SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well maybe not Fixed! Stumped by the pellet stove.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well maybe not Fixed! Stumped by the pellet stove. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Well, I am at my wits end with this sum bitch.

Auger quit a few weeks ago. Have gone through the trouble shooting process best I know how.

vacuum switch, snap switches, replaced the thermal couple, replaced the control box. Still no auger power. After all that. Figured well, it must be the auger motor. Replaced it. Still nothing. So I have replaced all the major components to the tune of $500 and it has accomplished nothing.

Yes, the fuse was checked Razz and no I really do not have a service company that can run out and fix.

The unit is six years old.

Any idea's.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Can you turn it by hand? If it's jammed the small motor may not have enough umph to turn it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I had to completely remove the entire auger to replace the motor. The auger tube was completely empty. I am down to a wiring problem of some sort.
But nothing has been messed with other than what I mentioned above. Not messed with anything in the wiring harness.

I must be missing something simple, i dunno?

Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I’d start looking to verify continuity in every wire from where it starts, to the end of the harness/pin/terminal where the wire terminates. I’ve found quite a number of electronic devices were incapacitated by a burnt connection between pin and wire, usually located in a plug somewhere. Do you know how to use a volt meter in this fashion?

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Please provide some "how to" on it. I have used one but it has been years ago.

Thank you.

posted Hide Post
Have a wiring diagram?

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Have you verified that there is power to the unit? Maybe a breaker or GFI on that branch is tripped. If it is on a plug try plugging in a lamp to the outlet.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
Call Jason Munson at 530.409.5051.
His web page is https://www.pelletstovepro.net/ and he has a lot of you tube videos.
He's helped me figure out ours when it has a problem.

Posts: 591 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you just check the fuse or replace it? I've had fuses that were bad but looked good.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do pellet stoves have safety interlocks on the auger motor for feed problems?

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Do you have technical drawings for it?
If not what is the make/model?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I do appreciate it. Yes it has power. Everything seem's to function except the auger. Which is the head scratcher.

It is a heatilator CAB50 make and model.

I do have the manual. I will look at it closer for a wiring diagram. If there is one am i looking for the auger and tracing the wiring for it.

One wire goers to one of the safety snap switches. Which was my first thought. It appeared fine, but bypassed it and still nothing. The other wire goes into a sealed box that is underneath the control box.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They have an extensive trouble shooting manual here:

http://downloads.hearthnhome.c...onsumer_serv_man.pdf

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thank you 41, I did not have that. I appreciate the link very much.

posted Hide Post
Hopper switch.

Since you already checked the pressure switch, snap disc and replaced the motor, this is the only thing left in the auger motor circuit.

You could bypass all three for a quick check to see if it will operate.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Yep, I just did, everything is working except the auger will not feed? I can see a tiny shaft on the top of the motor spinning. I am stumpafied?

The auger is supposed to cycle every seven seconds. But does not?

posted Hide Post
Was the motor spinning prior to jumping the controls?

Sounds like it was and you have a broken mechanical connection to the auger. Broken coupler, gear, etc. Or simply a worn out shaft end?

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
As an aside that's what kept happening to my Jamestown J3000A. The auger quit. Got expensive to have repaired (drive board, motor, switch, arm, etc.). Seems they replaced everything with the two repairs but when it quit for the 3rd time I said enough! And besides, I physically got to the point where humping 50 lb bags of pellets down stairs to the stove was a "non-starter." So the stove still sits on the flagstone platform unused. Moved on to other options for heat.

That's the owners manual and VCR tape behind the fire pot chamber door. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Yep, I just did, everything is working except the auger will not feed? I can see a tiny shaft on the top of the motor spinning. I am stumpafied?

The auger is supposed to cycle every seven seconds. But does not?

Its a gear motor....sounds like either the gaer striped or a connection sheared. Does the motor shaft spin in time with cycling??

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was the motor spinning prior to jumping the controls?

Sounds like it was and you have a broken mechanical connection to the auger. Broken coupler, gear, etc. Or simply a worn out shaft end?

Hmmmm. you and sgal are on to something possibly Excam man.

The answer is yes. To your question. The tiny shaft looking at the back (opposite end of the shaft end of the motor) it is turning.