SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pope Francis shuns bullet-proof vehicle for visit to Cairo despite recent terrorist attacks
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pope Francis shuns bullet-proof vehicle for visit to Cairo despite recent terrorist attacks Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Is it wrong to hope something happens? Even if it does not kill him but just to show how these animals think and act.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Is it wrong to hope something happens?
If you care about the safety and security of the planet, it's wrong to not wish for something to happen to this terrorist-loving asshole.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I want to say before this statement that it is not a troll of Catholics or Christians. My lack of understanding is very likley based on my own ignorance. I think my confusion lies between the relationship of man's "free will" vs "God's will" and what is believed by various branches of Christianity. Ok, here goes:

I never understood the whole bullet proof pope mobile thing. Why would be need it? Is he not in his place at God's will to remain in that place to fulfill God's plan? I often hear "it's God's plan" and other such declarations when people die or disasters happen. Wouldn't the Pope's fate lie in God's plan and wouldn't God protect the Pope from harm until that plan is fulfilled?

I would love to hear from practicing Catholics as to how they believe free will and God's plan interact in their fate.

Why would any Christian soldier or police officer wear body armor? Why would any Christian driver wear his seatbelt? Why would any Christian skateboarder wear a helmet? Why would any Christian beachgoer wear sunscreen? Or even go to the doctor? Or exercise?

Yes, I think that is my question. If you truly believe God is in total control of your outcome, why would you do these things? Perhaps I misunderstand and most don't think God controls the outcome of our daily lives. Just trying to understand where God's plan stops and personal responsibility starts in the minds of the faithful. I expect that line varies by denomination and even among individuals within a given denomination. Again, seeking knowledge and opinions not dogging anyone for what they believe.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
is it me or does he seem to be begging for something to happen? I mean ok you don't like the pope mobile, but why make it public what you will be doing and when?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Please, don't interrupt the man when he's working. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
I want to say before this statement that it is not a troll of Catholics or Christians. My lack of understanding is very likley based on my own ignorance. I think my confusion lies between the relationship of man's "free will" vs "God's will" and what is believed by various branches of Christianity. Ok, here goes:

I never understood the whole bullet proof pope mobile thing. Why would be need it? Is he not in his place at God's will to remain in that place to fulfill God's plan? I often hear "it's God's plan" and other such declarations when people die or disasters happen. Wouldn't the Pope's fate lie in God's plan and wouldn't God protect the Pope from harm until that plan is fulfilled?

I would love to hear from practicing Catholics as to how they believe free will and God's plan interact in their fate.

Why would any Christian soldier or police officer wear body armor? Why would any Christian driver wear his seatbelt? Why would any Christian skateboarder wear a helmet? Why would any Christian beachgoer wear sunscreen? Or even go to the doctor? Or exercise?

Yes, I think that is my question. If you truly believe God is in total control of your outcome, why would you do these things? Perhaps I misunderstand and most don't think God controls the outcome of our daily lives. Just trying to understand where God's plan stops and personal responsibility starts in the minds of the faithful. I expect that line varies by denomination and even among individuals within a given denomination. Again, seeking knowledge and opinions not dogging anyone for what they believe.

I think these are good questions that nobody will be able to fully answer.

IMO, God's will and humanity's personal choice have a mysterious relationship. I think the mystery is there for people to keep searching to understand the answers. How can finite people ever understand an infinite God? At some level God seems to want people to participate with him but not with just "blind" faith.

Again, this is just my opinion. It would also be a longer answer with more time. I am not in the group that believes we should have everything about God and faith figured out before we believe. I am also not in the group that lives by "blind" faith that doesn't require people to make choices that matter.

TLDR, I believe He is in control but allows our choices to matter. At what level? I don't know but I am also not willing to ignore the laws of physics, the brain he gave me and the measures I can take to keep my family safe.

(These are all my opinion and I am sure I could be clearer or better explained through email if anyone wants.)

Dale

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Forgive me, but the current Pope has nothing to do with God. I am being completely serious. God is not his concern. Political activism and only political activism is what concerns this disgusting sack of commie shit.

He's just another loudmouthed, empty-headed "community organizer"

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I admit I have only read a VERY SMALL portion of the bible, and only when required when I was in school.

There is a section that says ,I believe, if you own two cloaks, sell one and buy a sword.

To me that means you are supposed to protect yourself from people who mean to harm or kill you.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
I admit I have only read a VERY SMALL portion of the bible and only when required when I was in school.
You're still way ahead of Pope Community Organizer in that respect.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I haven't been a "practicing" Catholic for quite some time, and this current pope exemplifies exactly why...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The Pope is tempting fate. I suspect I know why.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Well, I'm rootin' for him! Razz

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Forgive me, but the current Pope has nothing to do with God. I am being completely serious. God is not his concern. Political activism and only political activism is what concerns this disgusting sack of commie shit.

He's just another loudmouthed, empty-headed "community organizer"

It would be interesting to see if the Catholic Church would finally get up off its ass and do something.

If, as a church, you're shilling for left wing governmental policies (top-down coercion) and not trying to save souls (individual choice to change/worship) what are you even doing other than collecting money to keep the beast alive?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9157 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not a chance. Just look at how long it took the Catholic church to even acknowledge the rampant child molestation practiced by Catholic Priests over decades, centuries, most likely.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
They should publish his plans in a news article. Sounds smart.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:I think the idea of "God's plan" is a way for people to cope when bad shit happens.

Of course it is. People (understandably) have a dang tough time accepting the death of a child to cancer, a plane crash or some other unexplainable event. It brings them comfort to think that it is part of a larger plan.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
I admit I have only read a VERY SMALL portion of the bible, and only when required when I was in school.

There is a section that says ,I believe, if you own two cloaks, sell one and buy a sword.

To me that means you are supposed to protect yourself from people who mean to harm or kill you.

it doesn't mean what you think it means, though many people like to interpret it as you have.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Well, I'm rootin' for him! Razz

Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Francis!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Not sure what is dumber...The Pope riding around Cairo in an unarmored car....or having the Vatican spokesman confirm that fact and even brag about it in advance of the trip.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Doesn't seem prudent.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post