SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Local VA folks, Wife's RS was rear ended. Many more photos on page 2.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local VA folks, Wife's RS was rear ended. Many more photos on page 2. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
Don't forget the diminished value due to the accident!

Yup. If accident info goes onto Carfax, trade in/sales value drops "IF" interested parties check vin # history thru Carfax.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scurvy besides the photos have you seen the car?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Scurvy besides the photos have you seen the car?

Nope, I'm going by the photos only. I do this for a living so I'm pretty confident unless the photos missed something.

Estimate should be something like:

New hatch.
New bumper cover and diffuser if they are separate.
Probably a new absorber, maybe a new rebar.
New tail pipes, possibly new muffler depending on how it's put together.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
That sucks. I hope your wife is OK.

I was driving, wife in the back motger up front.

Wow, I hope all three of you are ok.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thankfully just sore, my ankles and wrists the worse off for the adventure. We will see how mom does. She has severe arthritus. Wifes wrist and neck were pretty sore last night.

Thanks all i have a plan, i will be on the road today, at my doc tomorrow, first they can get us in. Then i hope to get it up on the neighbors 2 post lift, get my own photos of the damage. Talk to an attorney, and start the process from there.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sorry this happened, no advise, just some good thoughts and prayers for your all three of you.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Burleigh's Auto Body on 2211 Tazewell in Richmond. Body and paint work is an art, and these guys are artists. Visit the shop and take a look for yourself. They have had a great reputation for as long as I can remember and work on some of the nicest and most expensive vehicles on the road for a reason. When I went to pick up my Tundra after someone crushed the side of the box, they were working on several Porsches, Mercedes, BMW's, Land Rovers, and even a Bentley. They fought the other guy's insurance company on my behalf to make sure the entire panel got replaced. The work on my Tundra was outstanding as usual and they went the extra mile by buffing the entire side of my truck to insure the repair blended well. My truck had over 300K at the time, it would have been easy to say, "that's good enough", but that's not how they are wired.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
-NM, I didn't see your exchange with Marzy.

I remember quite a few years ago when I got into a wreck in N. Va. Guy turned left in front of me and then stopped when he saw me.

I called the cops and they wouldn't come take a report.

Fortunately, for me, the people didn't want to go through insurance and just paid me the estimate.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
That’s a crying shame. I recall the thread showing off your wife’s car and the tour you took with it. Hope she’s OK. Damage doesn’t appear to be too severe, here’s hoping it can be fully restored to new condition.

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
I learned long ago let the attorney deal with the insurance, and the repair shops. You get better service and only have to fill things out once.

From my experience, attorneys offices hate dealing with the property damage side because there's no money in it. It would probably be easier doing that yourself rather than using the attorney's paralegal as a middleman. It's an easy enough process.

quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
Don't forget the diminished value due to the accident!

Just be careful who you get the DV appraisal from. There are A LOT of basically scam artists on the web, and one even in Richmond... who will promise you the world (upwards of 30% of the value of the vehicle) in exchange of their very very pricey appraisal. They'll regale you with tales about taking on the insurance company and winning all that money. Their goal is to get you to pay them a ton of money for the appraisal, not to actually get you a fair settlement.

Reed Appraisers is the best I've ever seen at it. He uses real world sales figured to determine it instead of a formula or in some cases, literally pulling numbers out of thin air based on a unscientific poll someone did once...
Reed doesn't care who hires him, he works for and against insurance companies and everyone respects him and his method.

To be frank though, I don't think the DV claim will be that big, probably a couple grand at most. The damage isn't bad and there's an assumption these cars are raced and beat on and crashed. A relatively minor rear end accident isn't going to affect the value a whole bunch, especially with no structural damage or repaired panels, just straight replacement.

If the vehicle was never driven except to cars and coffee and was intended to be kept as a future collectible with super low miles, then the DV would probably be higher.

Wise words.

Part of my job is handling DV. From looking at the photos I doubt the DV would even reach a couple grand, maybe a couple hundred if that. Unless there is underlying frame damage which I doubt. I can run a rough calculation for you once you have an estimate.

Posts: 6348 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Photos of the damage i could find on the car.

Rear muffler hanger and shield.

Rear hatch bottom frame:

You can see how far the damage to the rear hatch protrudes into the rear cargo area.

Rear bumper under the bumper cover.

Some of the seams were split.

Passenger seam is okay.

Driver Seam not so much.

Lower A-arm bushing and support, passenger side.

Lower A-arm bushing and support driver side. Some what hard to see, but it is out of wack up and down as well as slightly side to side.

Same driver side bushing from the out side, tilted way out of wack.

Same passenger side bushing, from the outside.

Passenger vs driver side. Here you can see the lower spring cup holding the spring at a backwards angle on the passenger side. The driver side is lower, and rotated level vs the backward angle. this moved the wheel forward into the wheel well.

passenger side

driver side

Another muffler hanger and heat shield damage.

Right passenger side fender to rear frame.

Driver side is showing a few bends and splits. along with damaging the inner fender liners.

Another seam split drivers side.

Passenger side

So the next biggest thing is the drive line. It is now a very slight > and it has hit and damaged the heat shield.
Drive line from the transmission to the center coupling.

Transmission to the center driveline unit. You can see it is popped out of its bracket and damaged the shielding. and the exhaust hanger is off and tweeked. This is where it picks up part of the > bend.

Here you can see the angle the drive line is taking. It is not as extreme as it looks, but it is there.

The damage to the passenger rear under carrige, heat shields, exhaust hangers, and bumper shocks.

SLight bend/warp to the suspension hanger and damage to the muffler on the drivers side.

Center Bumper damage, shield damage and center frame damage.

Drivers side bumper shock, bumper frame mount, hangers shielding and muffler damage.

posted Hide Post
Good luck...

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Sad to see a fellow RS go that way. My best to you and your wife’s recovery.

A trick with auto body repair. Find the local Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini dealerships...ask them who they use for auto body repair. Call or go by each high end mfr. When two tell you the same independent auto body shop, you’ll know who to take it to. Don’t take it to the Ford dealership for repair.

Nitrous Blue is a more difficult paint to match than most. Do your homework. Best of luck.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
It is always interesting to see how differently things work in different places.
I get in a wreck, I take my car where I want it to be fixed, I pay $100. My car gets fixed. Insurance battles with the other insuarance, I get my $100 back. If it was my fault bye bye $100, ohh well stuff happens.

No need for an attorney just a Benjamin Franklin up front. I took it to the place I know does nothing but high quality work, OEM parts, guaranteed for life.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Black that's the way it is in Virginia also.

To the OP I agree finding out who repairs Porsche's and other high end cars is your best bet.

In Roanoke, VA I can highly reccomend Eurospecialties but it may be too far for you to consider.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Your page 2 photos don’t show. Facebook the group cars and coffee Richmond and ask that group for recommendation. Based on photo caption I doubt you will be satisfied as car may never be same. Fix sell rebuy?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5052 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
How fast was he going when he hit you? By your explanation of the damage (pics don't show) I'd never drive that car. Imagine if he hit you going 30mph...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
How fast was he going when he hit you? By your explanation of the damage (pics don't show) I'd never drive that car. Imagine if he hit you going 30mph...

Slower i would think. The downward left angle is what has me worried. Where the suspension attaches to the frame looks great. The suspension on the driver side is just a hair off kilter. It is very evident inperson. Not a lot but enough to be seen. The car does not track right, there is an oddness to the rear end as you move it about.

The whole rear suspension can just drop away.

Thanks for the heads up. Washington state was vastly different as far as repaira go.

posted Hide Post
The car didn’t seem to hold up very good for a minor hit. Maybe not having a trunk to take some of the hit while keeping the damage away from the suspension?

Posts: 3914 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again, I think the combo of the angle and heavy braking is what caused this issue. The suspension and drive shaft may simply need new to have the bolts to the frame. The rear driver door seam is uneven also. where as the other 3 are exactly the same on all 3 and equal distance through out the length.