SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What wandered through my yard last night?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What wandered through my yard last night? Login/Join 
posted
Today I was working in my yard and discovered that a critter had wandered into my yard overnight. The critter left a "calling card", but I'm sort of wondering what KIND of critter left it. Possibilities are:
1. Coyote (most likely)
2. Bear (I hope not, scat probably too small)
3. Mountain Lion (see comments for #2)
4. Feral cat (scat might be too small)
5. Feral dog (never seen one around here)
6. Possum (scat too small-maybe)
7. Raccoon (they're around, never seen one near the house)
8. Deer

I'm leaning towards the coyote. The lack of fur in the scat is strange though, considering that we have a good supply of mice, moles & rabbits around.
There have been bears as close as 5 miles away, but none spotted around here.
A Mountain Lion would be VERY unusual here.
Might be a large coon.
The "nuts" in the scat are about the size of small peanuts. The only natural occuring seeds like that in the area are maple seeds.

Scat picture is here: SCAT

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fox to me.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'd second the fox guess.

Edit: Raccoon. Google raccoon scat and you get a virtually identical picture.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only way to be sure is to taste it :-)

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good thing you did not step in it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Yep, raccoon.

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
'coon, definitely 'coon

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Coon with a second guess of possum

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
coon....it's cherry eating season

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
The only way to be sure is to taste it :-)

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
If you look close you may well find similar piles under larger trees close to the trunk

Racoons will climb up to a forked branch & take a nap....and leave a token of their appreciation
We had a trapper take 7 of them from our wood shed a couple years back

gabby old guy but knew his stuff

Do you or neighbors have cherry trees close?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are no cherry trees close that I know of. Most of the area is small acreages of about 5 acres with people owning a few horses (I have an acre in a "rural cluster subdivision" of 7 homes). I suppose there COULD be a cherry tree hidden in an acreage nearby. My little patches of strawberries & blueberries hven't been molested, nor has my compost bin (with food scraps within) been raided.
I know there are coons in the area, I just haven't seen any traces around here until now.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Feral hobo.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering that you are a SigForumite--- could it possibly be the dreaded Honey Badger?? Big Grin

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Homeless person from Portland?

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
Looks like a fox to me.

You got some strange looking foxes in your area.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
See if Animal Mother has any interest in those peanuts...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Scat from the same animal can look different depending on what it has been eating. Coon scat from around where I live looks a lot different than that and it is longer rather than clumpy.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getcha a game camera in case they come back.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Social Justice Warrior.... Better watch out!

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post