SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dashcam - Easiest Install Ever
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dashcam - Easiest Install Ever Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted
Well, I've been thinking about getting a dashcam after viewing all the threads on here over the past few years. (I'm particularly entertained by Marsy's threads, I must confess.) What was stopping me was I wanted a clean installation, and I didn't want anything bulky or obtrusive. I was browsing the TacomaWorld forum, and came across a thread with much the same title as mine.

They showed a connector harness that attached to the mirror connector and converted the 12VDC to 5VDC USB. They also showed a small Garmin Mini camera.

Harness:

Camera:

Installed, looks like this in my Tacoma:

And the image screen grab from my phone:

Gotta say, easiest install ever. Took less than 5 minutes!

Dongar Technology is the one that makes the harness. They make several types, but they only seem to be available for Japanese cars. Worth it though!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3295 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve been running one for about 7 years now. They’re a great investment.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This is timely. I want to do this for both our cars. Currently have a plugged in one to the center console for the Highlander, don't have one for the Civic yet.

Where did you guys get yours?

Posts: 13085 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice setup. I ran wire for mine to get it down to the fuse box. I'd love to have something like that.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Here's the link for the harness:
https://www.dongartechnologies.com

And the cam:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/621281#overview

It's really compact, and with the wiring harness and a short (6") USB cable (you need to get that, not included; neither is the micro SD card), it tucks behind my mirror and I can't even see it.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3295 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Do you have to plug these in or do they make battery versions?

My car is a company car and they are severely strict on messing with anything on the car even something like this. Silly I know but I'm not about to lose a free car to test how far they are willing to go.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
the Garmin gps I have has one on it... 'best' video I've ever gotten was unfortunately me falling off a roof... but it did get this one which could be part of a scifi movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...wiI&feature=youtu.be

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
That adapter is a great idea. It wound help me as my mirror isn’t powered. I do have the camera in my Jeep and have been using it for a few months with no issues.

image post

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Do you have to plug these in or do they make battery versions?

My car is a company car and they are severely strict on messing with anything on the car even something like this. Silly I know but I'm not about to lose a free car to test how far they are willing to go.

Not sure about battery powered, but most of them can be powered by USB, so you can generally plug them into the built-in USB in most cars or into a USB-cigarette lighter adapter. In my car, the cigarette plug is ignition powered so it works perfect.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
the Garmin gps I have has one on it... 'best' video I've ever gotten was unfortunately me falling off a roof... but it did get this one which could be part of a scifi movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...wiI&feature=youtu.be

Well...are you gonna post that video or what?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9682 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm about the pull the trigger on one of these. Before doing so - any thoughts on the unit? Pros/cons? Recommendations? License plates are easily discernible?

Any thoughts on what mem card to get (I'm looking at Sandisk Extreme 64GB)? BTW, how many hours of video per GB - I'm confused by conflicting info on the webz.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Dashcams are just a good idea. I have one in my Jeep and in my wife's Tahoe. A few months back, my wife captured this idiot failing to understand the fundamentals of navigating a roundabout; he nearly collided head on with her.

Park City loves to pretend to be some niche European, mountain town, and as a result installs all these traffic circles here, yet hardly a single damn person knows how to actually drive them. (For the record, I think roundabouts are great, as long as drivers are educated in how to drive them)

Exhibit A:

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Do you have it wired into your Tahoe? If so, how? Last week a lady blew through a red light doing 40+, if I had been a second faster on the light she would have eaten my Suburban's passenger door. At least there would have been witnesses.

Posts: 2512 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't see any plugs on my mirror, darn it.

I wish I could just use my cars front facing camera. I have one built into the mirror already, just no way (that I know of) to use it as a dash cam.

Edit, removed a plastic cover and found this harness.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Do you have it wired into your Tahoe? If so, how? Last week a lady blew through a red light doing 40+, if I had been a second faster on the light she would have eaten my Suburban's passenger door. At least there would have been witnesses.

Not hardwired, no. Currently the wire is run along the trim to the a power port on the dash that powers on with the accessories.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have an old iPhone 4. Seems like there is dash cam software for iPhones that may be good enough for my needs that I can use as a second dash cam.

Problem. It seems like iPhone 4 is limited to iOS 7 while dash cam software in the App Store now seem to require iOS 10+.

Is there a way to get older versions of sw that will work on a old iPhone 4?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
A few months back, my wife captured this idiot failing to understand the fundamentals of navigating a roundabout
I know a former taxicab driver who would have sped up and let the idiot sideswipe him.

Now to investigate my GMC rearview mirror for a power outlet.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I used one of these same adapters to get rid of the long cable that I'd run in my wife's 2017 Explorer. Worked exactly as advertised.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Damn, My new Crosstrek has the homelink mirror but no plug in option.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:

Not hardwired, no. Currently the wire is run along the trim to the a power port on the dash that powers on with the accessories.

Update to this. I just ordered the universal harness from Dongar Technology. I got two. One for my wife's Tahoe and one for my Jeep. It looks fairly easy to tap into the existing harness in the mirror for both vehicles. Gonna give it a shot.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)