SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Luminous Hands on Watches...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luminous Hands on Watches... Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
I started to post this in the “What’s Your Deal!” section, but decided to put it here instead as it’s more a question than a bitch/complaint... so here goes.

Why do watch makers bother with “luminous” hands and dials when they are mostly useless??? I mean seriously, I just bought a very nice Citizen watch, and even after subjecting it to a very strong light right at bedtime (and wearing it all day in natural light), the hands are too dim to see by 1:30-2:00 in the morning... much less last all night! It seems to me that they could save money and hassle by simply offering a watch without that “feature”, or add a “backlight” if they really wanted it to be useful all night long!

Just thinking and wondering out loud. I really love this new Citizen watch, and will not part with it just because the hands don’t glow all night, but I have to ask the question after owning this watch, plus a Seiko and Pulsar with the same “feature” that ended up being useless. Why bother???

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The lume on my Seiko 007J glows brightly all night long. Ditto my 15 year old Swiss Army Diver. I’ve found that dive watches generally feature brighter lume than many other types.

All-night luminance in my watch is important to me.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The lume on my Seiko (SKX013) is great. After a day on the wrist I can still see it in the wee hours of the morning when I check it.

Marathon makes watches that use tritium on the hands and markers if you want glow all night functionality.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Ball uses so much tritium, you can use it as a nuclear power source.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Ball uses so much tritium, you can use it as a nuclear power source.

Bill referenced exposing his luminous hands to very strong light, so I assumed he was talking about the glow-in-the-dark paint rather than tritium vials.

That said, there are certainly brighter watches than others. I currently have a Traser dive watch that is considerably brighter than my last Citizen Promaster.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Some brands are better than others.

Seiko is generally pretty dang good.

Citizen is OK.

Some others just suck.

I work my Seiko Sports 5 last night, at 05:00 it was still going strong.

I prefer tritium and have 2 in my rotation.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
depends which citizen. their chronomaster ( aka The Citizen ) has top notch lume. you don't have it for the lume though.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
You can thank Rolex for switching to blue lume, from green, a decade ago. Everyone followed suit. They marketed it as not being as initially bright as green, but it would hold a charge longer. Not only has this not been my experience, but the blue lume seems more dependent on surface area to be visible than the green. Everyone just needs to go back to green.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I own a Omega Seamaster that I can charge the lumen on the hands with a flashlight right before bedtime around 12:00.
Six hours later when I get up it is dim but I can still read the time.
I am not sure if watch companies use the same type of paint or not. It might also depend on how much they use.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Steinhart with “superluminova” that lasts all night.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Agree - it's been a gripe of mine for awhile that's driven a few unsuccessful purchases.

There should be some minimum industry standard for brightness and duration of luminosity for these watches. Otherwise, it's just lying and misleading.

ETA: Casio, in my experience, is the worst. I now have two Citizen's (PCAT and a Pro Diver) where the lume is sufficient in brightness and duration; although the hands on the PCAT are slim and so a little harder to see. That seems to be the tradeoff for now (for me) to get the additional features I want.

I hear Seiko and Ball are better but have not been able to compare (although online tests seem to suggests Seiko and Citizen aren't too different). At least that's the impression I got (depending on the models).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a 20 year old Luminox that still glowed sufficiently enough that I would be wearing now. I broke the glass and bought another from member Dave Truong which I would recommend for anyone needing a watch of quality at a fair price.

Eseaton

Posts: 2476 | Location: E. of Mississippi River | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My Luminox is very bright.
Once my eyes have adjusted to a dark bedroom, I can use its glow to navigate to and from the bathroom.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my Omega, Seiko dive, Tissot, and a Sinn watch have good lime. My early Invicta 8926 and a Bulova Precisionist have poor lume.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Find one of the old watches with Radium painted on the face. It will glow for hundreds of years. Just like the girls who painted them.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it has a lot to do with what material is used to provide the lume.

I had a cheap Fossil that could be 'recharged' with a flashlight.

My Citizen is really bright immediately after coming inside (sun or moon light, interestingly).

Those are my only 2 firsthand examples, my Movado is super simplistic with no lume.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Back in the old days, when men were men, they used radium to excite the phosphor on watch hands. Radium-226 has a half-life of about 1600 years!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
My old watch that I bought in the late sixties and took to the Navy was Radium.
I was able to read it on the low scale of my RM3 Frisker. Rad Con Team.

Posts: 1892 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
Seiko Luke rules! SKX fan here.

Posts: 1305 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post