SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well maybe not Fixed! Stumped by the pellet stove.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well maybe not Fixed! Stumped by the pellet stove. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
So you threw $500 at this pellet furnace without even knowing how to use a multimeter, rather than calling a professional to begin with??? Priceless.

If the shaft is turning, but the auger or whatever it is connected to is not. It's stripped....either a gear or something similar.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Coming for you Jimmy. "golden" Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F0RrRjMo54
"How to know if your auger motor is bad"

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'One must know how to use a voltmeter to diagnose a mechanical failure.'

I was under the impression they were used to diagnose electrical issues.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
ok guys, got it. Don't asked to detail the fix eactly. Cause I really don't know Smile

It was the motor. It was so quiet I was listening for the same noise and sound as the previous one. We would hear a click and then you could here the auger motor turn.

The new one is so quiet when I initiated a start I would only let it run maybe 10 seconds and turn it off because I could not hear it and knew it was not running Razz
all the while it was cycling pellets up the auger tube. a little while ago I figured I might as well pull the auger to look at were the shaft was broke or damaged or a bearing was worn. When pulled it the tube was full of pellets, what? It was working. Put it all back togother. Put just enough pellets into the hopper as to be able to see the auger and wala. It moved. It was working. No we have a nice hot fire going and she is back together.
Praise Jesus! And thank you guys for all the thoughts, suggestions, advice, encouragment, etc. Excam Man. In my book your are, indeed our resident HVAC and pellet stove guy!
Again, thank you all.

I am not mister mechanical but aint to old to try and living in the toolies leaves few options. Again, thanks all and to all a good night. A warm good night.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
'One must know how to use a voltmeter to diagnose a mechanical failure.'

I was under the impression they were used to diagnose electrical issues.

They are. All of the parts he changed were electrical! Verifying power to the auger motor would then lead someone to look further at the auger.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I am not mister mechanical but aint to old to try and living in the toolies leaves few options.

It's nice that you worked on your own equipment. Now you now more about it and that might keep you warm in the future when it's nasty cold outside.

Glad to help and happy to hear the outcome.

Stay warm my friend. Smile

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Save the old parts until you find the bad one. The others might be useful in the future.

Been there, done that.

Glad you have heat.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stay warm my friend.

Thanks Brother!

Will do Chris.

Wink

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I owned a pellet stove and it was really good, the the price of pellet started going up! At damn near $5 bag it's cheaper to run the furnace.
My current house has a gas fireplace and I would be hard pressed to go any other way anymore...If the power goes out the gas still works, not the case with a pellet stove.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8339 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
[ Big Grin QUOTE]Originally posted by downtownv:
I owned a pellet stove and it was really good, the the price of pellet started going up! At damn near $5 bag it's cheaper to run the furnace.
My current house has a gas fireplace and I would be hard pressed to go any other way anymore...If the power goes out the gas still works, not the case with a pellet stove.[/QUOTE]

My power is out right now, gas fireplace is the only source of heat. It's 40 degrees here in Austin today which is like 40 below for you northern guys Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
enjoyed reading the thread & efforts to resolve 'the problem'...

Not that I've....uhhh....'had friends'.....who occasionally would struggle to fix something until it actually WAS broken....*kaff*kaff*.....

This brings up 2 essential related issues I currently am trying to resolve:

1) cost of the pellets;
2) power outage/auger running.

I've lived with wood stoves as exclusive heat source since 1973. Fire wood has gone up considerably since then, somewhat reducing the impact of #1 concern. Have home generator as well, for those inevitable episodes every year (not just winter) when such is a wise precaution.

Question for OP: can you give some observations on when/why and how satisfactory the change to pellet stove has been in your circumstance.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
YAY! Heat!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Get in line. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Get in line. Big Grin

Congrats Jimmy, you made the list!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1124 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Signewt, Thanks for your post and question.

We had a pellet stove in a house we built in the early 1990's. It was a well built two story house (1800sq ft). The stove was an Avolon which at that time was a very good stove. It was installed on the bottom level and heated the entire house on a low setting. It was our primary heating source. We also had electric (Cadet type) wall heaters but almost never used. That stove function flawlessly for the 10 plus years we owned the house. The only thing I did was replace a blower motor on it. On a scale of 0-10 that set up was 9.9. It was that good. We burned quality fuel and did all the maintenance as spelled out. Oiled the motors, kept the stove clean, etc.

We have been in our current house for about 14 years. Most of those have been with a pellet stove as our primary heat source as well. We also have electric wall heaters and have a free standing propane stove. Both as back up and almost never use either.
This house is not nearly as well built as the previous one. Does not heat as well. But our pellet stove keeps it comfortable. In extreme cold weather we augment heat with one of the other sources. But it is pretty uncommon.

I have a wood stove in my shop just like I did previously. I generally keep it going all winter. So I do cut firewood. But pellets are a good compromise to a woodstove in the house. you can back up to it and get warm like a woodstove when coming in from frigid temps outside. Which is mandatory for me.

Pellet stoves are not for everyone. You need to be diligent in maintenance. If that is not your thing do not go down that road. I had one in a rental the old couple could not make it work. I finally had to jerk it out of there. They are a bit on the noisy because of the fans and motors. Has never bothered me.
You do have to deal with the fuel. Which is a bit of a physical challenge.

At least once a leek you need to vacuum them out, empty the ash pan and inspect. Every ton of pellets burned you need to take it down and do a more thorough cleaning. It is pretty basic, but it does need to be done or you will have problems.
We burn between 2 and three tons of fuel a winter. Closer to three than two. $200 a ton for quality fuel. so $600 a year in fuel. Not counting elect. to run the stove. We use it seven to eight months a year.

People say the power issue is the biggest draw back. We have always lived in rural area's and do have an ocassional power outage but it has only been one time where the power was out for an extended period due to a winter snow and wind storm so has never been and issue.

In conclusion I am a big fan. They have worked for us very well.

I have a few structure with wood stoves and they are my favorite but pellet stoves as I said are a great compromise.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
thanks for the tips ORC, appreciate your report.

I'll be doing some cost evaluation PLUS the new stove prices, over the next few seasons. With a 'new style certified' catalytic converter for additional burn of the wood-smoke plume we get quite decent economy of fuel. Still, hauling/stacking/managing the 3-5 cords needed each year now that geezers have taken up retirement residence in the casa, becomes ever more of a physical challenge & less of mere outright pleasurable exercise.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
After a good 40 hours of running without a hiccup. I had to run to town. Wife and I got home about the same time in different rigs. I am working outside heading for the front porch. She comes out, obviously upset and say's "the stove is not working". Now she has been very understanding over the last couple weeks while dealing with this stove problem. I knew this was about as much of this stove not working thing as she could take.

I reassured her we could figure out the right answer to bring this to a conclusion.

So back to the stove. I looked at the auger motor and see it has puucked a little grease out the back where the shaft is. Figure that is not good for a sealed motor? Possible I got a bad chinese motor. Any thoughts guys. I am going to pull out the entire auger unit after lunch.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
It's a good possibility, the quality on a lot of replacement parts is crap these days. Check for voltage at the motor. It could also be that the Augur is binding and putting too much of a strain on the motor. Does the augur have bearings that could be bad?