the same position.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
took typing in high school,
first 1/2 of the year we learned that if you put a penny on the H inside the machine, then hit the H, it would toss the penny across the room,,

then after that we go selectrics,, no more fun,

asdf jkl;, then slowly learned the rest of the letters,

didn't do well in that class, and did not really learn to type till we got emails at work, then everyone wanted a reply so I had to reteach myself

I type with all fingers and one thumb,,

drives me nuts to see the guys using 2 finger on each had,,

of course, the backspace key is my friend,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I agree with those who have posted that after you have learned the key positions and finger motions, it basically just comes down to practice. Specifically, practice where you aren't looking at the keyboard and are typing as fast as you can without making too many mistakes.

I can type 100-110 WPM. I learned the basics in a typing class in elementary school. The speed I mostly attribute to years of being a huge nerd and spending an obscene amount of time playing text-based online multiplayer games from middle school to college. When you have to keep your eyes glued to the screen to keep up with the text scrolling by telling you what is happening in the world and have to type out phrases describing everything you want your character to do (and also anything you want to say to anyone else playing the game), you learn to type fast without looking at the screen.