SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pope Francis shuns bullet-proof vehicle for visit to Cairo despite recent terrorist attacks
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pope Francis shuns bullet-proof vehicle for visit to Cairo despite recent terrorist attacks Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
To this "community organizer", I say mazel tov, bitch.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
As a Catholic the Pope is out of touch with reality, he believes the lunacy he spouts and if that is the case, decline the protection your Holiness. Commence the College of Cardinals this guy is a deadman walking.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
I admit I have only read a VERY SMALL portion of the bible, and only when required when I was in school.

There is a section that says ,I believe, if you own two cloaks, sell one and buy a sword.

To me that means you are supposed to protect yourself from people who mean to harm or kill you.

it doesn't mean what you think it means, though many people like to interpret it as you have.
Please. Enlighten us.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
quote:
I admit I have only read a VERY SMALL portion of the bible, and only when required when I was in school.

There is a section that says ,I believe, if you own two cloaks, sell one and buy a sword.

To me that means you are supposed to protect yourself from people who mean to harm or kill you.

it doesn't mean what you think it means, though many people like to interpret it as you have.
Please. Enlighten us.

flashguy

I think it means a modern weapon ought to cost about what a cloak costs. So I should be able to buy a select fire M4 for around 100.00 Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
The Pope is tempting fate. I suspect I know why.

Why, darth?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
The Pope is tempting fate. I suspect I know why.

Why, darth?

Pure speculation on my part. He's a Leftist. To Leftists, ideology and proving its validity eclipses all other concerns even self preservation. He's proving a point. Perhaps that there are no terrorists left in the region or the if one acquiesces to Islam then he is safe to move about the cabin in one piece. The list of propaganda possibilities is endless. Ultimately, he's proving a point for the sake of Leftism. I have little faith he acts more for God than Leftism.

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Please. Enlighten us.

flashguy

I think it means a modern weapon ought to cost about what a cloak costs. So I should be able to buy a select fire M4 for around 100.00 Big Grin

TESTIFY!!! AMEN Brutha!!!

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have little faith he acts more for God than Leftism.

Ya, I agree.
I didn't like him from the moment the white smoke went up and he was announced.
Going with my gut here, but something was fishy about the selection.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ya, but for 30 pieces of silver you can have someone do the dirty work for you... Wink

-rduckwor

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Ya, but for 30 pieces of silver you can have someone do the dirty work for you... Wink

lol Never been shy of dirty jobs especially when the tools are fun. Big Grin

To the Pope, I have mostly respected those I've witnessed in my life time as men who worked for the benefit of God's purposes for man. I still believe if there is anything wrong with the Church or Christianity generally, it is that man is flawed rather than the institution. As such I have admired that these people have sacrificed much to further the cause of righteousness. But this Pope....this one gives me a bad feeling. Something's rotten in Denmark. I am convinced he is working for the other team while wearing our uniform....as it were.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Please. Enlighten us.

flashguy

it's kind of off-topic, but if the OP and Para don't mind.

You have to look at the context. In the very next verse after the infamous "sell your cloak and buy one," Jesus quotes a prophecy from Isaiah (chapter 53 verse 12) that he (Jesus) would be numbered with the transgressors. The Hebrew word used for transgressors also means rebels and many extrapolate that to "criminals."

We know that Simon Peter actually lashed out with his sword and Jesus rebuked him for it, then healed the ear of Malchus. So it is reasonable to believe that Jesus did not actually want his disciples to defend him with violence. (And in fact, they only had 2 swords between the 12 of them and Jesus said that was enough.) Therefore, the reason he told them to get a sword, if they didn't already have one, was simply to fulfill the prophecy that Jesus would be apprehended amongst other rebels/criminals.

People will further try to discern the meaning of the passage and I certainly don't claim to be the only holder of its truth. That is what I believe, though. I definitely don't think it means anything in regards to us making sure we are armed, though I do not see anything in Jesus' teaching that tells us not to, either (that should be obvious.)

Furthermore, I think Pope Francis is a joke.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Commie Pope falsely believes he is a man of the people because of his days in communist leaning South America. He is about to find out that the Muslim world doesn't give a flying fuck about communism or Commie Pope.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Didn't JFK try something similar a while back?
Getting killed doing something stupid did wonders for JFK's reputation. Maybe the Pope thinks it will work for him too.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't JFK try something similar a while back?

LOL... He did it all his life... but Kennedy grew up thinking everyone loved him and that he was "untouchable".

Kennedy’s love for convertibles made him an easy target

Why would they let an American president ride through crowded streets in an open car? The question occurs to everyone at some point, and the answer is simple: John F. Kennedy wouldn’t have it any other way.

Mr. Kennedy loved riding with the top down. He did it all his adult life, sometimes even in the rain, and when he became president saw no reason to end his wind-swept affair with the convertible.
Multimedia
The art of JFK: 10 works to remember

In 1937, after his first year at Harvard, he and a pal trekked through Europe in a Ford convertible Mr. Kennedy shipped over from the U.S.

When he briefly attended Stanford University in 1940, he drove around Palo Alto in a cactus green Buick convertible with red seats.

The bold colours may be significant: He loved the feel of top-down driving, but he also enjoyed being seen. In 1947, after winning a seat in the House of Representatives, he commuted from Capitol Hill to his house in Georgetown in a convertible, and continued to do so as a senator.

Broadcaster Larry King, while driving in Miami in 1958, lightly rear-ended an open car, and Mr. Kennedy jumped out of it. As Mr. King writes in his memoir My Remarkable Journey, the senator offered to waive any insurance hassle if Mr. King and his passengers promised to vote for him “in two years.”

In 1960, shortly after winning the Democratic presidential nomination, Mr. Kennedy attended a celebratory dinner at publisher Katherine Graham’s house in Washington D.C. “What still amazes me,” Ms. Graham recalled in her memoir Personal History, “is that Kennedy drove up our circular driveway alone, in a convertible with the top down.”

Even as president, Mr. Kennedy believed security and comfort should take a back seat to the political value of being seen by the people.

In Paris in 1961, he was determined to ride top-down along the Champs-Elysées with French president Charles de Gaulle, even though it was pouring rain.

“‘Let’s take the open car,’ Kennedy said, and de Gaulle ordered the top of the convertible Citroën limousine taken down,” writes Richard Reeves in President Kennedy: Profile of Power. “Kennedy was stripping off his raincoat; de Gaulle immediately did the same. The two presidents, soaking wet within moments, waved and smiled as their open car turned into a long alley of black umbrellas and cheering men and women.”

During a European visit in 1963, Mr. Kennedy rode in open cars through crowded city streets in Italy, Germany and Ireland. As Irish president Eamon de Valera saw Mr. Kennedy stand up in his limo to wave to crowds during a long parade in Dublin, he thought “what an easy target he would have been,” according to Larry J. Sabato’s The Kennedy Half-Century.

In the weeks leading up to Dallas, the president rode in an open limousine through Nashville and Tampa, in spite of at least two death threats against him, and did not want Secret Service agents standing on external footpads at the rear and sides of his car. “The whole point is for me to be accessible to the people,” he told one agent before the start of a 30-mile motorcade into downtown Tampa, according to Gerald Blaine’s The Kennedy Detail.

Mr. Kennedy’s limo for those trips, and for Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963, was an unarmoured stretch Lincoln Continental with a detachable bubble-top that was seldom used and not bullet-proof.

Surprisingly, the car stayed in presidential service after Kennedy was killed. Reinforced with titanium, bullet-proof glass and a non-removable top, the repainted car carried Lyndon Johnson to his inauguration in 1964 and remained in the presidential fleet till 1977.

Mr. Kennedy wasn’t the only leading American politician of his generation to parade in open cars.

Richard Nixon did so during a tour of Latin America in 1958, though not for a notorious motorcade through Caracas, where a mob stopped his car and smashed the windows.

But Mr. Kennedy’s disdain for the risk represented by his open limo came in for delicate censure in the Warren Commission report, which noted that presidential security was necessarily dependent on “the activities and nature of the occupant of the Office of President and his willingness to conform to plans for his safety.”

The wonder may be not that Mr. Kennedy was killed, but that he lasted that long.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com...get/article15543696/

-rduckwor

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post

Eek

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Please. Enlighten us.

flashguy

You have to look at the context. In the very next verse after the infamous "sell your cloak and buy one," Jesus quotes a prophecy from Isaiah (chapter 53 verse 12) that he (Jesus) would be numbered with the transgressors. The Hebrew word used for transgressors also means rebels and many extrapolate that to "criminals."

We know that Simon Peter actually lashed out with his sword and Jesus rebuked him for it, then healed the ear of Malchus. So it is reasonable to believe that Jesus did not actually want his disciples to defend him with violence. (And in fact, they only had 2 swords between the 12 of them and Jesus said that was enough.) Therefore, the reason he told them to get a sword, if they didn't already have one, was simply to fulfill the prophecy that Jesus would be apprehended amongst other rebels/criminals.

People will further try to discern the meaning of the passage and I certainly don't claim to be the only holder of its truth. That is what I believe, though. I definitely don't think it means anything in regards to us making sure we are armed, though I do not see anything in Jesus' teaching that tells us not to, either (that should be obvious.)

do you just know this stuff? Or do you have to look it up when responding. It always amazed me when religious people are like "well technically no, if you look at chapter 73, verse 14, lines 3-7, book of moses, you'll see jesus referenced this, which you can find more information on, and an explanation for on line 3 of verse 22, chapter 91.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Please. Enlighten us.

flashguy

do you just know this stuff? Or do you have to look it up when responding. It always amazed me when religious people are like "well technically no, if you look at chapter 73, verse 14, lines 3-7, book of moses, you'll see jesus referenced this, which you can find more information on, and an explanation for on line 3 of verse 22, chapter 91.

It's all about interpretation. My example above makes sense too. Smile

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:

All you have to do is read the verse before and the verse after. It's not difficult to figure out the context especially in this case.

But to answer your question, yes I have thought about this passage many times before and studied it, mostly because people like to use it to justify deadly response to threats. Like I said, I don't think that's what it is at all, but I also don't think Jesus tells us not to take care to protect and defend ourselves.

Furthermore, the Bible is a book like others. You can't just open to a random page, read it, and expect to know what it all means.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
YJ, thanks for the explanation and discussion.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Now the Pope "hopes to mend ties with Islam." Roll Eyes

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/pope...-wary-115539238.html

Pope Francis hopes to mend ties with Muslims on his trip to Egypt on Friday but faces criticism from church conservatives for meeting Islamic religious leaders after a spate of deadly attacks against Christians.

In a video message to the people of Egypt on Tuesday, Francis said the world had been "torn by blind violence, which has also afflicted the heart of the your dear land" and said he hoped his trip could help peace and inter-religious dialogue.

Security is a primary concern less than three weeks after 45 people were killed in attacks on Coptic Christian churches in Alexandria and Tanta, claimed by Islamic State, on Palm Sunday.

But Francis has insisted on using an ordinary car during his 27 hours in Cairo, continuing his practice of shunning armored limousines in order to be closer to people.

Francis will meet President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi; Sheikh Ahmed al-Tayeb, the Grand Imam of al-Azhar, the world's most influential center of Sunni Islamic theology and learning; and Pope Tawadros II, head of the Coptic Orthodox Church, who barely escaped the Alexandria bombing.

Sisi declared a three-month state of emergency after the attacks.

A main reason for the trip is to try to strengthen relations with the 1,000-year-old Azhar center that were cut by the Muslim side in 2011 over what it said were repeated insults of Islam by Francis's predecessor, Pope Benedict.

Ties with the center were restored last year after Tayeb visited the Vatican. Tayeb, widely seen as one of the most moderate senior clerics in Egypt, has repeatedly condemned Islamic State and its practice of declaring others as apostates and infidels as a pretext for waging violent jihad.

The Vatican says that Francis, who denounces the idea of violence in God's name, is convinced that Christian-Muslim dialogue is more important now than ever. Papal aides say a moderate like Tayeb would be an important ally in condemning radical Islam.

In Tuesday's message, Francis said he hoped the trip could bring "fraternity and reconciliation to all children of Abraham, particularly in the Islamic world, in which Egypt occupies a primary position" and "offer a valid contribution to inter-religious dialogue with the Islamic world".

The pope's views are not shared by all Catholics, however. Some conservatives say there should be no dialogue with Islam and that a "war of religion" is in progress.

Italian historian Roberto de Mattei said the Palm Sunday attacks should be "a brusque reality check for Pope Francis".

The perpetrators were "not unbalanced or crazy but bearers of a religious vision that has been combating Christianity since the seventh century," De Mattei, editor of the conservative monthly magazine Christian Roots, wrote in an editorial.

Novus Ordo Watch, an ultra-conservative Catholic blog, blasted the Vatican over the logo of the trip, which displays the Muslim crescent and the cross together, and derided the pope as "Mr. Coexist".

A leading Catholic scholar of Islam, Egyptian-born Father Samir Khalil Samir, said that Francis meant well but was naive.

"I think his ignorance of Islam does not help dialogue. He has said often that we know that Islam is a religion of peace but this is simply a mistake," Samir, who is based in Beirut, told reporters in Rome.

"We know there are certainly times of peace and a willingness for peace on the part of many Muslims but I can't read the Koran and pretend that it is a book that is oriented towards peace," he said.

The region has witnessed a massive exodus of Christians fleeing war and persecution in the past few decades, accelerated recently by the rise of Islamic State. Francis said in his message he hoped his visit could be a "consolation and ... encouragement to all Christians in the Middle East".

He will visit Cairo's largest Coptic cathedral to pray for the 28 people killed in a Christmas season blast last year and lay flowers in their memory.

Rights activists are concerned about the pope's meeting with President Sisi.

Sisi has sought to present himself as an indispensable bulwark against terrorism in the region, deflecting Western criticism that he has suppressed political opposition and human rights activists since he was elected in 2014.

Asked if the pope would raise human rights concerns, Vatican spokesman Greg Burke said Francis had made "trips more delicate than this one," adding "let's see what the pope has to say."

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post