SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pope Francis shuns bullet-proof vehicle for visit to Cairo despite recent terrorist attacks
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pope Francis shuns bullet-proof vehicle for visit to Cairo despite recent terrorist attacks Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
What could go wrong? Roll Eyes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...visit-cairo-despite/

Pope Francis has chosen not to travel in a bullet-proof vehicle for his first trip to Egypt this week, despite a recent spate of terrorist attacks targeting the country’s Christians.

The Pope will fly from Rome to Cairo on Friday for a two-day visit intended to build on inter-faith dialogue with Muslim leaders and to show solidarity with beleaguered Christian communities in the Middle East.

Despite his vulnerability as a potential terrorist target, the Pope will not travel through the streets of Cairo in an armoured vehicle, the Vatican said on Monday.

“The Pope will use a closed car to move around, but not an armoured one," said Greg Burke, the Vatican spokesman. “That's how he wanted it.”

The Pope has in the past likened bullet-proof vehicles to “sardine cans”, saying he does not like traveling in them because they prevent him from engaging with ordinary people.

The pontiff’s visit comes at a time of acute fear and uncertainty for the country’s Christian community.

Last week gunmen attacked security forces at a checkpoint near the famous St Catherine's Monastery in the Sinai desert, killing a police officer and injuring three others. The attack was claimed by Islamic State and was the first time the terrorist group had targeted the ancient monastery.

It came just a week after suicide bombers attacked two churches on Palm Sunday, one in the Nile Delta city of Tanta and the other in Alexandria, killing 45 people. Those assaults were also claimed by IS, which has vowed more attacks against Christians in Egypt.

In December, a bombing at Cairo’s main Coptic cathedral killed at least 25 people and wounded dozens of others, most of them women and children.

The Holy See said it was not unduly concerned about security. “Security is an issue everywhere, not just in Egypt,” said Mr Burke. “Are we worried? I wouldn’t use the word ‘worry’. The security measures are similar to many trips. The Egyptians obviously want everything to go well.”

During his two-day visit, the Pope will meet Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, the president, as well as Sheikh Ahmed al-Tayeb, the Grand Imam of the 1,000-year-old Al Azhar mosque. He will celebrate Mass, meet the country’s bishops and pray for Christians who have been killed in terrorist attacks.

Following the attack on St Catherine’s Monastery, the Egyptian military claimed to have killed 21 extremists in the Sinai, 19 of them in an airstrike.

The monastery is a popular destination for Western tourists and within easy reach of beach resorts along the Red Sea coast. Founded in the sixth century, it is one of the oldest Christian monasteries in the world and a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Christians make up around 10 per cent of Egypt’s population of 92 million people.

Islamic State has waged a low-level war against soldiers and police in the Sinai for years but is now targeting Christians and broadening its reach into the rest of Egypt.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
This guys is simply NOT smart, AT ALL.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
He will be martyred by martyrs.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance..."

General John Sedgwick - May 9th, 1864

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I often wonder what it will take for liberals to see the danger that islam presents to the world. How long will it be before even they realize that hugging a muslim will do nothing to curb their desire to plunge a knife your back.

If, and when, all non-muslims begin treating all muslims as terrorists or terrorist sympathizers, then we will begin to get a handle on this problem. Until then? Many more people are going to die at the hands of those savages.

Me? Intolerant? Yep. Color me guilty.

Oh, and yes, the Holy Father is an idiot.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Good plan. I endorse it.

He needs to get out and mix with the crowd as well. With no security. He needs to test his rhetoric in the real world.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
No problem. They won't hurt one of their biggest international supporters.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
While he surely seems to be a supporter, he's still an infidel to them.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I want to say before this statement that it is not a troll of Catholics or Christians. My lack of understanding is very likley based on my own ignorance. I think my confusion lies between the relationship of man's "free will" vs "God's will" and what is believed by various branches of Christianity. Ok, here goes:

I never understood the whole bullet proof pope mobile thing. Why would be need it? Is he not in his place at God's will to remain in that place to fulfill God's plan? I often hear "it's God's plan" and other such declarations when people die or disasters happen. Wouldn't the Pope's fate lie in God's plan and wouldn't God protect the Pope from harm until that plan is fulfilled?

I would love to hear from practicing Catholics as to how they believe free will and God's plan interact in their fate.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me try. Sometimes God's plan may include my not being stupid.

As for this Pope; seems like a great idea to me.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
With the stupidity he has been spewing since being pope, I would not mind all of it biting him back in Cairo.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
What could go wrong?
Nothing, except the terrorsists might miss him.

Here's to what is hopefully your final trip, Your Holiness.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
God's will vs. my free will and His plan:

I was given a gift. To allow demons to take that gift from me is unacceptable. I will not give it to them--they will have to take it.

I can carry an RPG with me. But if it is God's will that I die that day, I will die. I lose nothing by defending the gift I was given, and in fact, I believe I am meant to defend it.

Is the Pope following his own free will and refusing to properly defend his own gift? Only the Pope has the answer to this. If he is murdered, was it God's plan, or did the Pope give his gift to the demons? We can't know. We are not in the Pope's head, and can't know what he feels he is called to do, if in fact he is being called at all.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
While he surely seems to be a supporter, he's still an infidel to them.

We understand that, he doesn't seem to want to.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I read it as God basically gave us everything we need to survive in this world, it's up to us to find it. There's some stuff we haven't found yet, such as cures for certain diseases, and the ability for certain people to cohabitate in peace. But we've certainly come a long way.

I think the idea of "God's plan" is a way for people to cope when bad shit happens.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Wait until he sees how they drive in Cairo. Armor won't protect him from that.

It will demonstrate as vividly as possible the central idea of Islam, Submission to the Will of Allah.

A driver in Cairo uses his horn, not his brakes. Using brakes is considered cowardly. There are Fiat taxis in Cairo with pristine brakes, but on it's 3rd or 4th horn, with 200,000 kms.

I stayed on the 23rd or 24th floor of the Ramses Hilton. I couldn't figure out what the perpetual honking noise was outside my balcony window. I saw no geese. It turned out to be the perpetual traffic 24/7 down below.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
How can so many people be so grossly, and willfully, ignorant of the scourge of our time?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes God's plan may include my not being stupid.

....I like it!!!!

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
How can so many people be so grossly, and willfully, ignorant of the scourge of our time?
What does Facebook have to do with this?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I want to say before this statement that it is not a troll of Catholics or Christians. My lack of understanding is very likley based on my own ignorance. I think my confusion lies between the relationship of man's "free will" vs "God's will" and what is believed by various branches of Christianity. Ok, here goes:

I never understood the whole bullet proof pope mobile thing. Why would be need it? Is he not in his place at God's will to remain in that place to fulfill God's plan? I often hear "it's God's plan" and other such declarations when people die or disasters happen. Wouldn't the Pope's fate lie in God's plan and wouldn't God protect the Pope from harm until that plan is fulfilled?

I would love to hear from practicing Catholics as to how they believe free will and God's plan interact in their fate.

Why would any Christian soldier or police officer wear body armor? Why would any Christian driver wear his seatbelt? Why would any Christian skateboarder wear a helmet? Why would any Christian beachgoer wear sunscreen? Or even go to the doctor? Or exercise?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post