SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Legal resident versus citizen rights - voting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal resident versus citizen rights - voting Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted
Did not know, but, apparently, legal residents are not allowed to vote. Only citizens. News to me, and I guess this guy:

ZEBULON, NC (WTVD) -- A Wake County man was sentenced to four months in prison for illegally voting in the 2012 and 2016 elections.

Roberto Hernandez-Cuarenta, 57, of Zebulon, was convicted on two counts of voting by alien.

Although Hernandez-Cuarenta is a legal resident of the United States, the native of Mexico is not a U.S. citizen, rendering him ineligible to cast ballots in U.S. elections.

According to authorities, Hernandez-Cuarenta, "knowing he was not a United States citizen, did knowingly vote in two elections held in part for the purpose of electing a candidate for the Office of President, Vice President, and Member of the House of Representative."

More...

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
A legal resident, by definition, means they are legally residing in the country. Folks with green cards are one example. They are not citizens of the country and are not able to vote. These are the folks the left wants to give voting rights to, despite not being citizens.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
A legal resident, by definition, means they are legally residing in the country. Folks with green cards are one example. They are not citizens of the country and are not able to vote. These are the folks the left wants to give voting rights to, despite not being citizens.

"the defendant was granted a Special Agricultural Worker application in June of 1992. He was subsequently given legal and permanent resident status as a seasonal agricultural worker"

He was legal. And he's been here a while.

Not that he should have voted, but he isn't illegal. And how did he get on the voter registry, and who checked him in to vote?

We can't ID at the polls though. That's racist somehow when we're discussing citizen/non-citizen verification.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
These are the folks the left wants to give voting rights to, despite not being citizens.

I don't agree with this statement. Liberals clearly want illegal aliens to be granted rights formerly only given to citizens. Perhaps they'd like resident aliens to be allowed to vote, as well; however, I think most individuals who've gone through the correct process to live in this country would also respect its laws with regard to voting privilege.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
With 1 in 30 people in the US being illegal, and most have drivers licenses, and most are under "motor voter" laws, they are automatically registered to vote. Saying there is "no proof" of widespread illegal voting is somewhere between naive and bald faced ddeception.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
quote:

"the defendant was granted a Special Agricultural Worker application in June of 1992. He was subsequently given legal and permanent resident status as a seasonal agricultural worker"

He was legal. And he's been here a while.

Not that he should have voted, but he isn't illegal. And how did he get on the voter registry, and who checked him in to vote?

We can't ID at the polls though. That's racist somehow when we're discussing citizen/non-citizen verification.

Basically what I was saying. You can be a legal resident for years (or indefinitely) and still not be eligible to vote as a citizen can. I too would like to know how he got on a registry in the first place.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Nope. We don’t need voter ID cards. Uh uh. No way. Nope...don’t need ‘em. Bunch of racists...

[/sarcasm]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Basically what I was saying. You can be a legal resident for years (or indefinitely) and still not be eligible to vote as a citizen can. I too would like to know how he got on a registry in the first place.

When you go to get a Driver's License they will register you.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have a friend from Australia who is a legal resident. He tells me that he basically has to refuse to register to vote whenever he renews his Driver License. The ladies at the DPS office are pretty strongly interested in registering everybody that gets a Driver License. Makes me wonder how many Hispanics vote illegally in my county, which shares a border with Mexico.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC legal residents are prohibited from voting in FEDERAL elections, not State. This is what the left wants to change.

Posts: 587 | Location: Dover, NH | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I just wish all the deceased folk would stop voting and that included all the 116 years especially

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Liberal Left is fond of screaming that "there is no evidence of voter fraud."

But think about it. With no voter ID and no proof of citizenship required, and especially in "Sanctuary Cities", how would one even conduct an investigation to discover voter fraud ?

So. of course there is no (or very little) evidence. We are specifically excluded from gathering the information which would be the evidence!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Green card holders (permanent residents) are allowed to vote in local elections ONLY.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How the fuck does it make sense for illegals to vote here?

Do supporters of this think they can vote in France? In Mexico? In China? Have they tried? For fucks sake.

Voter fraud brings us one step closer to war. We rely on the the political process to have our voice. When that process is biased and corrupted, we will be forced to have our voice heard in other ways.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Citizen with ID to vote. It isn't difficult. The kicking and screaming over it is because one side wants every single body, dead or alive, to be able to vote for them.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
With 1 in 30 people in the US being illegal, and most have drivers licenses, and most are under "motor voter" laws, they are automatically registered to vote. Saying there is "no proof" of widespread illegal voting is somewhere between naive and bald faced ddeception.

This "fake fact" has been shot down on this forum so many times; but sadly is still believed.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A legal resident can usually vote in a local issue election. (Most places)

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post